The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:04 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Ceylon satinwood, looks like bees wing bubinga a little bit. I've heard of a guitar or two made of these, sounded wonderful!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:07 PM

I like the look of the ceylon satinwood. Well, I particularly like the idea that you're not even sure that it is indeed ceylon satinwood (or that it is definitely not ceylon satinwood but you're calling it that)... nothing wrong with a bit of mystery in a guitar. Having cast my vote I should also mention that all those woods look great... the pear sounds tasty, the limba would seem to make a great dance wood, the cedar looks curvy, and given your previous experience with chechen it must be in contention. Enjoy. berf
Old 04-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Bruce,

Have your morning coffee, read the paper and just pick the set that inspires you. It's a spec. guitar after all and is not being built to cater to a specific client's desires.

:-)

Bob
Old 04-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

I'd like to see you build with the Ceylon Satinwood. It's been an interesting wood to me for a number of years, and I'd like to hear your thoughts about it in comparison to your other builds. I'd have no issues with the color; I like things a bit different. (not everyone thinks my orange Pernambuco guitar is the ideal color for a guitar but I really like it).

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 04-11-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:44 PM

the Cuban Mahogany would b my choice if the guitar were being built for me ...WRX Multi scale...now would you release a nice old AAA Euro spruce top that might match up nicely with this lovely .. Cuban back/side set ?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie View Post
the Cuban Mahogany would b my choice if the guitar were being built for me ...WRX Multi scale...now would you release a nice old AAA Euro spruce top that might match up nicely with this lovely .. Cuban back/side set ?
Not sure why you want to down grade the top? My standard material is Rivolta "E" grade Italian spruce, which they describe as their highest, or "master" grade. I do have some AAA German on hand, and to tell you the truth, it's no worse than the average piece of Rivolta I have. When I make a WRX I usually choose the worst top I have for it. Of course we are talking about the worst of the tops I have already culled as the best I could get, so how bad could they be? Most people's AAA, probably.

I am leaning toward the Pear at the moment, and I am pleased to see others have also liked it, as I will hope to one day sell the guitar I make from it. My neighbor, violin maker Joe Grubaugh, recently made a pearwood cello that he showed me. It was truly lovely and it had a pretty good sized knot (perhaps an inch and a half across!) in it too! My pear appears to have a couple of tiny pin knots, so I suppose it may be the nature of the beast.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:50 PM

Hi Bruce,

I would vote for that Limba! I bet those colours would look quite compelling under finish. I'm surprised you don't see more of that wood, given that it's affordable, attractive, light and resonant. Maybe I'm missing something?

Murray
Old 04-11-2014, 10:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Plus one on the Limba. Limba will surprise you. It's a very light, lively, responsive wood. I imagine it would be fantastic for making small-bodied fingerstyle guitars, or Flamencos. Pair it with a Port Orford top-- now there would be some significant wow factor.
That Limba set you have there is a very pretty specimen. I'd like to see how you would interpret it, Bruce. My .02
Old 04-14-2014, 01:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Today I sprayed the 7th and what I expect to be the final coat on Tom's guitar. Tom acknowledged in another thread that this is his guitar, so I suppose I can use his name now! This will be his second guitar of mine that I know of, and the current one is good enough that I cannot be certain of beating it . . . but I expect I will. Perhaps he will decide to sell the first one and someone else will be extremely pleased with their acquisition, I'd think.

I will start a new guitar later today most likely, and you will be the first to hear just what it is. It fact I am thinking of "starting" two. The other is a actually a completion of a false start. The customer for the Maple 0 I just finished nixed the first rosette I made, but not before I had completed the top. Although he had not specified one thing or another, I indulged him and started over. So I have a complete 0 top and I am intrigued by the small Limba guitar suggestion. Hmmm.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Bruce,
Take it slow and let the wood get nice and hot before bending the Satinwood (Movingui). It can be a tad tricky and sometimes likes to facet on the waist and upper bout radii. Its well worth the work in the long run though Adrianne's #2 was built from it and sold the day after it hit the store.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:11 PM

That looks like movingui, Bruce. Sometimes called "African satinwood" . Ceylon satinwood is harder and finer textured. As is typical with other wood names, unrelated woods with a pale yellow color get named satinwood.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:00 PM

+1 on the limba!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

I think you guys may have the right name, I know for a fact that I do not. In any case, it's not what I'm going with so it'll have to be another day. I have joined the Pear and the Limba.

I have also picked a top and a style for the guitar. It will be a 000 C, my design rather than Martins, not that there's much difference. I have joined the top and I have installed a rosette. The rosette is kind of complex, and added about 4 hours to the build, as well as be a bit less than perfect. I did something similar for TAMCO a couple of years ago. If I did another one similar to it right now I'd get closer to heaven, but this one will do as I still think I'm WRX-ing this one and that means I allow a bit more latitude where perfection is concerned.

This top IS German spruce, and came to me from Martin Guhl a number of years ago, 2007 I think (written in my hand in pencil at the time). But it was cut 30 years before that, he says, so as tops go it is pretty aged. It is very dense and stiff, in big contrast to the last guitar, which is nearly as stiff but weighs far less and has a lower surface hardness. This one is in the Adi range, and I am pursuing a loud and dry sort of sound. We'll see what really happens.

Here's the cleanest part of the rosette:
Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Doin' the Limba

Gluing the sides to the blocks on the Black Limba single 0:

It is worth mentioning that the sides bent extremely easily, though there was more than normal spring-back. They did come out a bit thicker than my usual.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:13 PM

Default Other styles

Bruce, my guitar which is almost completed, you descibed is Martin-like with Sexauer interpretations. I have been wondering if you also do versions of Gibson guitars? If so, how did they turn out? Are you inclined to build more Gibson-like guitars in the future? I am anxious and excited, but not ovely anxious for the new guitar to be completed. Tom

Last edited by frquent flyer; 04-16-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop