The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-09-2014, 10:57 AM

Default ISLAND Acoustics (Nylon & Steel)

Hey all! It's about darn time I got to posting my work on some "real" guitars! I've been busy at the shop hashing out these prototypes for a couple of months now. This has been the state of my bench for too long:

A little on where I'm coming from with these projects: I'm a HUGE fan of Ken Parker and all the crazy stuff he's engineered for the guitar. I'm a fan of a lot of contemporary builders who are really pushing to innovate guitar construction. I'm however not a big fan of the "modern" aesthetic. I've always loved early small body guitars. It started with a fascination with old Stellas, Oscar Schmidts and the like, which eventually lead to the designs of Lacote and Stauffer. The first guitar I built was a Lacote reproductionish. The best steel string guitar I ever played was a Gibson L-00 from the 30s, and I think it's pretty much perfect as far as lines go. So I wanted to marry some of the ideas and construction innovations of modern builders, with the lines of those old guitars I love, and finish them off with my own style and sparse but bold ornamentation.

The first step was the neck attachment. Ken Parker. Genius. I love how his design gets rid of the heel, and takes the saddle out of the equation as far as setting action goes. I worked closely with a friend of mine in the composites and aerospace machining industry. He also happens to be a guitar nut and works with me on many of my other parts. What we came up with was this machined aircraft aluminium post and sleeve.

It threads into the neck and offers about 3/4" of lateral adjustment. Adjustment access will be via the back of the guitar through a small hole with an allen key, much like the Parker.

It will sit in a massive block:

I'm really curious and excited to see how this will turn out. And a BIG thanks to JR for having faith in me and my work and taking one of the (nylon string) prototypes!

Any builders with thoughts/input/criticisms of the design, please chime in.

Nylon Modern Romantic #2 (For JR)
One piece Red Oak back + sides
Sinker Red Cedar top
Italian Celluloid binding.
Doug Fir neck (but maybe Mahogany...)
Reclaimed Zapatero fretboard
K&K Pickup

Nylon Modern Romantic #3
Flamed Birch back and sides
Engleman Top
Hand rubbed Amber or Cherryburst
Italian Celluloid binding
Neck TBD
Black Locust fretboard

Steel String DAB-00 #1
This is a 12-fret Gibson L-00
Primavera back & sides
Engleman Top
Doug Fir Neck
Black Locust fretboard
Italian Celluloid binding

The wood has been processed for all of these instruments. Sides have been bent and laminated. But before I make much more progress on these instruments, I think it's time I finish #1, which has been shelved for too long now. The label reads Nov. 2012. Cedar/Curly Maple

Old 03-09-2014, 01:29 PM

Looking forward to daring the future and honoring the past.

Wonderful dream guitars someday:
Mark Blanchard Pinyon (00) Ad/Koa slothead 12fret contour cutaway, Mark Blanchard Sugarpine (000) Ad/Mad fan 12 fret contour cutaway w/Manzer wedge
Old 03-11-2014, 09:19 AM

Spent some time squaring up the ends of the slots and cutting the square ramps. Trickier than I thought it would be.

Also got working on the bridge. After cutting the saddle and tie block slots on the shaper table, I fit the bridge on a 25' dome block.

Bone goes in, is flushed, string holes drilled. The tie block gets established using the table saw and the excess material is removed on the bandsaw.

From there it's all handwork, carving the wings and the channel between the saddle and tie block.

The finished bridge ended up being roughly 2grams heavier than what I shoot for.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:36 AM

The proper angle for the neck gets sanded into the heel block. It is held up against a fence that is attached perpendicular to the belt sander. The fence pivots to adjust angle. I forgot to snap a photo of this.

Once the angle is good, I cut the tenon into the neck block using a cradle that Mike Kennedy made for the table saw.

Afterwards, the tenon is reinforced about 2mm on each side with hardwood.

That's Daddy Mojo in the background (who is temporarily working out of our shop), fitting the neck on a custom tuxedo Rosetta with a MOP fretboard.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:00 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Looking great, Nic! I can't wait to play one of the first Island acoustics. Will the headstock get the Island logo plate? I think that's my Rosetta that Lenny is working on in the background. Love the pearl fretboard.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Looking great, Nic! I can't wait to play one of the first Island acoustics. Will the headstock get the Island logo plate? I think that's my Rosetta that Lenny is working on in the background. Love the pearl fretboard.
That is indeed your Rosie. It's real close to ready.

I wont be putting the badges on the headstocks. It's too bulky and industrial. They will get a label on the inside of the body. Perhaps one day I will get around to experimenting with branding or inlay, though...
Old 03-18-2014, 07:58 PM

This is the part of the build I find most challenging... and least enjoyable, (finalish) fitting the neck. Patience, sanding, lots of checking...

This is what it's looking like from the front:

And the back:

And after final carving, fitting, the heel cap goes on and I decided to stain the neck black. Homage to the old school.

And here are the back for the forthcoming 3 blondes:
Flamed Birch, that will get a hand rubbed burst
Primavera L-00
One Piece Red Oak for JR
Old 03-28-2014, 09:57 AM

A nice little diptych that Lenny from Daddy Mojo shot of me fitting the neck.

The French Polish is starting to SHINE!

In between sessions I managed to get the Red Oak rimset joined and (unidirectionally) arched in the dish.

Have a great weekend everybody.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:28 AM

An update is long overdue!

Been hard at work on JR's guitar and also making some R&D developments on the electric front as well.

The back got braced, and then re-braced (from 6 to 3 back braces) and voiced.

Bendy liners went in:

The soundhole got bound with Italian Celluloid:

Top is braced. A ladder variation that was developed by Jeremy Clark. I like it, a lot.:

And voiced. That closed circle is what I want, on the free plate:

Now it's time to glue 'er on!

Enjoy!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:49 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Looking good, Nic. Glad to see the progress. That celluloid looks really great with the wood selection.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Looking good, Nic. Glad to see the progress. That celluloid looks really great with the wood selection.
Thanks, JR! Your top went on last night, and it's officially a box. I'm going to put the end, and in this case front wedges in today.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:46 AM

Wow - cool stuff! Can't wait to see the finished product(s)!

Just curious...how will the aluminum connector be fastened to the neck?

Also, if I follow the pictures and description, I'm guessing that the neck/fingerboard will cantilever over the body - does this mean there will be a very tall bridge, or a negative neck angle or something? Really interested to see this in action!

Keep up the beautiful work, man.
Best,
Martin
Old 04-27-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Keith View Post
Wow - cool stuff! Can't wait to see the finished product(s)!

Just curious...how will the aluminum connector be fastened to the neck?

Also, if I follow the pictures and description, I'm guessing that the neck/fingerboard will cantilever over the body - does this mean there will be a very tall bridge, or a negative neck angle or something? Really interested to see this in action!

Keep up the beautiful work, man.
Best,
Martin
Hey Martin,

machine screws and threaded inserts for the connection. It all comes apart in the unlikely event things need servicing.
The neck will not float completely above the box (a la Parker) as I don't think the tall bridge will work out for the nylon string... or at least I don't think it will give a sound that JR will enjoy. It will however be elevated. And as for the SS version... well, I'm still drawing things out, we'll see how far i can take it
Old 04-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Looks great Nic ... love the neck joint hardware!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:24 AM

Thanks, Dave! The experiment is exciting.

Here's the box. Time to bind.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop