The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-22-2015, 10:34 AM

First, so sorry good people! I'd be posting here earlier if it wasn't for this bad flu..

Anyways, I gotta tell you your help is invaluable folks!
And you got me convinced! I should learn to read. I guess even some basic ability might help my jazz learning since having good ears takes time as well..

So I need to have a real book now..

As for your post mr. beaumont, it's only my problem if i didn't get something.. i'd do a search around, that would do it. Honestly, i found your approach to chords (plus the Youtube video) very helpful indeed. Thanks alot for sharing! You could absolutely go on if you want..
Old 01-26-2015, 09:19 AM

Do it! (re: learning to read), you won't regret it.

Why don't you pick a tune, and I could try doing a video of approaching the chords and stuff...show you how to dissect a chart.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-26-2015, 03:43 PM

That'd be amazing! Dont know what to say but thank you so much in advance sir!

My top favorites are: Minor Swing, Autumn Leaves and Wave.. pick any of these and you'd help me a great deal..

Btw, does the approach remain the same regardless of whether it's a gypsy or a bossa tune.. or are there some differences I should be aware of?
Old 01-26-2015, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I'm by no means a Jazz musician but play some Jazz; most of it might be considered Smooth Jazz. The arrangements my partner (who plays nylon string and is the lead mostly) are not particularly difficult or complex.

Quite a few we play have 2 chords in the melody and 2-4 chords in the chorus and/or turn-around.

Last edited by Turp; 01-26-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuitarist View Post
That'd be amazing! Dont know what to say but thank you so much in advance sir!

My top favorites are: Minor Swing, Autumn Leaves and Wave.. pick any of these and you'd help me a great deal..

Btw, does the approach remain the same regardless of whether it's a gypsy or a bossa tune.. or are there some differences I should be aware of?
Chords are chords, to an extent, but different styles call for different approaches, for sure.

Since both gypsy jazz and bossa have a very specific rhythmic element to them, I say we start with Autumn Leaves, so you can concentrate on one thing at a time...

Do you have a chart? This tune gets played in two keys--Em and Gm...G minor's the "bop" key, E minor's the traditional/gypsy jazz key...your pick.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:19 AM

I see.. okay so it would be Autumn Leaves.

Haven't bought the Real Book just yet, but should get my hands on one very soon so that shouldn't be a problem.

About the key.. I love listening to Bill Evans playing it. I guess that would be in the key of G minor, right? Which key is more "guitar-friendly"?

Again, thats very generous of you, thanks
Old 01-27-2015, 10:34 AM

LOL--if you're going to play jazz you gotta lose the notion of "guitar-friendly."

But I know what you mean.

I'd say Em is a pretty guitar friendly key, but let's do Gm on purpose then. Give me a day or two to cook something up.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuitarist View Post
I see.. okay so it would be Autumn Leaves.

Haven't bought the Real Book just yet, but should get my hands on one very soon so that shouldn't be a problem.

About the key.. I love listening to Bill Evans playing it. I guess that would be in the key of G minor, right? Which key is more "guitar-friendly"?

Again, thats very generous of you, thanks
I'd go with G minor. That's the most common key it's played in, in my experience, at least in straight jazz.

The old Real Book had it in E minor, because it happened to take it from one of the rare versions in that key. More guitar-friendly, sure, but a jazz guitarist needs to get used to flat keys, and not relying on open strings...

(I'll join you in looking forward to jeff's video... )
Old 01-27-2015, 11:26 AM

Yep.. I'm losing that way of thinking.. but in the hope that current players like mr. beaumont (i checked your amazing playing on youtube) might someday have jazz pianists and horn players get more out of their comfort zone trying to imitate jazz guitar players..

Charlie Christian, Django, Wes, Joe Pass.. and the other greats have done really well but not enough unfortunately..

Looking forward to the video.. thank you

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write