The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-13-2016, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Default I thought I was over GAS........but...American Standard

Really, I did. I love my Martins and haven't even felt the need for another guitar.

But......there are good deals out there now, and there is a guitar I've found interesting for quite a while, and now the prices are just too good.....so I had to get a Fender American Standard.

Forgive me.

Last edited by Gmountain; 12-13-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

All is forgiven and congrats on the new Strat. One of the things that continues to amaze me is how far $$$ go in the electric world after getting accustomed to acoustic pricing...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-13-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
All is forgiven and congrats on the new Strat. One of the things that continues to amaze me is how far $$$ go in the electric world after getting accustomed to acoustic pricing...
Unless you are into buying boutique and solo luthier-made electric guitars...for example Teuffel and JG guitars cost a lot of dollars...
Old 12-13-2016, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Unless you are into buying boutique and solo luthier-made electric guitars...for example Teuffel and JG guitars cost a lot of dollars...
Well yeh, one can always throw a bunch of money at any pastime, but I was thinking of great off the rack electrics like the recently discontinued Fender American Standard that the OP purchased...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-13-2016, 10:17 PM

Martins and Fenders ... welcome to my world!
Old 12-13-2016, 10:51 PM
BanGuest23456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
Really, I did. I love my Martins and haven't even felt the need for another guitar.

But......there are good deals out there now, and there is a guitar I've found interesting for quite a while, and now the prices are just too good.....so I had to get a Fender American Standard.

Forgive me.
I was knocking around a bit with one of these:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/A...e-Fretboard.gc

and playing with the controls/amp I got it to give off a funky/chunky Nile Rodgers sound, just incredible. I love acoustic, but I can see why so many gravitate towards electric - strings are like butter to play, the sounds coming out of that thing are incredible. Wife won't let me play one in the apartment but someday...

Last edited by BanGuest23456; 12-14-2016 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

Strat or Tele?

I'd like to pick up a Jazzmaster, but I know I'd never play it. I don't play the electrics I have.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
I was knocking around a bit with one of these:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/A...e-Fretboard.gc

and playing with the controls/amp I got it to give off a funky/chunky Nile Rodgers sound, just incredible. I love acoustic, but I can see why so many gravitate towards electric - strings are like butter to play, the sounds coming out of that thing are incredible. Wife won't let me play one in the apartment but someday...
How do you get away with acoustic? Just bare flesh fingerpicking? You can always plug headphones into an amp
Old 12-14-2016, 01:29 AM

I've an American Standard Telecaster. American Standard Teles and Strats are great guitars. Congratulations.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:50 AM
BanGuest23456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenaines View Post
How do you get away with acoustic? Just bare flesh fingerpicking? You can always plug headphones into an amp
At night when the family is home, I go into the bedroom and close the door. During the day when I come home for lunch, right in the living room.

Yah, the headphones might be the solution as I have a MOTU audio interface and can listen through that. Getting a strat is a matter or when, not if. If only I was 40 years younger...
Old 12-14-2016, 09:19 AM

I forgive you my friend
Old 12-14-2016, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

My first love is acoustic guitars, but occasionally plugging in my Tele and cranking the volume is a wonderful thing.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-14-2016, 09:23 AM

Congrats on the Fender. My strat was my first guitar and I still play it regularly.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:47 AM
BanGuest23456

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Well yeh, one can always throw a bunch of money at any pastime, but I was thinking of great off the rack electrics like the recently discontinued Fender American Standard that the OP purchased...
Just out of curiousity, given how great the American Standard line sounds, does anyone know why Fender would have discontinued them? The one I played was excellent, much better sound and easier to play with better controls than a number of others that I tried out in the LGS.

As a side note, I WISH my parents had bought me a strat when I was a kid, not sure if I would have had the discipline I have now to work on it for hours upon hours each day though. In later life I have matured to where I can now concentrate and focus on tasks much more than when I was younger; I wish I could have done so a lot earlier. Regrets, I have many...
Old 12-14-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
Just out of curiousity, given how great the American Standard line sounds, does anyone know why Fender would have discontinued them?
Well this is currently The NEW American Standard, as they had stopped using American Standard in the 90's for a while. They come up with new names now and again, same guitars. American Standard will be back at some point I'm sure.

rct

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars