The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for a custom neck profile?
Nothing, I'm not that picky 41 33.33%
$100 19 15.45%
$200 23 18.70%
$300 29 23.58%
$400 1 0.81%
$500 5 4.07%
More than $500 5 4.07%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2017, 04:17 PM

Well, if theyve got to carve the shaft anyway why charge anything. To do so is capitalism at its worse, gouging the customer.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
oh wait, you meant GUITAR neck profile, is it too late to change my vote?
Well, it is a guitar forum.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Lol - I know EXACTLY what I'd pay because I just did!

This is actually a great question and poll. Over the years I have found that the one thing I absolutely NEED is a comfortable neck profile. I have sold many guitars that I otherwise liked except for the neck profile.

One of those guitars was an Emerald X20. There were a few things I didn't like about it (scale, electrics, color) other than the neck shape but it was the neck shape that was killer.

So when I emailed Emerald to see about getting an X20 custom built I inquired about a custom scale, color and most importantly - neck shape. I much prefer a soft V neck shape and Santa Cruz just nails it for me. But Emerald didn't have anything to base that on.

Solution? They sent me a molding material and I took an exact mold of my beloved Santa Cruz 1929 00 that they will base my neck on. Can't wait to get it and see how they do!
Old 08-15-2017, 04:24 PM

I think you can look at this several ways.

If it's a big manufacturer like Martin, with various neck options (profile, nut width, etc.) already at its disposal, then I'm not too sure about being charged extra... UNLESS choosing the "custom" option means extra non-trivial labor.

But on the other hand, if it's a small manufacturer (or an independent luthier) who usually does only one or two neck profiles, and there is a request for a customized neck profile, that might be another story...
Old 08-15-2017, 04:30 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
If it's a big manufacturer like Martin, with various neck options (profile, nut width, etc.) already at its disposal, then I'm not too sure about being charged extra.

Gibson did this on the ES-339 when it was first introduced: you could get a slim taper or a rounded '59 neck for the same price. I thought it was a great idea, and would love to see acoustic makers offer a couple of choices.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:33 PM

The only logic I can see in paying more for a neck carve is if its a factory and you want something else. Then theyd have to do something out of the ordinary.
If its a custom, handbuilt guitar, why would one shape be more than another? None of the I dont remember how many guitars Ive had custom made cost extra for the carve i wanted.
The idea is just weird.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have some left hand issues due to an old injury and some arthritis so neck profile ends up being an important ergonomic aspect that adds to my playing years. I voted $300 since that seems reasonable to me.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-15-2017, 04:57 PM
Guest316

I voted nothing. It's too easy to adapt to nearly any neck with my style of play.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
If the neck is a standard build, but goes on a different model, say... $150...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
...If it's a custom build or order, the neck should be available at no additional cost, IMO...
I also see no reason whatsoever for an upcharge, as long as the profile/width/scale match the body to which it will be fitted - for a major manufacturer it should be no more complicated than pulling the desired size off a rack of ready-made necks, or producing it from an existing template if one is not available...
Old 08-15-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
You know, while I might not be that picky when it comes to neck profiles, I keep a $200 flashlight in my car, so who am I to judge?
I guess I just thought some might check that box just to be cute.
How cynical of me.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-15-2017, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

I happily paid $250 for a custom neck carve on a new Froggy.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:43 PM

I voted $200 as I'd comfortably pay that.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
I think you can look at this several ways.

If it's a big manufacturer like Martin, with various neck options (profile, nut width, etc.) already at its disposal, then I'm not too sure about being charged extra... UNLESS choosing the "custom" option means extra non-trivial labor.

But on the other hand, if it's a small manufacturer (or an independent luthier) who usually does only one or two neck profiles, and there is a request for a customized neck profile, that might be another story...
I never concern myself what someone should charge for a service, or why, my only concern is what that service is worth to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I guess I just thought some might check that box just to be cute.
How cynical of me.
Well, so far only one person did.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:07 PM

Hi Ted.

Well, I essentially just did that by buying one of your CS-00-21 instead of an off the shelf 00-28 because I prefer an MLO neck without the PA taper and with the wider string spacing (as you offer). Although it was slightly more expensive, I adore my CS-00-21 and I don't regret it in the least. So, I'd be willing to shell out an extra $200 - $300 to get the neck juu-uust right, and I'd call it a bargain.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

I just ordered a custom Martin for that very reason. My preferred neck width and carve were not available off the shelf in the configuration I want. What could I have saved if I ordered a standard model and "settled" for a neck width or carve that doesn't work for me? About $500.

For those who can be more flexible, I'm happy for you. I used to play 12 strings and any size neck you threw at me...for most of 50 years. But now the realities of arthritis dictate what I can enjoy playing and what I can't. And still being able to enjoy playing is pretty darned valuable to me!

BTW Ted, there's a Z2 in the door pocket of my truck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion