The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post

So, what exactly is a Northern Jumbo? I'm not familiar with that model at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
As far as I know, the Northern Jumbo was a limited edition guitar designed for Canadian dealer Long & McQuade, but I could be wrong.
Correct.

Overall, they are similar to a Southern Jumbo but with a few cosmetic differences. The Custom Shop labels inside are signed by Ren Ferguson, although I don't know what work he actually did on them. They made about 60 of them and they were sold by Long & McQuade and other dealers in Canada. Some ended up with collectors in Japan. I've had mine for many years and love it to pieces. A very sweet sounding guitar.

Here's mine:

And a video of an identical one (not mine):

Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 08-16-2017, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

this is a guitar I've had for some time, proving beyond all doubt that Gibson hits home runs. It's an early 1935 maple back Nick. So much fun to play. So much fundamental gibson tone. I like.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:14 PM

I might as well post my other acoustic. I bought this one used last week but never posted an actual NGD.

It's a Custom Shop Advanced Jumbo. It has an Adirondack Red Spruce top, an unusual color called Amberburst and a Trance Amulet M-VT pickup. Limited to 50 pieces worldwide.

It has a much brigther, more modern, less woody sound, compared to my Northern Jumbo. The neck feels pretty much identical, which was a major factor. It's also louder. I use it for fingerstyle pretty much exclusively. I don't know if it is the scale but I find that I play cleaner or with more precision on this guitar.

Here's a video of an identical one (not mine):

Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 08-17-2017, 12:32 AM

Everybody has seen my old scarface 1937 Gibson L-0, haven't they?

Has more splits than Swan Lake but....

BluesKing777.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaw9516 View Post
I regretfully sold an AJ, j-45 and j-100 in the past. All guitars looking back, sounded pretty amazing. After owning every brand from a-z, the Gibson tone and playability is really quite amazing.

Sure the braces might look like a beaver chewed them up, or the guy adding the glue was having a seizure mid application, but I've learned that's the charm with a gibson. Kind of like the philosophy behind Waterloos having glue marks and are kind of unrefined on the inside.

It's all about tone and playability. Sure there are modern sounding guitars with impeccable workmanship. And they are great and have their purpose. I'm bored with those guitars at this time in my life. Back to where I started with gibson and martins.

Cue "cool story bro"
I really think that you are misusing the word Amazing (causing great surprise or wonder; astonishing) - but I'll accept that Gibsons tend to have a "signature tone."

Whether one likes it or not is a personal choice ... and to me that signature tone has largely disappointed.
Surely the more recent Gibsons I have seen have shown me that Gibsons Quality control is sadly still back in the '60s and '70s compared with most other American makers, and do not merit close scrutiny.

I have a Waterloo - I had intended to buy one of the Gibson L-oo versions and had a choice at the time, but the Waterloo had a sound that all the Gibsons lacked. The interal finish of the Waterloo, is not unlike standard Martins - OK - if not perfect, but is made to emulate the old pre-war Kalamazoos - a Gibson budget line.

But yes - most Gibsons have that dry, flat bass tone and I kn ow of some who like that.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post

Man - I LOVE the mojo that thing has!!!
Old 08-18-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post

I showed up at the house of a guy I worked for in NYC, one morning in the early eighties. He hadn't paid me in three weeks and I was getting.... impatient let's call it. He had no cash but gave me a Gibson LG-1 with no bridge that had the finish sanded off. I put a bridge on it and play the ever living crap out of it on tour for 10 years. Wore holes in it, wore out the frets and and generally abused it until an ex girlfriend smashed it into a tree. I taped it up and kept playing it but eventually retired it. I still play it every so often.

Now I have a brand new L-OO Vintage. It looks scared

That is a beautiful OO
Old 08-18-2017, 11:38 AM

Last night I stopped by a shop and saw a new (floor model) J-45 for an unbeatable price. I had been wanting a J-45 and was planning to get one 'at some point' (which we all know comes sooner than we think) but I knew as soon as I looked at the price tag that this guitar was going home with me.

After giving it a once over, checking the electronics, etc. sure enough it was mine. LOVE this guitar!
Old 08-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Mike This is the first modern Gibson that has matched the feel and tone of my 1938 L-OO, with the added benefit of perfect intonation and action. Great workmanship throughout. All the cosmetic details are there too.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 08-18-2017, 02:13 PM

Old 08-18-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
So, what exactly is a Northern Jumbo? I'm not familiar with that model at all.
From what I understand, it's very similar to the Southern Jumbo, but it was only sold in Canada.

I'm not trying to be flippant, that is the story that I've heard.

whm
Old 08-18-2017, 07:33 PM

Nothing like a Gibson. My only wish is that they had the option of 1 3/4 nut width and 2 1/4 string spacing at the saddle. It's a tad narrow for me but I love the tone so much I just deal with it.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:34 PM

After N+1 (and his cousin, E=MC2) wrote about the "celebratory" aesthetics of the Gibson Hummingbird, I warned him that getting into Gibsons was a slippery slope. He replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N+1 View Post
So ... do you think I should cancel my order for the Roy Rogers cowboy suit then?
No, get the suit and get your wife and yourself matching Golden Palomino ponies. You'll need to hire a sidekick to drive around in a jeep, as well.

Roy and Dale

Pat Brady in Nellybelle the Jeep

Feeling wistful, N+1 concluded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N+1 View Post
I wish I could continue the celebration but I only had a couple of hours with it. Remembering them makes me ache a bit.
Start socking away your pennies, then. Every buckaroo and buckarette deserves a celebratory Gibson guitar of their own...

Although THIS particular cowpoke is trying to collect funds for one in a socially unacceptable way:

˙˙˙

Hope this helps, pardner!

Wade Hampton "Yee-HAW!!" Miller

And now here's a word from our sponsor:

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 08-18-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
From what I understand, it's very similar to the Southern Jumbo, but it was only sold in Canada.

I'm not trying to be flippant, that is the story that I've heard.

whm
Yes, and because it's metric here, they cost 1.62x as much.....
Old 08-19-2017, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
... get the suit and get your wife and yourself matching Golden Palomino ponies.
Well I like to think I'm bringing the style up to date. I've painted the car 'palamino gold', and named it 'Trigger'.

Quote:
And now here's a word from our sponsor:

Now wait a goddarned minute thar, Wade ... That there geetar ain't no Gibson!!! It's a goddarned Mart'n! C'mon Roy. Get some flowers and birds whittled onto that thar pickguard.

Y'gotta love the boots an' shirt tho' .....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion