The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-06-2017, 04:22 AM

Default 12 string guitar strings question.

Hi guys I have a particular 12 string acoustic that I put new string on about 2 weeks ago but noticed when playing yesterday that they feel quite stiff compared to my other 12 string and fellow acoustics couldn't get very clear bend and needing to put a lot of pressure down when playing say a bar chord the neck looks decent not really sure if it's a issue or just that I have bin playing other guitars that might be more finger friendly any thoughts?
Old 08-06-2017, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

What's the action at 12th?
What are the string gauges you are using?
What is the Scale length?
What is the relief on the neck?

With this info we might be able to help.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:11 AM

hi the gauge of the strings are 11s ( that is what is recommended for this guitar apparently, the scale length is 25 and 3/4", I'm not sure what you mean about the relief on the neck or the action on the 12th sorry not really very technical in them ways lol
Old 08-06-2017, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

The action is the distance measured from top of 12th fret to bottom of the stings - most measure only on both E string courses.

Guitar necks aren't straight - even though they may seem so - they have a slight bow. Relief is the depth of the action on, app. 7th fret when string held down at first and highest.

This can make fretting difficult above first position playing.

11s are quite light so that isn't your problem.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:18 AM

Archie. Silly Moustache has covered most of the elements that determine the playability of a guitar--string gauge, neck relief, action at the 12th fret, and scale length. Two other elements are string height at the nut, and, especially in the case of a 12 string whether the instrument is tuned to concert pitch (E-E) or one step down (D-D).

Now, the action at the 12th fret, which SM mentioned can be affected by two factors, the saddle height, and the angle of the neck. If a neck is pulling up or originally was set too far "forward the action will tend to be high.

The amount of neck relief, which SM mentioned is essentially, how much "warp" there is in the neck. A little relief is generally a good thing (I've found about .005") is desirable. To measure that the string should be fretted at the 1st fret and 12th fret, NOT the highest fret.

Now, because you mentioned that you're not really technical "in them ways", I recommend that you take the instrument to a trusted repair person.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:48 AM

Hi Michael thanks for you response your information along with sm has bin really
Helpful there is a repair shop a few miles from me that deals with acoustics mainly I will pop in there and see what they say.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Are you using the same strings, or are they a different brand/set? You can easily feel tension differences just between sets with different guages or alloys -
Old 08-09-2017, 10:10 AM

you could be right it recommends to use 11 gauge strings I went with Martin maybe I should contact the maker see what ones he used and if he thinks it could affect anything.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair