The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-01-2017, 04:20 PM

Default Redwood?

I particularly enjoy using repurposed wood for my builds. A friend gave me some 40-year-old redwood that I have made a telly style guitar body from. I am thinking about using a sanding sealer, followed by a spray on gloss polyurethane finish. I do not have any elaborate spray equipment – nor do I have experience using nitro.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Will
Old 08-01-2017, 05:53 PM

Painting is a steep learning curve, we all think we can do it with ease, its actually quite a complicated process that even with tens of thousands of dollars of equipment you can still stuff up easily.

If you simply want a nice looking finish without the desire or need to learn, then I recommend something like min wax poly rub, you can sit in front of the tv at night apply it with a rag, let it dry, next night scuff it with steel wool, apply again with a rag, multiple applications (20-30) will give a hard gloss look.

I hate to use this terminology, but its idiot proof, no worry about runs, no worry about dust.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-01-2017, 06:14 PM

Thank you Steve. In my case it's a matter of having neither the funds nor the space to get into finishing at that level. Although I still manage to have my share of fun. Once again, thanks for the solid, practical advice - just what I was looking for!

Will

PS - would you recommend a sealer be applied first?

Last edited by Taylorplayer; 08-01-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:31 PM

Unhappy

<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited by Taylorplayer; 08-01-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:49 PM

I used a wipe on ploy for the first guitar I've ever built and honestly sometimes I wonder why I ever even tried anything else. It's easy and it looks pretty darn good even for a beginner. I've seen some incredible results with Tru-Oil as well which is also a wipe on finish.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I used a wipe on ploy for the first guitar I've ever built and honestly sometimes I wonder why I ever even tried anything else.
If I just built guitars I would use the rub on poly and nothing else. The fact I repair Stringed Instruments means I really have no choice in the matter and have to be proficient in most finishes.

On a commercial setup, Enviromental requirements, employees health and protection and so forth, my spray setup and associated guns, lights, booth, buffers have cost me in excess of 60,000 dollars, its not a cheap exercise.

Its one thing to turn a broom closet into a spray booth, its another thing telling an employee to put on safety gear and spray in accordance with government regulations and not get sued by them for failure of duty of care.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-01-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I used a wipe on ploy for the first guitar I've ever built and honestly sometimes I wonder why I ever even tried anything else. It's easy and it looks pretty darn good even for a beginner. I've seen some incredible results with Tru-Oil as well which is also a wipe on finish.
Would you use a sealer on Redwood - with the wipe on poly?
Old 08-02-2017, 08:20 AM
*mahoganut*

Will, I'll send you a PM with a couple of contacts who might be able to help. I didn't want to "out" either publicly as they are builders, but both have experience that I'm fairly confident they'd be willing to share.

Phil
Old 08-02-2017, 09:08 AM

Yeah I hear ya Steve, that's why when I get serious finish repairs I send the customer on over to guys like you

Lacquer touch ups, French Polish, no problem, full refinish or cat poly, no way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
Would you use a sealer on Redwood - with the wipe on poly?
I'm not sure. I've only ever used the poly once and that was almost 30 years ago now. I almost always seal with shellac but these days I pretty much only use an oil varnish or French Polish. I'd probably use shellac if I use lacquer too, it tends to give a nice glow to everything. But you would want to know how the poly would work on top of shellac before using it. It's probably best just to follow the poly manufacturers directions or perhaps others can chime in on that question, it would be good to know.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Will, I'll send you a PM with a couple of contacts who might be able to help. I didn't want to "out" either publicly as they are builders, but both have experience that I'm fairly confident they'd be willing to share.

Phil
Your help and assistance proves what I've known for a long time - the AGF has some of the best folks around. Thanks! Will
Old 08-02-2017, 06:09 PM

The wipe on poly on raw wood is the ideal.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-04-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
The wipe on poly on raw wood is the ideal.

Steve
Thanks - I'm convinced.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair