The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-23-2017, 02:56 PM

Budget is less of a concern than simplicity. I'd have no probelem spending $500 on a software program and mic if it were super easy to use - just have limited time to play and don't want to waste it learning some complicated new software program. Sounds like my setup with a decent mic and GB is good enough for that. Curious if there are any other software programs or mics I should be considering. Would love to be able to use my PC (it's decked out and I use it for nothing since I have one from work) instead of my 4 year old iPad, but have not heard anyone recommend any PC software for recording
Old 07-23-2017, 03:18 PM

Loads of people use Windows PCs for recording on a variety of software.

Check out Cubase, Studio One, Sonar, Reason, Reaper, Pro Tools, FL Studio, Ableton, Digital Performer for starters.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 07-23-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
Budget is less of a concern than simplicity. I'd have no probelem spending $500 on a software program and mic if it were super easy to use - just have limited time to play and don't want to waste it learning some complicated new software program. Sounds like my setup with a decent mic and GB is good enough for that. Curious if there are any other software programs or mics I should be considering. Would love to be able to use my PC (it's decked out and I use it for nothing since I have one from work) instead of my 4 year old iPad, but have not heard anyone recommend any PC software for recording
Interface
You need one for a PC if you want to avoid USB mics. I use a PCI sound card made specifically for recording. It has great ADA converters but no mic preamps. I use outboard mic preamps. The beauty of the newer "all-in-one" USB interfaces is that for not a lot of $ you can get decent ADA converters and mic preamps all in one box. The Focusrite 2i2 is just one of the many available interfaces.

Software
I don't use GB, but if you decide to use your PC there is a version for that. The Focusrite 2i2 interface (and most interfaces) come bundled with "Lite" versions of recording software. None of them are difficult to learn. Reaper is a very popular, inexpensive DAW that many experienced recordist swear by. I use SONAR, but you don't need that.
Mics
Lots of choices. I still use an Oktava MC012 and MXL 603s for small condensers, but there are many choices. There is a huge thread over at Gearslutz on the new 3U Audio mics (in the Low End forum). ISK mics are an example of very highly regarded inexpensive mics. 12 Gauge mics are very affordable. Rode makes good mics. So do many others.

You will hard time beating two of these: http://www.3uaudio.com/cp.asp?id=651

These are not cheap quality OEM products. The quality far exceeds the price point, including Toshiba FET, Wima film caps and Panasonic electrolytic capacitors. I think I paid $125 direct. It's almost criminal they are that good for so little cash.

Last edited by DukeX; 07-23-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

3 setups so far.

1) Early 90's Tascam Porta07 4-track recorder on audio cassette, with one or two mics. This worked very well until it broke last month, and it's not worth fixing. A condenser mike needs separate phantom power and an extra XLR/TRS cable. To talk to the modern digital world, it needs a USB audio interface, I use a Behringer UFO202, 16 bit/48 kHz. Simple to use, and it's all knobs and switches instead of the dreaded menus and sub-menus, though that is it's Achilles heel since all that stuff soldered to analog circuit boards makes it vulnerable to breaking. Sadly, after many years of occasional use, it broke.

2) Zoom Q8 video/audio recorder, either with built-in XY mics or one or two external mics. Very convenient to record, and the video is nice if you want to go live on YouTube, has phantom power for condenser mics. The built-in mics are ok but not so great for acoustic guitar if you're recording video at the same time, since getting close enough to beat down background noises means you're too close for good video, so it's best with external mics. There are no mixdown or decent EQ capabilities, but you can download direct to your computer and then do all that with Audacity and make a movie with something like iMovie. No multi-track capability, so you can't overlay audio tracks, use click tracks, etc.

3) Tascam DP-24SD 24-track digital recorder. I just got this and am figuring out how to use it. It's overkill for what I want to do now, but I can imagine making close to full use of it eventually. All the bells and whistles, EQ, mixdown, all digital, 24 bit/48 kHz, but it's physically quite large and it's not nearly as simple to use as my old 4-track. Jury is still out.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 07-24-2017, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post

"Budget is less of a concern than simplicity."

So to clarify.... First. "Simplicity" is highly subjective and very relative.
The good news is the basics for most DAW software is relatively simple and similar as far as just setting up track or two and recording (with the caveat) that dependending on the specific individuals actual learning style and knowledge of (DAW speak) sometimes the often brand specific language can be somewhat foreign at first.

Second . If you go with a USB mic you will be looking at just "a software program and a mic "
However If you want to use a dedicated PC ( actually by far the optimum choice ) You will be looking at more pieces than just software and a mic. At the very least you will need a combo interface something like the entry level ones suggested . And I agree with DukeX the sound quality will be a step up
Here are some choices in entry level interfaces
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...d-today-570850

Third and very important Since you view the time spent learning as "wasted",
you may definitely want to just try your current USB mic and GB for starters .
You must decide if just "getting it done" and "expediency", is the most important factor ( BTW a viable consideration, again depending on goals) . However there is no magic road or quick fix to acquire the knowledge and experience to becoming consistently good at recording, IT takes time, plain and simple ( like learning to play the guitar)

It is not all that difficult or time consuming to just get something recorded..
Again it is a lot like learning to play the guitar. The result you get out of it, is usually proportionate to the time you put into it.

It does in fact take a considerable amount of time and commitment to be able to record well and get consistently good results (regardless of equipment or software) . If you are unwilling to make that time commitment then you might be better advised to just go with the USB mic and iPad, at least for now.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-24-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:44 PM

I agree with everything KevWin stated above--especially the last paragraph.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:47 PM

If you learn one DAW you can convert to another without too much grief usually.

I used to mess with analog mixers and multi-track tape recording and midi sequencers and drum machines years ago so I was familiar with busses, gain structures, effects and using midi etc.

So learning a DAW was a natural progression for me. But if you've never recorded anything in your life it could be a long road to learn all that stuff.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 07-24-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Personally I would skip the whole iPad/USB mic route.

It doesn't cost that much to get a decent recording setup for a PC, using an inexpensive 2-channel USB interface with decent mic preamps (like the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2, which comes with a DAW ), and a couple of decent condenser mics.

It just isn't that difficult or expensive--especially compared to buying/playing guitars. You will get hooked, and if you buy too cheap to start, you will buy twice.

Hello DukeX :
I can relate- I have a IOS system and experience lead me back to trying it through my computer again only now , I have learned my lesson .

If you want a reliable set up for serious results in the long run go computer based IMHO .

No guarantees but here's my set up as of a month now .
  • HP TouchSmart 610 ( rather have a mac but - - )
  • C01 Samson large diaphragm condenser
  • Shure SM57
  • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
  • Koss headphones
  • Mackie FreePlay - monitor
  • T.C.Helicon Voice Live 3 X
  • Roland GR33 guitar synthesizer module

If you are just funning around with it , the IOS system is cool and even some pros use them live on stage to run their midi & FX triggers .

I have both but my iphone 5s took a dump and is being fixed - go figure heh heh heh .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 07-24-2017, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Realized I have not yet answered the title question.

My recording gear.

Computer :
Mid 2010 Mac Pro, Westmere 6 Core, 333 Ghz 24 GB RAM
System drive Samsung SM 951 SSD 512 GB , Audio file storage drive 2 TB Apple HDD , Backup drive Apple HDD 1 TB
OSX 10.12.2 Sierra W/ 27” Apple Cinema Display

DAW :
Pro Tools HD Native 12.7.1

Interface:
Avid HD Omni

Outboard Mic Pre Amp:
A Designs MP2A two channel tube amp

Outboard Hardware Effects :
Bricasti M7 Stereo Reverb Processor
IGS Audio Tubecore Mastering Edition, 2 channel tube compressor

Midi controller/keyboard :
Akai MPK 49 midi keyboard

Studio Monitors :
Amphion One 18’s

Headphones mixing:
Sennheiser HD 600

Headphones tracking:
Sennheiser HD 280

Vocal mic :
Brauner Phantom V

Instrument mic:
Schoeps CMC6 MK 4

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 07-24-2017, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Nice list, KevWind.

This is my setup:

Computer :
Early 2008 Mac Pro, 2x 2.8 GHz Quad Core, 32 GB RAM
System drive Samsung 850 Pro 1tb SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 500gb SSD for vst instruments
OSX 10.10.5 w/ Philips 32 inch LED-Lit monitor, 2560x1440 res

DAW :
Pro Tools LE 12.8

Interface:
UA Apollo Firewire quad

Outboard Mic Pre Amp:
Hendy DaVinci
Demeter VTMP-2c
Hardy M1
Focusrite LiqudChannel

Outboard Hardware Effects :
JDK Audio R22 Compressor

Midi controller:
M-Audio Hammer 88 (arriving tomorrow)

Keyboard:
Yamaha Motif 8

Studio Monitors :
Neumann KH120

Headphones mixing:
AKG K240DF

Headphones tracking:
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 ohm
Sony MDR-7506

Vocal mic :
Flea 47

Instrument mic:
Gefell M295 pair
Lauten Audio Atlantis
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-25-2017, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Nice list, KevWind.

This is my setup:

Thanks and you also, nice list. I can confidently state I won't be changing anything and will be keeping it all. I might add a nice tube mic but that's probably it for gear . With the realization that at some point I may have to get a new computer but I do hope to get another 5 years out of the Mac

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 07-25-2017, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

My home recording setup is primarily for stereo recording of solo acoustic guitar arrangements. I started out with a Zoom H4, sometimes using internal mics and sometimes using an external mic or two. Have moved to a computer based setup of various configurations over the last few years. Occasionally use the gear for live 'performance' (church) or simplistic on-site recording (church). Looking to find a used external stereo ADC. Current setup is:

Computer : Dell laptop (nothing special, 'consumer' grade)

DAW : Reaper

Interface: Motu Ultralite AVB

Outboard Mic Preamps: Pair of Speck 5.0 MicPre

Studio Monitors: Pair of Equator D5

Mics:
Matched Pair of Gefell M296S
Pair of 3 Zigma CHI with cardioid small diameter capsules
3 Zigma CHI with cardioid 47 style large diameter capsule

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 07-25-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
With the realization that at some point I may have to get a new computer but I do hope to get another 5 years out of the Mac
My computer is hanging on but I really need to upgrade it. I was looking to buy a used 2012 cheese grater some months back but then Apple announced they were going to redo the Mac Pro so I'm going to wait that out. UA sells a card for my Apollo to turn it into a Thunderbolt unit, so I'm good there.

YouTube
Old 07-25-2017, 07:56 AM

Computer: Compaq 6G RAM, 500G HD, Win 7

DAW: Reaper

Interface: Tascam US800

Monitors: JBL LSR305

Mics: AKG Perception 220, MXL multi-pattern condnesor mic (not sure of model #), CAD CM217 (couldn't resist the sale price for 2), GLS ES57 (Shure SM57 clone), Shure SM58, Sennheiser e835

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-25-2017, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

This is my setup. The rack is two racks that I stacked and bolted together.
My LiquidChannel is out on loan but my Hammer 88 showed up early this morning.
The new keyboard probably makes my Yahama Motif expendable so that might go up for sale one of these days.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD