The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-18-2017, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

RE: Using round core strings on a slot head

I've used round core strings on slot heads for quite awhile. Restringing truly is not much more time consuming on a slot head than with a paddle head. If that is your only reluctance with trying a round core string, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I too had the same concern, but once I had changed a few, it really wasn't a big deal.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:16 PM

I would also be interested in hearing any response about altered tunings, since I play in six different slack-key tunings - plus the weirdest tuning of them all, "standard".

Tuning up and down kills the tone faster than about anything else in my experience, so that would be a major impediment to using $40 strings. I tend to keep certain guitars in a specific tuning to avoid this metal fatigue. When I practice running up and down tunings on a single guitar, I save it for when the strings are nearly ready for replacement anyway (almost dead). Retuning a few times finishes the job.

As for round cores, I use the Taylor method but never cut the excess off until the strings are up to pitch. Plus I use a minimum of three wraps around the post. Having round core strings come unwound would not be much of an issue in my mind.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I would also be interested in hearing any response about altered tunings, since I play in six different slack-key tunings - plus the weirdest tuning of them all, "standard".
I have an email into Martin. I will report back as soon as I hear from them.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-18-2017, 04:32 PM

Thank you, Jayne. As you can see from my post in this other thread, I use altered tunings extensively. Drives my wife nuts, because she never knows what tuning a guitar might be in when she picks it up. Her CA Cargo lives in Open G, and I'm not allowed to tune it otherwise. (I also put the toilet seat back down).
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=476807&page=2
Old 07-18-2017, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Even if they do stay in tune and last that long, they would have to bring a tone to my D-28 that is significantly better than what I get now with Martin Lifespans. I can't imagine that happening, but I might experiment at least once. My Taylor is still strung with the original Elixirs that were on it 6 months ago, and they are still fine in the upper and mid-range. Bass is losing a bit of its punch, though.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 07-18-2017, 04:42 PM

Search for threads on previous titanium string topics. There were several regarding the strings from the other maker which I read closely.

The uptake was that the titanium string sounded good and lasted about forever. I remember some players who had kept them on and were pleased even a year later.

That longevity of sounding pretty good for forever is the positive--and a huge positive.

The negative was that the metal, though strong and rustproof, could not handle many re-tunings back and forth between, e.g., standard and DADGAD, etc. before they would fatigue and break. Very strong, but not as elastic as steel.

For players who stay in one tuning, these could be a winner.

Multiple tuning players--not so much.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
One thing caught me slightly 'off-guard'.
These are 'round-core wound' and shouldn't be cut until they are installed.
OK on a paddle head but I was originally planning to try them on a slot-head.

Would I buy them at $39.99 a set?
Well that's US dollars, I'm in Australia so that's gonna sting by the time they make it down here.... but probably, yes.
I'm probably with Brucebubs on this.
Yes, you can buy a lot of $6-7$ strings for $40.00 and I don't throw money around lightly, but if I can get 6-8 months of steady play and good tone as well as the nice feel, why not.
To answer another question about tone, I think they sound somewhat similar to Monels, but better. I don't know, I just like them.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-18-2017, 05:13 PM

I have been a skier for many years and titanium is one of the newer materials used in many of the better skis, especially by Head. I can say that it is a great material that does not fatigue under heavy going so when it comes to guitar strings, it is a wonder that this has not been done a long time ago. I am going to have to give these a shot as they sound very intriguing.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:44 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I'm probably with Brucebubs on this.
Yes, you can buy a lot of $6-7$ strings for $40.00 and I don't throw money around lightly, but if I can get 6-8 months of steady play and good tone as well as the nice feel, why not.
Yep. I'm with rokdog & Brucebubs on this one...looking forward to giving these "high tech" strings a try.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 07-18-2017, 06:03 PM

Maybe the strings will come down in price after they are on the market for a while.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:44 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHill View Post
Even if they do stay in tune and last that long, they would have to bring a tone to my D-28 that is significantly better than what I get now with Martin Lifespans.

I'm like that with Monels....they stay on for months.....and with John Pearse...they don't stay on for months but cost a lot less. If they ever come way down in cost, I'd like to give them a go
Old 07-18-2017, 08:25 PM

Folks,
For informational purposes whether or not these Titaniums sound good on any given guitar is up for grabs.
I can only share what I have experienced. They are similar to the Martin Retros in the way they shape the voice of a guitar. In my opinion they are not "ringy like a PB or 80-20 PB string. I put them on my bright Pono because the folks at Martin said if I liked what the Retros did, I would like these even more. They are not dull-sounding but punchy and thicker. As I have played them, I find I like them even better. If Martin charges the $39.99/set they are saying, it would be an expensive test for sure. As far as the playability component, that part is genuine in my opinion. They are round core strings so that stands to reason.
They don't squeak as much as many other strings I have played either.
Brucebubs and I have shared many PM's about these strings and we both agree on the qualities and characteristics. That being said I don't believe either of us would want you to decide based on our opinions. My playing partner has them on his GS Mini Hog.
Maybe he will chime in on this discussion.
You could always ask for them for your birthday or Christmas if you don't want to spring for them.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 07-18-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Once upon a time I thought $18 and up were a lot for strings.... As my J-45 sits there with SC low tensions on it.... I'll have to give them a shot, because I'm a string geek.

Six months would make them a little more cost effective, but a little voice in my head is saying, "Danger, Will Robinson, Danger"

One of the geeky benefits of having a guitar is changing the strings AND that new string sound again after having a set on for 6-8 weeks of play. This is kind of like the death bell for that aspect.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
One of the geeky benefits of having a guitar is changing the strings AND that new string sound again after having a set on for 6-8 weeks of play. This is kind of like the death bell for that aspect.
Well yes and no. I like to change strings too but I typically don't like the tone right out of the pack. I find this to be true for all strings and on all the guitars I've owned- I like them most when they been on for a few days.

It has been mentioned already that these have a sweet spot and that they stay there. One of the most impressive things about the Retros is how well they hold their intonation and how they hit that sweet spot.

I will say I'm intrigued, but I'm a sucker for trying new things. However, I play in alternate tunings so I might hang tight and let others spend their pesos before I by a pack.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

I've seen enough feedback from the beta testers to decide that I'll be giving these a try once they finally become available. Was hoping they would be available before I headed off to the Swannanoa Gathering Guitar Week at the end of the month. A week with lots of string time and outdoor summer playing would have been a good test but all the usual sources show the strings shipping too late for that.
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion