The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Well, the D'Addario phosphors are beloved by many. They're well-made, easy to find and reasonably priced. Nothing wrong with having those as your standbys. But there are genuine technological innovations being made with musical instrument strings. D'Addario's Nickel-Bronze strings are something new, and are not just an old alloy that's recently regained some popularity. That exact alloy wasn't used for guitar strings before this.

The John Pearse line of strings uses different alloys sourced from different places than D'Addario's, and as a result John Pearse phosphor bronze strings sound considerably different than the D'Addario phosphors do.

You prompted me to give the Pearse strings a go. I LOVE THEM. I've always been biased against them because I don't play bluegrass, and not knowing really anything about them just thought they would be for country twang given the logo etc... they are a perfect compliment to my guitar, which is modern finger-style. I'm probably done experimenting at this point. Only downside is, after about 6 hours of play my B string is looking a little black in the first position
Old 08-18-2017, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Martin M540's or JP600L are all I need, want and like...unless Darco acoustic strings ever come back at $2.95!
Old 08-18-2017, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
You prompted me to give the Pearse strings a go. I LOVE THEM. I've always been biased against them because I don't play bluegrass, and not knowing really anything about them just thought they would be for country twang given the logo etc... they are a perfect compliment to my guitar, which is modern finger-style. I'm probably done experimenting at this point. Only downside is, after about 6 hours of play my B string is looking a little black in the first position
Haven't tried the John Pearse on my D-18 yet, but based on yours and WHM's recommendations, I probably will. But how long to the JP's last?? Also, though I flatpick my 18, I play fingerstyle on my Yairi slope, wonder how they'd sound on that?

Honestly, whenever I stray down the path of 'new' or 'boutique' (I consider a $40 set of strings a boutique set) strings, I invariably end up back with my trusty EXP's or my trusty Martin SP4200's.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

GHS Americana strings are described as cryogenically treated. Whether that involves freezing, I have no clue. I do like their strings though.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-18-2017, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Remember the strings whose claim to fame was that they have been subjected to cryogenic freezing? The maker escapes me.
Cryogenic freezing of steel after quenching produces a more complete transformation to the desired microstructure, thus eliminating some internal stresses and the inevitable degradation in properties over time due to latent transformation of microstructure. It's frequently done with tool steel used in woodworking blades and in knife making. Not sure it's worth the extra money for guitar strings, and probably was proven to be a negligible benefit, since you don't see string manufacturers claiming cryo treatment of their strings anymore.

Sorry for the techno-jargon, but it's the best way I know how to describe it.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 08-18-2017, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHill View Post
Cryogenic freezing of steel after quenching produces a more complete transformation to the desired microstructure, thus eliminating some internal stresses and the inevitable degradation in properties over time due to latent transformation of microstructure. It's frequently done with tool steel used in woodworking blades and in knife making. Not sure it's worth the extra money for guitar strings, and probably was proven to be a negligible benefit, since you don't see string manufacturers claiming cryo treatment of their strings anymore.

Sorry for the techno-jargon, but it's the best way I know how to describe it.
Wow... throwback to my metallurgy class back in the 80's.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHill View Post
That there's some mighty big words you're usin' partner.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-18-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphone100 View Post
Is it me or are various string makers trying to reinvent the wheel of late ??? Martin Retro, Titanium this and that, aluminium bronze and so on !!

I try them all, spend a fortune and..........always end up going back to D'addario phos bronzes !!!!
So let me get this straight - You just went out and bought a bunch of different strings (over time) and tried 'em out on your own guitars and formed your own opinions about 'em? Without making a dozen or so posts here to get 20 peoples' opinions about whether you should spend $6 on this set or $10 on that set?

Here's what I have to say about that:
Old 08-20-2017, 07:45 PM

Just put dr sunbeams on a "stiff" dread. Lost some volume and bite, gained warmth and much more comfort. Sounds better on fingerstyle, worse on heavy strum
Old 08-20-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Just put dr sunbeams on a "stiff" dread. Lost some volume and bite, gained warmth and much more comfort. Sounds better on fingerstyle, worse on heavy strum
I agree. Just took them off an OM. Liked them for fingerstyle. Not great strumming strings. A little too floppy. I think that might be the case with round core strings...except Martin Titaniums

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-20-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Well, the D'Addario phosphors are beloved by many. They're well-made, easy to find and reasonably priced. Nothing wrong with having those as your standbys. But there are genuine technological innovations being made with musical instrument strings. D'Addario's Nickel-Bronze strings are something new, and are not just an old alloy that's recently regained some popularity. That exact alloy wasn't used for guitar strings before this.

The John Pearse line of strings uses different alloys sourced from different places than D'Addario's, and as a result John Pearse phosphor bronze strings sound considerably different than the D'Addario phosphors do.

So we're truly living in an era of such material abundance that we have the many choices that we have. This is a fortunate time to be a guitarist.

Wade Hampton Miller

I agree. Over my 30 some years now of completely non professional plucking and fingering I have found that today we have much too choose from.
I use both 80/20 and phosphor bronze strings from Martin and daddario and am about too try some ghs strings as I found on my electrics I favor them over anything coated or not coated. Took me 30 years and a sale too realize ghs boomers are what I like on electric so it will be interesting to try their acoustic strings out.
Strings are a cheap way to find the voice we may be looking for on some guitars.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post
Haven't tried the John Pearse on my D-18 yet, but based on yours and WHM's recommendations, I probably will. But how long to the JP's last?? Also, though I flatpick my 18, I play fingerstyle on my Yairi slope, wonder how they'd sound on that?
Brancher, the only way to find out is to try them out for yourself.

One of the main reasons I personally became a convert to John Pearse strings is because they last me a long, LONG time. My standard set of strings for my rosewood Mossman dreadnought back when that was my main gigging guitar was the GHS Bright Bronze set, which lasted me two weeks (if I was lucky.) After reading a Doc Watson interview in Frets Magazine where he was talking about how great John Pearse strings were, I bought a set of John Pearse 80/20's and they lasted me six weeks instead of two.

Plus they sounded great. They became my go-to strings right then and there. The John Pearse phosphors last me longer still (generally eight weeks instead of six) and the Pearse Pure Nickels last me longer than that: three months, as a rule.

Yet not everyone has the same experience. Some folks don't get much longevity out of John Pearse strings at all, and some of the more strident among them on this forum have accused me of inventing my experiences and, essentially, lying about how long they last me. In their minds, their experiences must be what everyone else is experiencing, as well. When I've suggested that folks with different skin chemistry and picking hand attacks will have different results, they've brushed that aside as irrelevant.

But it's not irrelevant, it's completely true: I cannot predict how long you will be able to keep a set of ANY brand of strings functioning, because I ain't you. It's that simple. But I, personally, get both superb tone and exceptional longevity out of John Pearse strings. It's entirely possible that you will, as well.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-21-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogstar View Post
Dean Markley, Blue Steel. Never tried them, sounded pretty gimmicky.
They used to be a decent product. Real firm tone, loud, chimey. Now they have gone down in price and the quality has diminished. If you can find them in the BOX yet, you may get lucky. The sleeve packs are the lower quality ones.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I think it has to do with the specific guitar you put them on. I've got Sunbeam 12's on my D35 and this guitar ROARS with them on. People have commented on how loud and full my Martin sounds with them on. Previously I would used Martin MSP4100's on this guitar. Elixirs sounded lifeless on it.

Also, I've just put Sunbeams on my Taylor 614ce (2011) and again no loss of volume but increased bass without increasing gauge size. I think these will work on this guitar when they settle in a bit.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-21-2017, 08:13 AM

Like a lot of you, the D'Addario PB strings have been my 'go to' for a long time. However, I have recently tried a set of their Nickle Bronze, and really like them, plus they seem to last a LOT longer. Then, even more recently, I tried a set of DR Rares on a GA sized RW guitar, and WOW, what a difference. I don't know if it was the strings, my old ones were totally flat, or what but these really sound good.

My Advice - hop online, and just order a variety of strings. And don't be shy about trying something different, even if you're 'sure' you won't like them. You might just be surprised.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion