The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2017, 09:53 AM
Guest316

For a little over 4 years I used a wonderful Gibson acoustic that definitely had the tone to die for. But now I'm gigging a $399 Epiphone acoustic that for me is much more enjoyable because of (among other factors) its playability. There are many more factors to playability than neck and action - there's balance (meaning how does the guitar act when you're standing and using a strap), body size, depth, finish (my hand goes all over the fretboard so it needs to move against the finish on the back of the neck) etc. The Gibson beat the heck out of the Epi in tone, but the Epi kicks butt with playability. Both instruments have the same setup from the same luthier. And since I play through BigBill's sound board - the electronics basically null the Gibson's tone advantage on stage.

I'm saying there's a lot more to playability than the neck and the action.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:57 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dut4907 View Post
While playing my DN4 a thought popped into my head. Im picky about my tuning on everything I play. If it doesn't play in tune, no matter what the instrument sounds like, im turned off by the poor playability.

I ones had a HD28V that had the worst intonation problems and traded it for a 410CE.

So I was wondering what would everybody else would prefer.

Would you had a choice from a Brazilian Rosewood Martin that played horribly and the worst intonation., and a Generic guitar that had the best playability in the world. Which do you prefer?
If I was locked in a room and these two guitars were my only choices to play on, give me the one that intonates well. The Martin would drive me nuts otherwise.

In the real world I would pass by both and get one that satisfied me on all points.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-18-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
A great sounding guitar I can't play is no good to me. A great playing guitar that doesn't sound good is also of no use to me. It's not an either/or proposition.
Yes, those two aspects have to go hand-in-hand for me or there's no deal. That said the majority of new guitars need the same kind of tweaking that an off-the-peg suit might in order to get it as comfortable as possible for me. I guess it's all part of a learning process. I'm sure many guitars get passed over by the less experienced because the factory set up is unacceptable, with them not knowing that a guitar is much like a suit-and I hate seeing someone in a suit with concertina trouser legs!
Old 08-18-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dut4907 View Post
While playing my DN4 a thought popped into my head. Im picky about my tuning on everything I play. If it doesn't play in tune, no matter what the instrument sounds like, im turned off by the poor playability.

I ones had a HD28V that had the worst intonation problems and traded it for a 410CE.

So I was wondering what would everybody else would prefer.

Would you had a choice from a Brazilian Rosewood Martin that played horribly and the worst intonation., and a Generic guitar that had the best playability in the world. Which do you prefer?
The answer is simple. As a semi-professional trumpet player, years ago one of my mentors made one statement that has stuck in my mind for years and will be locked in the forefront of my mind forever:

"If you don't play in tune, and you don't play in-time nobody is going to want to play with you!"

The trumpet analogy carries over to guitar nicely. While as a trumpet I'm only responsible for one note at a time, it is critical that intonation on every note is perfect. Perfect intonation is what allows resultant harmonics and that big ringing sound that we all (at least most of us) strive for.

What makes Taylors so desirable is the lingering overtones, which I believe is largely due to the overtones being nearly perfectly in tune to the fundamentals. Traditionally, Martins, to my ear, have many overtones that sound ever so slightly flat to the fundamentals, have quicker overtone decay and fewer resultant harmonics. Hence traditionally less "shimmer". I believe that Martin has been quietly addressing this in models like the HD28, the new D28's and D18's. Just listen to them for what I've described above and perhaps you'll agree?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-18-2017, 10:54 AM

I always look for the right sound first. Then I look for opportunities to improve the instruments playability. And it doesn't hurt if it looks good too...

2023 Taylor AD22e
2001 Guild F47RCE

Certified Fretting Technician - Galloup School of Luthiery 2005
Guitar Builder/Tech
Old 08-18-2017, 12:59 PM

Playability and tone are inseparable to me. If I can play it better, it will sound better.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Traditionally, Martins, to my ear, have many overtones that sound ever so slightly flat to the fundamentals, have quicker overtone decay and fewer resultant harmonics. Hence traditionally less "shimmer".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion