The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-28-2017, 12:47 AM

Default Effect of aging on technique

I had studied classical guitar in college and had played with classical technique for years. A few years ago, my right index finger stopped responding for classical technique. It was depressing. My doctor said it may have to do with age. I have since adapted a non-classical hybrid technique using a pick and my middle and annular fingers. I can play simple to intermediate stuff OK. Just thankful to be playing at all. Wondering if anyone here is also dealing with the effects of age on their technique and how they are overcoming it. Thanks
Old 07-28-2017, 02:07 AM

I had a bad jump on a snowmobile back in 2000 or so and my ring finger has always had trouble working independently of my other fingers, which has made a couple of very simple chords awkward ever since. Injury induced, but it sure didn't used to be that way.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 07-28-2017, 02:31 AM
Charter Member

Few of us survive to , say, middle age, without sustaining some sort of injuries.

Index finger, left hand - crushed between a wall and an iron gate - doesn't curl correctly.
Carpal tunnel issues (RSI).
Broken collar bone and damaged shoulder joint left side,
Broken ribs (fell out of the wrong bath - don't ask)
Arthritic neck, thumbs, etc.

That just my toll ...so far. We adapt.

There are obvious examples of those with disabilities achieving more than they would have done with a fully functioning physique.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:11 AM

Oddly, I am probably playing better now than at any time in my life. Started playing mandolin again couple months ago and it is coming to me very easily, almost suspiciously easy.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Agreed on the injuries and general maladies that come with age being a factor.

But I've also seen many iconic players slow down with age. Segovia, Bream, De Lucia, etc. Most didn't slow down much, but their technical displays of amazing virtuosity in the form of pure, raw technical wizardry did slow down a bit from their younger years. I'm sure that a component of that was maturity in playing... less is more. But no doubt the synapses don't fire as quickly as we get into our twilight years. At 49, I'm not the gunslinger that I was in my 20s. But frankly, it's not a huge loss to me. My phrasing, tone, and awareness of what I'm actually playing are far superior to what they were when I was younger.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
I had studied classical guitar in college and had played with classical technique for years. A few years ago, my right index finger stopped responding for classical technique. It was depressing. My doctor said it may have to do with age. I have since adapted a non-classical hybrid technique using a pick and my middle and annular fingers. I can play simple to intermediate stuff OK. Just thankful to be playing at all. Wondering if anyone here is also dealing with the effects of age on their technique and how they are overcoming it. Thanks
A very worthy topic for consideration.
As we age (imo), it becomes increasingly important to be mindful of all muscles, joints and tendons we use to play, and to be as kind and nurturing to them as we can.
I've noticed over the years on how more easily I can strain or aggravate something in the wrists or hands through regular household tasks, like pulling weeds out of the garden, lifting heavy items during yard work, or working on other routine home based projects. I never used to be that "sensitive", but now I really notice that the potential for injury is much greater, and I just try to be more aware of it. Recovery times are longer too. I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary. It's just something that happens to all of us as we "get on". I'm still very active in sports too, so I try to maintain a good balance. By that I mean, I try not to overdo any particular physical activity (as I used to be prone to earlier in life) and take a much more moderate approach. Giving your body a rest is just as important as working it. I guess that's what I mean by balance.
Anyway, don't want to bore anyone with my philosophy, but you touched on something guitar related that happened to me just a few months ago, similar to you I think, which caused me a good deal of concern, and prompted me to give this topic a lot more consideration lately:
I was practicing one morning back in the spring (I too play a fair amount of classical) and suddenly felt a spasm, or involuntary contractions, in my right hand index finger. Almost like the finger was about to cramp up. Enough to stop me from playing since I could no longer execute properly with the right hand because the "spasm" in my index was messing everything up. It was unnerving to say the least. And it would come back as soon as I started playing again. I had never experienced anything like that ever. So it got me worried that I had some kind of underlying medical issue. It went on for a couple of weeks, and I just couldn't figure out what was causing the problem. I didn't feel any different otherwise, and no pain anywhere.
I talked to my doctor about it. It sounded to him that it could be just a symptom of a pinched nerve, possibly originating somewhere in the arm and as high as the shoulder. As we talked and prodded possible causes I admitted that I had been "working" the shoulders more intensely lately, like ramping up additional yardage in the pool, doing spring cleanup in the yard, even favoring my right side more when sleeping. So he just prescribed a rest period, and awareness to try and balance things outs as far as shoulder stress was concerned.
Thankfully, it worked. I must have pinched something in my shoulder along the way and easing up as he suggested provided enough relief to bring things back to normal. Easy fix. The finger spasm just went away, as if it had never happened. What a relief.
But it doesn't take much, especially when we get older. I guess that's the lesson I learned from this episode. "Everything in moderation" is not something I adhered to when I was younger, I can tell you. But now, it's a saying that I realize applies in lots of situations, including being kinder to all our joints and tendons!
When i play now, I ease more into it, and try my best to minimize tension in both hands. Keeping things limber has been a plus.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 07-29-2017, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Varies of course, but decrease memorization, increased forgetfulness, increased response time, stiffness, discomfort. Take care of your health as best you can.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-29-2017, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

I have severe problems with the lower back which makes setting to play for more than 30-40 minutes difficult, so I try to play or practice a couple of times a day. Doesn't always work but I usually get in at least that 30-40 min I can tolerate.

My biggest problem and complaint comes from arthritis. Playing actually helps with flexibility in my fingers. My real problem is that I can't play bar chords. The first knuckle away from my palm of my index finger is so swollen that the finger will not lay flush across the finger board. There is no position I can achieve that will solve this so I simply can't play bar chords.

As you can imagine, this really interferes with playing a lot of songs/music. I have had to find work arounds in some cases and in other instances I simply cannot play those songs/music.

Old age really isn't for sissies. (smile)

Dave
Old 07-29-2017, 09:09 PM

arthritis is a problem, but so is hearing loss. Maybe that's why Taylors don't sound so bright to me anymore.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

In the context of being a relative newbie with less than 5 years playing experience, I know that playing a musical instrument is excellent mental exercise. I read recently it can engage up to 90% of your brain's processing capacity. But if we also take care of ourselves physically and with luck absent disease or injury, we can do a lot towards minimizing the effects aging can have on our physical capacity as a musician. I try my best to maintain a healthy diet and exercise 3-4 times a week. I also pick outdoor exercise I love to do which includes walk/jogs, paddle boarding, cycling, and sailing small boats (more physical than it can look). It's all complimentary so being one year short of 60, I'm optimistic the best is yet to come for me.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 08-20-2017 at 10:16 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical