The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-14-2017, 05:29 PM

Default The humble Yamaha

I have played on fine all-solid US made and Spanish guitars, a fine Podunavac actually built by K Yairi...fine guitars passing through my hands.

In spite of those, there is something special about a humble all-laminate Yamaha. Much joy.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I don't share it. I'm afraid I've be underwhelmed by nearly every Yamaha I've plaid. Of course, YMMV!

Dave
Old 07-15-2017, 12:06 AM

Humble or otherwise, mind to fingers is the main ingredient. If it plays well, and it's just me, myself & I, I'm in. If I'm playing with someone else, other considerations apply.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:49 AM

I still have my lowly CG171SF Yamaha (solid top though). It was my introduction to nylon string. That Yamaha allowed me to establish I had a connection to the format and establish my willingness to invest time in learning the skills, as well as helping develop my ear before spending a lot. I realize that is old school thinking but, in the case of this instrument, it worked well. I now have other more expensive instruments that do sound better but still find the Yamaha enjoyable and satisfying to play.

The guitar plays well, sounds as good as many guitars costing two and even three times as much, and is a very clean build. After years of using basic string sets, I recently strung it up with a better set (usually reserved for my more expensive nylons), and it sounded even better. In the nylon string world, these were definitely bang for the buck models and the model that replaced it, the CG172SF, is still my first choice/recommendation for the lowest price market. I spent limited time with them and they seem to be a good deal too.

I am glad these guitars were/are around.

hunter
Old 07-15-2017, 07:44 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I don't share it. I'm afraid I've be underwhelmed by nearly every Yamaha I've plaid. Of course, YMMV!

Dave
No doubt there is no fair comparison between typical budget and top shelf guitars...I just believe there is potential enjoyment from either. It's all in the hands of the player.

Last edited by cc407; 07-16-2017 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:23 PM

About 20 years ago I bought a cheap all laminate Yamaha from the shop I was working at. They had about ten of them in the shop for sale and I played each one till I found the one I liked best. Then I outfitted it with a bone nut and saddle.

I have to say that I am still impressed with how well this guitar sounds. It's a C40 IIRC. I only ever bought it for my campfire travel guitar and she has accompanied me in many hotel rooms and campgrounds for all these years. I would never suggest anyone ever consider getting one for stage performances but still she has a time and a place and a purpose and has served me well.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc407 View Post
...there is something special about a humble all-laminate Yamaha.
I agree. I have one and like it very much. It's an intimate sounding guitar. Not loud enough to fill a hall but it's not made for that. Good recording guitars. I just put up a recording in this section called Jazz on Classical Guitar... the main guitar used by the soloist is a Yamaha all laminate.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc407 View Post
No doubt there is no fair comparison between typical budget and top shelf guitars...I just believe there is potential enjoyment from either. It's all in the hands of the player.
I didn't say anything about budget vs top shelf guitars. I simply said I've never played a Yamaha that I liked.

Dave

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-22-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 07-19-2017, 06:18 AM

Just trying to express appreciation for a simple thing. I did not intend to comment on anything other than my personal experience.
Sorry if my meaning was misunderstood. My hands make better sounds on a high end guitar, but I still like the Yamaha.

Last edited by cc407; 07-19-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

This! In the words of Bobby McFerrin... "don't worry, be happy".

My first classical was an all-laminate Yamaha, bought to study classical in college back in '86. I still have it kicking around somewhere. It's the only guitar that I've had that long. It never gets played any more, but I still like knowing that it's around. I actually performed recitals on it while majoring in classical guitar performance and it held it's own just fine with the other students' guitars, some of which were much nicer models. The player made the difference in that case. But of course, the same player is likely to sound better on a higher-end, all-solid instrument. Speaking of that, I have played some of Yamaha's high-end classicals and they are excellent instruments with amazing response and loud projection. If I was still in classical mode, they would not be off the table in terms of something that I would be thinking about picking up.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-22-2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Deleted quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:37 PM

I like Yamaha guitars and feel confident when suggesting them to people on a budget. I play a CG-110CE, plugged. Nylon strings, regardless of what they're fitted to, have a characteristic sound that doesn't quite reach my smile button unless plugged and seasoned to taste. But, that's me. If ceremony was meant to be stood upon, and traditions meant to be upheld, then I suppose someone will "strike up a knightly pose" and do just that.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:57 PM

My first guitar was a used Yamaha G231 II that I bought 25 years ago. I still have it and it still sounds decent. Not quite as clear and the neck is a little chunky compared to more expensive guitars but it is still quite playable. It is now my outside guitar.
1992 Paulino Bernabe M-50
2005 Breedlove C-25 Northwest Classic
1968 Taurus model 56
2005 Dan Lankford 8 Course Renaissance Lute
old German Lute Guitar
1982 Yamaha G231 II
Old 07-23-2017, 08:48 AM

I have one too, maybe 30 years. Not my primary, but a good and faithful companion.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:23 PM

If the yamaha makes you happy, then that is all that matters. I bought an Alvarez AC65HCE and when I posted in here people suggested that I should have bought another guitar so I know how the OP feels.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:34 AM

When I say I use mine outside I don't mean that I bang it around, I still take care of it and keep it in it's case. I teach a music class at school and the best student guitars are the old Yamaha's. They sound the best and are very well made.
1992 Paulino Bernabe M-50
2005 Breedlove C-25 Northwest Classic
1968 Taurus model 56
2005 Dan Lankford 8 Course Renaissance Lute
old German Lute Guitar
1982 Yamaha G231 II

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical