The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-06-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Hi Roger, Thank you for the advice. I am not sure how much of the thread you read but I did mention playing with the mic adjustment screw quite a bit. That doesn't seem to be the problem, I just don't like the tone of the Anthem, especially the tru-mic, in general. Here's what I am hearing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLOxrGTXkVo

This is just a random demo I found online but it has a magnetic quality to it. I don't know how to explain it but the tru-mic just doesn't sound natural to me. It adds this mid range, honky characteristic that's impossible to dial out.
Hi, Petty.

I agree with you the sound in the video is not the best. It's close but
he hasn't nailed the adjustment yet in my mind. Maybe it cuts through
for him in his worship band? Dunno...

He still has too much Tru-Mic in the sound and the high end is still brittle.
The control needs to be bumped down in literally the smallest possible
increments until that brittleness is just gone. His mids and lows sound good
to me though.

It took me hours over a couple afternoons to get it right. It's that touchy.
One could call it a weakness of the implementation. I'm not trying to
sell Anthem SLs, just sharing my experience with one.

Anyway, you need to be happy. Please let us know how your journey
progresses. Cheers,

_Roger
Old 07-07-2016, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oddly enough, I am considering something based around a Fishman Matrix/Spectrum set up. I had this in my guitar before but the system was the matrix blend pickup that was on its way out. I still have the spectrum so I am tempted to try it again and maybe even pair it with the spectrum di for a warmer tone. It just means that I spent a ton on the Felix preamp for nothing!

With that said, I still really want to try the Dazzo pickup out or even the Schatten HFN since it's a breeze to install. I am trying to figure out a way where I could pair the Matrix and the Dazzo for a dual source system. That part is easy enough to do, it would just be awesome to be able to add the spectrum to just the matrix and leave the dazzo as is. I bet that would sound awesome.
Back in late 2012, I tried the Schatten HFN Active in both a 2012 Martin D-18 and 2012 Larrivee D-04, it sounded thin in both guitars and I sent it back to Schatten for a refund. That situation immediately prompted me to finally take a chance on ordering my first Trance Audio Amulet M Dual Mono. I put it in the Martin D-18--Excellent Amplified Tone! I was so taken with my first Trance Amulet M that on the day I got my D-18 up-and-running with it, I ordered another Trance Amulet M for my Larrivee D-04 and it too sounded great with the Trance! Those two guitars are gone but I still have my two Trance Amulet M systems! YMMV
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-07-2016, 06:15 AM

The Anthem SL can be difficult to use as an "on the fly" system, I would have to agree. That being said when I play out using my system, I have no issues and it sounds great. I purchased a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ/DI to deal with the challenges of using other sound systems and the whims of somebody else at the board and it works great.
It took me a while to get mine "dialed-in" for a nice natural tone, but I can tell you I've got it to where my L03 sounds as natural as you can get it amplified. The guy I play with has one installed and he is very picky. He likes his Anthem SL as well. Hey, if it ain't doing what you want, I'm all for changing it.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Back in late 2012, I tried the Schatten HFN Active in both a 2012 Martin D-18 and 2012 Larrivee D-04, it sounded thin in both guitars and I sent it back to Schatten for a refund. That situation immediately prompted me to finally take a chance on ordering my first Trance Audio Amulet M Dual Mono. I put it in the Martin D-18--Excellent Amplified Tone! I was so taken with my first Trance Amulet M that on the day I got my D-18 up-and-running with it, I ordered another Trance Amulet M for my Larrivee D-04 and it too sounded great with the Trance! Those two guitars are gone but I still have my two Trance Amulet M systems! YMMV
The Trance is still very much an option. I have been listening to as many Paul Simon live concerts that he has done in the last two months to get an idea of the Amulet M live. Sometimes I love the tone, sometimes I don't. I think if the Amulet M could be purchased at a regular music store I would be all over but like the Dazzo, it's kind of taking a chance; even with the return policy (I hate sending products back just because I don't like them).

The Schatten is just an option because of how easy it is to install. Schatten is a Canadian company so they are very close by. I haven't used all of their pickups but the ones I have used have been great. I just think it would be a great way to test how I like a SBT in my Taylor without permanently installing it. I can always find somewhere else to use the Schatten if I decide on another system.

A Matrix/Dazzo set up really appeals to me, especially if I could find a way to dial some spectrum aura tones into just the UST. I just don't love the fact that it's a stereo set up. It's going to be costly but I am tempted to order and install a few systems and just find the one that works best.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Trance is still very much an option. I have been listening to as many Paul Simon live concerts that he has done in the last two months to get an idea of the Amulet M live. Sometimes I love the tone, sometimes I don't. I think if the Amulet M could be purchased at a regular music store I would be all over but like the Dazzo, it's kind of taking a chance; even with the return policy (I hate sending products back just because I don't like them).

The Schatten is just an option because of how easy it is to install. Schatten is a Canadian company so they are very close by. I haven't used all of their pickups but the ones I have used have been great. I just think it would be a great way to test how I like a SBT in my Taylor without permanently installing it. I can always find somewhere else to use the Schatten if I decide on another system.

A Matrix/Dazzo set up really appeals to me, especially if I could find a way to dial some spectrum aura tones into just the UST. I just don't love the fact that it's a stereo set up. It's going to be costly but I am tempted to order and install a few systems and just find the one that works best.
As you're already aware, a pickup system--any brand--is always going to sound somewhat like a pickup system, especially when used with a flatpick. Using bareflesh and nails, some pickup systems can approach mic-like tone when fingerpicked (I hate the neo-term "fingerstyle"). I wouldn't judge any system by what I hear in a variety of videos. Trance systems and any other system vary in their tone in videos depending on the video's venue and who recorded it.

Regarding my previous Schatten HTN Active, I ordered the most expensive one, the HFN Artist Plus 2 (with Artist II preamp and two thumbwheel volume controls $224.95 USD) right from Schatten Design because I wanted the latest, untainted rendition, straight from the factory--yes, I am somewhat OCD! If you buy this model or the less expensive version without the bells and whistles, be sure to make sure that the three footings of the wooden pickup housing remain attached to the bridgeplate after installation and restringing/tuning as the tape can let go, especially on the center footing. You may have to sand one or more of the footings to ensure continued contact with the bridgeplate as it can slightly deform and not remain flat under string tension.

The Trance Audio Amulet M Dual Mono system is the easiest system I've ever encountered to install. Although you should get decent to great results from the recommended initial Amulet locations, one of the great features of the system is that you get to fine-tune it to your tonal preferences by relocating the Amulets as many times as you want without damaging anything.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-07-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
As you're already aware, a pickup system--any brand--is always going to sound somewhat like a pickup system, especially when used with a flatpick. Using bareflesh and nails, some pickup systems can approach mic-like tone when fingerpicked (I hate the neo-term "fingerstyle"). I wouldn't judge any system by what I hear in a variety of videos. Trance systems and any other system vary in their tone in videos depending on the video's venue and who recorded it.

Regarding my previous Schatten HTN Active, I ordered the most expensive one, the HFN Artist Plus 2 (with Artist II preamp and two thumbwheel volume controls $224.95 USD) right from Schatten Design because I wanted the latest, untainted rendition, straight from the factory--yes, I am somewhat OCD! If you buy this model or the less expensive version without the bells and whistles, be sure to make sure that the three footings of the wooden pickup housing remain attached to the bridgeplate after installation and restringing/tuning as the tape can let go, especially on the center footing. You may have to sand one or more of the footings to ensure continued contact with the bridgeplate as it can slightly deform and not remain flat under string tension.

The Trance Audio Amulet M Dual Mono system is the easiest system I've ever encountered to install. Although you should get decent to great results from the recommended initial Amulet locations, one of the great features of the system is that you get to fine-tune it to your tonal preferences by relocating the Amulets as many times as you want without damaging anything.
You are making it difficult for me to ignore the Amulet M!
Old 07-08-2016, 11:33 AM

Just yesterday something simple surprised me. For a few weeks, I had been having a mid forward tone problem with my pickup set, that was getting to be uncontrollable. My guitar was sounding completely different from my vocal no matter what I did. I was thinking that I might've damaged the instrument channel somehow.

Yesterday, I began hearing a noticeable hiss coming from underneath the guitars sound. I pulled the plug and ran a new cable, plugged a Mic into the channel, did all sorts of checks. Turns out changing the battery fixed it.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Just yesterday something simple surprised me. For a few weeks, I had been having a mid forward tone problem with my pickup set, that was getting to be uncontrollable. My guitar was sounding completely different from my vocal no matter what I did. I was thinking that I might've damaged the instrument channel somehow.

Yesterday, I began hearing a noticeable hiss coming from underneath the guitars sound. I pulled the plug and ran a new cable, plugged a Mic into the channel, did all sorts of checks. Turns out changing the battery fixed it.
Was this with the anthem sl?
Old 07-08-2016, 01:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
You are making it difficult for me to ignore the Amulet M!
How have you been able to resist this long? I have a duo gig coming up tomorrow night and a full-band show Sunday and I cannot wait to plug in my Amulet M again.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 07-08-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Was this with the anthem sl?
No it was with a Cushman UST /quackbuster feather combo. I posted because our problems seemed to have identical symptoms.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
How have you been able to resist this long? I have a duo gig coming up tomorrow night and a full-band show Sunday and I cannot wait to plug in my Amulet M again.
I think I am going to order it next week. I need to give the Amulet M a try. It's the only way I will know what all the fuss is about!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification