The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickitPaul View Post
If you sell an acoustic guitar, what is the way that is the most efficient or what do most of you do?

1. ebay
2. craigslist
3. guitar forums
4. consignment at guitar store like Elderly
Prob depends upon your goals and the type of guitar. If low end guitar and you don;t want to lose $$ on shipping issues, selling locally is prob best. If it's a rel rarer guitar, not likely to appeal lots of folks in your local environment, then the above list is good. Mostly, trying all things is best because there are many guitars out there on the market.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 06-27-2013, 05:56 PM

Craigslist is my #1 choice. Though I have had plenty of success with ebay, I am bothered by their taking a cut of the shipping fees, and with the rise in shipping charges and insurance cost, it's less money for me.

On the other hand, with CL, I screen responders (absolutely no texting or emails: phone only) and can ask slightly less since there are no fees, Paypal, etc. The buyer gets to try it on the spot and walks away a happy camper!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 PM

Most "efficient" is ebay.

Put it up for a week with a low opening bid and it WILL sell in a week. You might not like the sale price, and you might not like the fees, but it will be gone.

I'd rather sell here, but it can take a lot longer. And you have the frustration of never knowing when you will find an interested party. I have two guitars in the classifieds right now (been there about a week) at rather reasonable prices but no interest so far.

I've done enough deals on Cragislist (cars, other stuff, not guitars) to use CL as a last resort. Craigslisters seem to be the biggest flakes in the universe.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

You know? I have never sold a guitar that I truly cared about... I've given a few away, but nothing that was a keeper...

I would ALWAYS prefer a face-to-face transaction... make sure the buyer is happy, knows all the ins-and-out's of the instrument/pickup system...

Barring that? I would guess I would come to this Forum first, probably co-inciding with having it on consignment at a local store (NEVER a long-distance consignment!)... Unless it was an "ultra-hot deal", I'd stay away from Craigslist completely...

Ebay just gives me the jitters, and I don't know why... I bought ONE item from there, my '73 Fender Deluxe Reverb amp, and was VERY pleased with the whole transaction, but I don't know about selling a nice guitar there...

I'm talking about "decent to very nice" acoustics here, nothing in the <$1k range...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-28-2013, 12:23 AM

Get Paid in cash, drop it off, and run. Include tail-light warranty, when the tail lights are out of sight so is the warranty.

OK not really but I had to say it...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion