The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2004, 10:30 PM

Default My ES Thoughts

I played and sang for about 4 to 5 hours today using my 414 Taylor with a audio technica instrument/guitar mic and a shure sm57 condenser mic. After I was done, I plugged in my 914 with the ES system. I immediately noticed the hot "b" string, but I also noticed my treble/bass knob was turned all the way to the left, so I adjusted it back to the center position. The hot "b" string problem went away with a bit of quick adjustment. I am using a Mackie 808s amplifier/mixer.

I was truly pleased with the quality of the sound and the presence I was getting. For some reason, I am never able to get the punch and presence with the other mics and I usually have to turn the volume way up on them to get anything similar in sound. I also like being able to adjust the quality of the sound right there at my fingertips cuz some songs need to be different than otheres in volume, treble, and bass, etc. than others. I am just a happy ES person.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:12 PM

I've lurked and watched the ES circus for a year, and now feel compelled to speak of my experience.

Perspective:
I'm a working pro who spent $$$ in the past trying to get a decent live acoustic sound through wedges and in-ears. Hybrid systems, mics, contact pickups, magnetics, parametric eq's, blah, blah, blah... everything always made my guitar sound like a tuned shaker.

Application:
Live and loud. No onstage acoustic amp - wedges or in-ears only. Guitar driven pop.

ES Promise:
Pure tone, balanced out, high SPL before feedback.

Reality:
I have had great experience with the ES. After all I had been through trying to get this kind of live tone, it's been very rewarding to play the ES. I set the eq controls on the guitar in the center detents (flat), and use the volume between half and full. I have added a K4 to facilitate my tuner, volume pedal and delay. Most FOH engineers ask what I'm using because they're not having to "fix" the acoustic guitar tone I'm sending them.

I understand people here have had different results, and I'm sorry they have yet to experience the promise of ES. In my application, it's been a huge blessing.

Thanks for hearing me out!

Brian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion