The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-31-2016, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Lap Steel suggestions for newbie - New or "Vintage"?

I regularly play guitar (acoustic and occasionally electric) with the band at church. Last weekend we decided to add a little slide guitar to a song so I borrowed a lap steel from a friend & spent a couple hours learning the basics on how to play it. It sounded great in the song we used it for. So of course now I have the bug to get one of my own. I need to keep this new GAS attack within a $500 budget.

(FWIW - The one I borrowed was a "vintage" Bronson model. I have no clue if that is a good one or not, but it worked just fine, and I thought had nice tone and sustain. The volume POT was a little scratchy, but I just left it be and our sound guys controlled my volume from the tech booth since I was mic'd through the PA).

I've searched here on the AGF, as well as elsewhere on the internet, trying to get an education. As usual, I ended up with information overload. I understand some of the vintage ones (1940-50's) are generally preferred for their pickups and "mojo". But the more I looked, the more I became concerned about buying a "vintage" piece of junk (i.e.: bad pickup, corroded POTS or wiring, bad or broken tuners, cracked or severely damaged neck or body, etc). And what brand of "vintage" is best? National, Supro, Magnatone, etc. There are a ton of vintage names out there. Very confusing!

In looking at new models, Gretsch seems like it might be a viable option (at my price point), or an Allen Melbert. I like the idea of the Melbert - one man shop in Tennessee making his "boutique" lap steels at a reasonable price. But are they really as sweet sounding and have the sustain as a good, properly functioning "vintage" lap steel?

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions from experienced lap steel players!

Thanks!
- Mike

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
- Edith Wharton, writer
Old 10-31-2016, 05:26 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I have a 1945 Supro Supreme Hawaiian Guitar Model 1400 and a modern Gretsch G5715.

Gretsch

Supro

The Supro is a lot of fun and sounds great but I don't bang it around to gigs much. While it is still solid, at 70 years old its celluloid "mother of toilet seat" wrapping is feeling a bit fragile. I had a Magnatone a while back and a prick to the celluloid caused it to shatter. I mostly take the Gretsch out and it is the one that goes to the studio sessions. It is smooth-sounding and is robust enought to handle the work. I've reviewed the Gretsch HERE and described the Supro HEREin case you want to learn more.

There are examples of the Gretsch at work HERE and HERE. Both clips are copyrighted.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-31-2016, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

I have one of each - a Melbert, and something a little more vintage.

The Melbert (top) is a thing of beauty - Robert Allen was a pleasure to work with, advised me well, and I ended up with a lovely sounding and playing instrument. Currently tuned to C6 - GACEGACE.

The Guyatone (bottom) just appealed to me because of the way it looked. Mechanically and electrically it's in pretty good shape - the pickup switches are a bit erratic - but cosmetically, it's as one might expect for something which is probably 30-40 or so years old. It sounds excellent in open E, and does the C6 thing well, as well.

Sadly, I've had little time to devote to either, and am seriously contemplating divesting myself of either or both. PM me if you might be interested - I have a new camera to fund

The Recording King in the centre of the photo was what got me started on all this. It was a good starter steel, but, frankly, the Melbert and the Goya are just streets ahead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0076.jpg (34.9 KB, 63 views)
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-31-2016, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Hey Bob -
Thanks for replying to my thread, and posting links to your recordings and reviews. Very helpful... and some really nice slide work my friend! What tuning do you use?

My takeaway from your post is that I'd probably be better served with a new one vs. gambling on a vintage model.

Are you familiar with Allen Melbert lap steel guitars?

- Mike

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
- Edith Wharton, writer
Old 10-31-2016, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

David - I sent you a PM.
Thanks -
Mike

- Edith Wharton, writer
Old 10-31-2016, 06:35 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastman View Post
Hey Bob -
Thanks for replying to my thread, and posting links to your recordings and reviews. Very helpful... and some really nice slide work my friend! What tuning do you use?
Thanks for your kind words! Both of those examples were in open E minor. I use E Major and minor, D Major and minor, and concert tuning.
Quote:
My takeaway from your post is that I'd probably be better served with a new one vs. gambling on a vintage model.
Are you familiar with Allen Melbert lap steel guitars?
- Mike
Yeah, I think it is probably wise to start with something dependable and then add vintage ones from there. My one-day dream is to get an old Rickenbacker Panda B6 or a '38 Gibson EH-150.

You don't really own one of those, you just serve as a custodian.

I don't know Melbert guitars.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-01-2016, 08:03 AM

More than once I have recommended a Peavey Powerslide. You can find them for under $200. They are great. And that is coming from the owner of a 1932 National Style 1 Hawaiian, and a much more expensive electric. It can be played sitting, standing with a strap, and even in regular guitar position. No idea why you would want to play in regular position but the guy in the vid does. It does look cool to play it that way I guess.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Blue. I've seen those Powerslides on Reverb, and didn't pay much attention to them as they were so "out of the box" I figured they were a gimmick. I'll definitely give them another look now! I agree though- I don't think I'd play it strapped around my neck like he did in the video.

- Edith Wharton, writer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments