The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-27-2016, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Which system for first try at home recording of acoustics on my laptop

I want to do more recording of my acoustics and include a bit of multi-tracking (max 8 tracks). May do vocals but no plans for anything more complex at this stage. So I am thinking of moving beyond my aged Zoom H4 by adding some simple recording software to my laptop and buying an entry level USB interface. I have a new laptop with Windows 10, a good CPU and plenty of RAM.

So I go to the ProTools website – and eventually find that their initial freebie (Pro Tools First) does not even support Windows 10.

Then I go to Presonus for a USB interface with basic software included – and the reviews highlight their various shortcomings in recording guitars.

At this stage I think, rather than keep searching in ignorance, ask my acoustic guitar peers what they are using. I hope someone can make a recommendation for me.

Thanks,
Colin
Old 08-27-2016, 07:27 AM

You don't mention your budget for this. There are a lot of different directions to go and many price points to match. If you're just beginning with software recording, simple is good. I use Cubase Pro on a Mac. Their entry-level Elements software would be great for what you want to do and also includes some really nice processing and instrument plug-ins. Download the free trial and see what you think.
Also get a cheap, but decent condenser mic (or pair) and a USB 2x2 interface. Great quality can be had these days for very little $. I've used Prosonus, Focusrite and MOTU interfaces all with good success with acoustic guitars.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...lements_8.html
Old 08-27-2016, 07:46 AM

Get a decent interface (I use a Focusrite 6i6) and a decent affordable DAW (I use Reaper ... $60 if you buy after you try it). You'll need one or two decent condenser mics (I use two MXL-4000 large diaphragm multi-pattern mics, and have a closet full of others).

When it comes to DAW software, more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better. Reaper is a fully functional product, with tens of thousands of serious users.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

I started with a zoom h4, then to a Focusrite 6i6, which was fine. I now have a motu ultralite avb which is better. The motu is in a similar audio quality class as the rme baby face pro but a much different form factor and feature set.

I'm using reaper for a daw. The right one for you may depend on how much/little time you want to spend using and learning it. Consider that any daw will require you spend some amount of time learning, so my suggestion is get something that is powerful enough so you won't have to change to a different one.

Consider a stereo mic setup for your acoustic if you will be doing any solo instrument recording; sounds better and there's a lot more experimenting that can be done in stereo. I'm using 3 zigma mics, which have interchangeable capsules; sdc and ldc. I've used the Oktava 012 sdc in the past and it's a nice acoustic mic.

What's your budget? You do want your gear to be balanced (in terms of audio quality) but I'd say don't skimp on the microphones. It's easy to upgrade your interface without losing too much but if you upgrade mics your old ones will probably collect dust in your closet and you'll be out whatever they cost you.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 08-27-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

Thanks guys, sounds like Focusrite and Reaper is a good start at a price I can afford and it will give me quality and flexibility I will probably not outgrow. I have done a bit of internet browsing and find that the Focusrite 2i2 gives me the two balanced inputs and outputs I want for solo recording of stereo on a guitar, although if my plans change the extra inputs and outputs on a 6i6 could be mighty handy. So the extra $100 or so to buy a 6i6 instead of a 2i2 is probably good long term planning. They come bundled with Abelton Live Lite which is Windows 10 compatible, as is Reaper if I go down that path.

Mics - i expect to start with the mics (uni and omni) that I have in the closet from my band days - Shures etc but built for the rigours of gigs and not classy recording. If I can get my head around the DAW and recording again then I will upgrade the mics....and come back to you for recommendations and a budget at that time!

Thanks again.
Col
Old 08-28-2016, 05:48 AM

There are a few big advantages of the 6i6 vs the 2i2.

The 6i6 requires an external power supply (not via USB) which means the headphone amps and phantom power will be more powerful than on those units that use USB power alone. A USB 2.0 interface can only supply 2.5 watts of power which is low to run main outputs, headphones and phantom power.

Secondly the 6i6 is capable of running it's own low latency mixer with effects which could be very useful to you.

I have tried the Roland Quad Capture, A Presonus interface and my current interface an RME Babyface (not Pro Babyface). I never found the headphone output powerful enough on any of these USB powered interfaces.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 08-28-2016, 07:36 AM

I just bought a Focusrite 18i8 and in no time I had every jack filled. It comes with a really nice mixer software so that you can control all routings from your computer. For recording software I use Sonar Platinum. It's pricey to buy new, but I bought mine one step at a time, so it wasn't too bad. It's really nice software and they give you a ton of extras...
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 08-28-2016, 05:05 PM

Just a heads-up on the new Focusrite 2nd gen stuff, make sure you're computer is USB-3 compatible, otherwise it won't work. I bought one for my older Mac laptop and... no go.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:12 PM

Wow thanks for the heads up. I dodged a bullet because I bought an older 1st generation 18i8. I'm not sure if my computer has USB-3 or not. My older unit is working just fine.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 08-29-2016, 04:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlight View Post
Just a heads-up on the new Focusrite 2nd gen stuff, make sure you're computer is USB-3 compatible, otherwise it won't work. I bought one for my older Mac laptop and... no go.
Ouch! I had been worrying about Windows 10 and had not even got to USB-3 considerations. Thanks for the heads up as the 6i6 I have been considering is gen2.

And thanks Paul on the external power for the 6i6 - good point to bear in mind. Will also look at the 18i8 that another poster mentioned.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:
i thougt it's a USB 2 interface, why is USB 3 needed?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet6i6G2

maybe it was an OS problem, according to focusrite it supports only
10.10 (Yosemite), 10.11 (El Capitan) and win7 (64) and higher:
https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-i...s/scarlett-6i6
Old 08-29-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
I use Cubase Pro on a Mac. Their entry-level Elements software would be great for what you want to do.... Also get a.... USB 2x2 interface. Great quality can be had these days for very little $. I've used Prosonus, Focusrite and MOTU interfaces all with good success with acoustic guitars....
This is what I'm using -- Cubase Elements and a Focusrite 2i2. With a newer Mac, the Focusrite is directly compatible - no driver needed. This essentially turns my computer into a full-blown recording studio. I build up pieces one track at a time, so I only use one of the 2i2's inputs. Of course, when mic-ing an acoustic guitar, two mics are better than one, so my interface is ready for that.... if I had another mic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD