The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-26-2017, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Any tips to reduce amp buzz? (Possibly 60Hz hum)

My amp buzzes and hums when I turn the guitar left and right and there is only one sweet spot that doesn't hum. Anyone have any tips on how to cure that? I've tried power conditioners and that HumX that you put between the amp power cable and the outlet but neither did much.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Some good info and tips here, http://www.prosoundweb.com/topics/st...ctric_guitars/ In my experience, a good high-end cable gets rid of most of my noise problems, particularly with effects boxes and high gain. Does the hum go away or change if you use a different, or much shorter, cable into the amp?
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 03-27-2017, 05:36 AM

That's likely coming from external sources if it's affected by guitar orientation. You might try relocating your setup elsewhere in the room and see if it improves. Do you have any dimmers, window A/C units, compact fluorescent lights, or other potentially noisy electronics in the immediate area, i.e. within a room or two of your amp?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 03-27-2017, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
My amp buzzes and hums when I turn the guitar left and right and there is only one sweet spot that doesn't hum. Anyone have any tips on how to cure that? I've tried power conditioners and that HumX that you put between the amp power cable and the outlet but neither did much.
Hi jgottsman11…

Hello and welcome to the forum! Glad you joined and tossed in a question…

What amp/model? Does it do this everywhere or only at a certain electrical outlet in your home?

With every guitar or only a particular model?

With every cable you own, or only one particular guitar cable?

We are sorely lacking info with which to give you a solid lead which might point to the answer.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-27-2017, 08:00 AM

Buzz is different than 60Hz hum. What you are describing would seem to be RFI from some device other than your guitar/amp. Some guitars are more prone to this than others. Answers to LJ's questions would help s.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-27-2017, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi jgottsman11…

Hello and welcome to the forum! Glad you joined and tossed in a question…

What amp/model? Does it do this everywhere or only at a certain electrical outlet in your home?

With every guitar or only a particular model?

With every cable you own, or only one particular guitar cable?

We are sorely lacking info with which to give you a solid lead which might point to the answer.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I believe I've got some nice cables but ill go pick up a few high end ones after classes today. I'm using a fender hot rod deluxe III and I've ran all my guitars through it to compare noises. Some are much louder than others. My room has flourescent lights that can be dimmed along with other electronics like my tv, cable box, xbox, etc. Using a delay, reverb, and looper pedal. I've tried turning off the lights and tv and everything and no change. Some days are better than others. I'll try relocating to a room with minimal electronics and also go buy some new pedal cables and longer cables.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I unplugged the router I have in my room and it decreased the buzz quite significantly. still there a little bit but that's a good step. hopefully I can keep troubleshooting and pinpoint the rest of the culprits
Old 03-27-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I believe I've got some nice cables but ill go pick up a few high end ones after classes today. I'm using a fender hot rod deluxe III and I've ran all my guitars through it to compare noises. Some are much louder than others. My room has flourescent lights that can be dimmed along with other electronics like my tv, cable box, xbox, etc. Using a delay, reverb, and looper pedal. I've tried turning off the lights and tv and everything and no change. Some days are better than others. I'll try relocating to a room with minimal electronics and also go buy some new pedal cables and longer cables.
My understanding is that dimmers can cause hum problems. I either read that or someone told me that. YMMV. Welcome to the forum!!

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 03-27-2017, 03:31 PM

Default Any tips to reduce amp buzz?

No booze or smoke for your amp until after the gig...
Old 03-28-2017, 06:55 AM

Yes, dimmers can cause electric noise. But that noise is typically transmitted through the electric circuits, not as RFI (which the OP's post would indicate - the noise changes as he moves around.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-28-2017, 09:55 AM

Try some LED lights. First of all, you will be floored by the better light you get. It's a whiter light. Then there's the reduction of heat. I have alot of bulbs in my living room, and it made a difference on ac cooling. On top of all that they last a long long time and cost pennies a year to run. Lowes is now carrying alot of direct replacement led's for recessed lighting. Home depot carries led tubes that allow you to toss out the ballast in a florescent fixture. I put 4 tubes in my kitchen and was floored by how much better it was.
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Abilene Hot Rod Bass (found parts in trash can an resurrected)
Peavey TKO Bass Amp
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
A few more things that I'll add soon
Old 03-28-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
That sweet spot is called a null.

I'm guessing that your guitar has single coil pickups which tend to pick up any stray crud in the room. I don't think there is much you can do about it with the possible exception of wrapping your cable(s) around a torroid donut at each end.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:04 AM

Often Gibson electrics (especially newer ones) have an unfavorable hum.
I eliminated that in two 2015 models by lining the cavities with copper foil tape. I've also found that even overly expensive cables have humming problems. Often replacing a cable in the loop, will eliminate most humming.
I was shocked when my amp was humming like crazy, and I replaced an expensive new cable (over $75.00) and the extraneous humming was gone!
Good luck.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
That sweet spot is called a null.

I'm guessing that your guitar has single coil pickups which tend to pick up any stray crud in the room. I don't think there is much you can do about it with the possible exception of wrapping your cable(s) around a torroid donut at each end.
i'd agree. but, you could try putting foil tape in the pickup cavities and under the controls. it sure helped my strat.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars