The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-01-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Yikes - he really cooled off on that Custom Shop rig. He sounds like he just broke up with his girl friend and lost his job.
Yeah, but I get it too. I've played Fender Custom shops. Assuming we are talking guitars with nothing ostentatious or over the top, just guitars intended to be players, I haven't seen one that is worth twice as much as a nice USA G&L to someone who is looking for a great guitar to play, and not just collect.

And I know others will disagree with that, but there is every chance that a USA ASAT is going to be as good, or even a "better guitar" than a custom shop tele. Because G&L is low production, and they are mostly built to order. Even if you didn't custom order your G&L, it's very likely that the shop you bought it from did spec it out.

Take my ASATs for instance. One is a Slim C and the other is a #1, which I think is now called the Classic C. Both 1 5/8ths. Both 12 inch radius. One bought new, the other used. But both were speced out by somebody, because the 12 inch radius isn't standard. They would both be considered custom shop guitars if they were Fenders. And again the used one cost me less than $700 and the new one cost me less than $950, and it's a semihollow with no F-hole. That's a pretty slick option.

I'm not delusional about this stuff because I own them and am a Fan Boy. I own a couple full on custom Nationals (also bought used), and I own Japanese, Korean, Mexican, and Indonesian built guitars too. I assure you, I don't define myself or have my ego invested in my G&Ls That's what the Nationals are for
Old 03-02-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkatsonis View Post
Your original post inspired me to pick up a Tribute Bluesboy a week or two later when they dropped the price to a stupidly low $249, if I recall correctly. At that price, I figured that I could do anything to the guitar ... not that it really needed anything. Fit and finish were superb and the electronics were good enough. I was surprised, for example, to see full sized pots. Still, I couldn't resist, and the guitar has now been upgraded with a bone nut, Hipshot locking tuners, CTS pots, a CRL switch, and a set of custom Benson pickups. My total outlay for the guitar was about $500. Kind of ridiculous, because I could have picked up a used American-made Bluesboy for only a couple hundred dollars more, but this was more fun. And of course it's a completely different guitar other than the name and the shape.

Regarding Squier, I'd say that the Vintage Vibe series is close to the quality of a G&L Tribute but falls short in the pots and switches.
Nice. Im kind of surprised that the Bluesboy has become my favorite of my three, as the two Ascaris have a wider nut and are set-necks.

Something about the neck carve and the satin maple neck really feels great to me. It rings with better sustain too, perhaps due to the longer scale length (I prefer short scale on acoustics).

The BB is my fave with GTS being second. The middle position on the BB is startlingly similar to a Strat. The GT90 is a one trick pony IMO, but is great with blues.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-02-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 63 View Post
The USA ones are well built guitars. MFDs have their own sound that's pretty different from Fender alnico pickups.

The best model is probably the outstanding Bluesboy with a Seth Lover humbucker at the neck.
I second that! Picked up a BB recently and, to my ear, the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover HB is my favorite HB.

Tip: to balance the neck and bridge PU levels, don't rely solely on lowering the HB, adjust the pole pieces also to fine-tune the levels.

Highly recommended.

1988 Alvarez-Yairi DY-38
2014 Taylor 150ce
2014 Taylor Custom 516E
2014 Taylor 716E
2015 Martin D-18
2015 Martin 00L-17
2015 Martin 00-17S
2019 Taylor 816CE B.E.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinearjones View Post
I second that! Picked up a BB recently and, to my ear, the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover HB is my favorite HB.

Tip: to balance the neck and bridge PU levels, don't rely solely on lowering the HB, adjust the pole pieces also to fine-tune the levels.

Highly recommended.
The middle position on a Seth Lover equipped Blues Boy is ridiculous. One of the best tones I've ever gotten out of any guitar. I haven't played one of the new ones with the G&L designed humbucker through my amps so I can't comment on them.

Never fails to amaze me how many folks complain about the Seth Lover in Blues Boys on Forums. "Too Dark"... Or possibly you just can't help but replace pickups in your guitars? It does require less commitment than playing.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:49 PM

I didn't read all the responses but here's my two cents.
G&L's Tele copies are well-built, nice guitars...end of story.
Fender Telecasters are well-built, nice guitars...end of that story.
Tone comparisons are irrelvant because both manufacturers offer a wide variety of pickup types in their various models.
Play both and find the one that suits you.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-16-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I would only argue that the Fender sounds much better to you than your ASAT. Bear in mind that as I stated above they make the ASAT Alnico Classic which has telecaster pickups in it.

If I had a guitar that had my pretty much my favorite neck shape, I'd make sure it also had my favorite sound
Yes, I gotta agree. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd r and r another set of pickups, at least the bridge p/u. Just not sure which one?
Love the G & L neck size. I have way too many electric guitars.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:07 PM

I have an ASAT Classic. It is meaty and it is not light; it has a comfortable, filling neck profile, it can cover a lot of bases. It is not a slick player, but I have the action a little high on it.
I think it is an excellent guitar and an even better value.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 04-09-2017, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Default G&L ASAT Classic

Looked for a used G&L ASAT Classic with a 1-11/16" nut and string spacing to match for close to 2 years. Finally gave up and bought a Telecaster. For a guy with big hands and fingers the wider neck was a must. Why G&L made so many different neck profiles I don't understand. Could never make a 1-5/8" nut work for my bologna fingers. Wasn't going to take the hit on a new one. Ordered a used one from a GC that I just fell in love with. Grabbed the neck and started to play and realized the dude at GC apparently didn't know how to run a measuring device. Back it went!

It was sweet while it lasted. One chord and it made your shoe vibrate.
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 04-10-2017, 12:11 AM

I think that if you're really looking for classic telecaster tones and feel, you really can't go too far wrong with a MIM Fender Tele. Their basic pickups are actually pretty decent, but if you wanted to really up the game, you could put in a set of Fat 50s or TexMex tele pups and I would challenge you to find a better Tele regardless of origin.

Granted, the fit & finish are more refined on the USA jobs...better woods and finishes, hardware, allathat, but in the price range you're speaking of, the MIM Fenders really do hold their own and then some.

I think I paid about $450 for my MIM Nashville Tele...this is the best guitar for the least amount of money of all my axes and is my go-to stage ax for all the open tuning/Stones/Zep covers that we do.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars