The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-29-2017, 03:34 PM

Default godin 5th avenue composer verse Eastman a371

all things being equal, price as well, out of the two what is the better entry
level arctop, acousticly, the godin 5th avenue composer or the eastman 371
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce
Old 01-29-2017, 04:45 PM

The Composer is heads and tails a better instrument.

The 371 is a cheap 175 copy, that doesn't even get that sound. The Composer is a professional grade instrument that's already being used live by the likes of Philip Catherine.

I'd argue even the much cheaper single pickup Kingpin is a better guitar. Eastman makes some great guitars...the 371 is just okay.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-29-2017, 07:41 PM

In terms of unplugged tone, there are very few guitars with built-in pickups that can compete with a dedicated acoustic instrument on anywhere near an equal basis - the early post-war non-cutaway Gibson ES-300 and 17" ES-150, and a handful of custom-order single-pickup L-5C's (think Wes Montgomery) being the only ones that come quickly to mind, none of which are in your price range. That said, if you simply need something that'll allow you to practice unplugged in your bedroom with reasonable tone/volume, I'll second Jeff on the Godin Kingpin; as the happy owner of a 5th Avenue acoustic and CW II electric I'll tell you that both of these guitars punch way above their weight - and you could do far worse in either price range (including some high-profile name brands). If you want true acoustic-electric versatility and/or you're looking to cop some early-50's mojo, you'll need something that was designed as a pure acoustic instrument first and foremost, and equipped with a suspended pickup that doesn't interfere with top vibration; if you don't want to/can't step up about $400-500 for an Eastman I'd recommend a new Guild A-150 - although Loar makes an L-4C type instrument in the low-$1K+ price range their neck geometry (very important on an acoustic archtop) can be more than a bit spotty...
Old 01-30-2017, 01:21 PM

Steve DeRosa is right when he talks of the differences between a carved top instrument against a laminate one: there really is no comparison. I've owned both of the models you are interested in and acoustically they are very similar as indeed are most laminate archtops. The amplified sound is really down to your own preferences, as build wise I think they are close. The 371 is obviously a 175 look-alike and although it doesn't really sound like a Gibson, it does sound very good, it all depends on your amp and the way it is set. Equally, the Godin can produce excellent amplified sounds and both guitars could be used in a pro setting without letting the side down, in my opinion.
So it is really the age old question we guitarists have to answer: does it sound good (to you) and does it play well? I think both these instruments are very good for their price range so in the end it's down to you.
Incidentally, I still have my Eastman.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
...the Godin can produce excellent amplified sounds and both guitars could be used in a pro setting without letting the side down, in my opinion...
I've heard that Tony Bennett's guitarist is using the CW II, and I'd be inclined to believe he knows a little something about tone...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops