The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-06-2016, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Cleveland International Classical Guitar Festival

Spent a good deal of time at the Cleveland International Classical Guitar Festival this past weekend held at the Cleveland Institute of Music. What a great experience it was...I thoroughly enjoyed myself!

I observed a Master Class taught by Jason Vieaux and another taught by Ricardo Jesús Gallén, then I had the privilege of seeing both of these virtuosos in concert at CIM's Mixon Hall--which is just a beautiful venue. Here is a pic of Ricardo Jesús Gallén performing Fernando Sor's Grand Sonanta, Op. 25, on a copy of a Johann Georg Stauffer romantic guitar by Bernhard Kresse (Germany)...

...and one of the magnificent Jason Vieaux, playing a double-top guitar by Gernot Wagner (Germany).

Jason played pieces by Bach, Albeniz, Jobim, and his own arrangement of this Duke Ellington standard--which was a pleasant surprise and just blew me away. Here it is off his great CD "PLAY".

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 06-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like it was a great event. These Guitar Festivals are all over the country, and offer a great opportunity for both students and interested individuals to see professionals and students performing at a high level. Many of the universities that have guitar programs have these festivals. I know of at least 5 that are within a few hours drive of Charlotte, where I live. There may be more. Often, it's also a place to see guitars too. Some of these festivals have luthiers present with instruments to try out.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
Sounds like it was a great event. These Guitar Festivals are all over the country, and offer a great opportunity for both students and interested individuals to see professionals and students performing at a high level. Many of the universities that have guitar programs have these festivals. I know of at least 5 that are within a few hours drive of Charlotte, where I live. There may be more. Often, it's also a place to see guitars too. Some of these festivals have luthiers present with instruments to try out.
Yes, this Festival had a french polish workshop given by Canadian master guitar maker Joshia de Jonge, as well as an exhibit of select guitars that were demonstrated by Tim Beattie (one of the advanced students at Cleveland Institute of Music, studying under Jason Vieaux). Unfortunately, I couldn't make either of those events.

The Cleveland International Classical Guitar Festival is in its 16th year and very highly regarded. Classical Guitar magazine considers it, "One of the largest and most prestigious annual American guitar events", and "[Among] two of the most important annual American classical guitar events". I have nothing to compare it to, but it certainly was an extraordinary event.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical