The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-22-2016, 06:02 AM

Default Help me learn Drivin N Cryin's "Straight to hell"

Got the tabs and lyrics, but on the album version, he starts the song and during some transitions between verses, plays a simple four note country run that isn't included in the tabs I found. Can anyone provide the chords or tabs for that 4 note transitional run.

A short cut is the best I could figure out. It's the first four notes on the tune.

https://youtu.be/CSvf6FsSnjg?t=7

Thanks

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22

Last edited by psychojohn; 04-22-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:51 AM

Default Uhhh Ohhh !

Uhhh Ohhh, 36 views and no advice. Not good for what I thought was a standard 4 note country riff. I have faith the answer is out there. Anyone ? Anyone ?

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 04-25-2016, 07:07 AM

Man ! if the show "Name that tune" comes back, this one might be a stumper despite my thought that this was a common country riff. No takers in 87 views.

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 04-25-2016, 07:54 AM

John,

I think folks like myself can't believe you're serious, really.

You have a signature full of guitars and you're saying you can't figure out the first four notes of this song ?? What am I missing ??

Like the song by the way........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 04-25-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
John,

I think folks like myself can't believe you're serious, really.

You have a signature full of guitars and you're saying you can't figure out the first four notes of this song ?? What am I missing ??

Like the song by the way........
rmyaddison, I have the means to own em, but not the skills to easily play em and wheather skepticism/criticism like your's here ... but through your posts to others, I know you to be supportive so here it goes ... in other posts (to the skoffs and jeers of others) I've wondered if I am musically disabled or handicapped. Pre teen age (9 vs 10 yo), parents got me a Gibson acoustic + one year of lessons (+ one hour a day of parent enforced practice) after which I could play "East side/West side" and "Little Brown Jug." My teacher told my parents they were wasting their money and fired me. I came home and smashed my guitar. Never picked up another until about 3 years ago. After 3 years of waiting for my daughter in a music studio and seeing people coming and going for guitar lessons, I decided to give it another try. After first year of lessons and GAS learned three tunes (was happy and proud of with that, at one point but no more). Another 1/2 year of lessons, without learning any more new tunes despite religious practice and attendance of lessons. Switched to a different teacher in the same organization, 6 months of lessons without learning a new tune despite religious practice and attendance. On a few posts here, wondered if switching between guitars or the instructors teaching what they wanted rather than what I needed was slowing me down and got very little support and mostly skeptical questioning/challenging of the voracity of my honesty about my practice schedule. Quit lessons all together and in the first week using Justin's beginner's book learned three more new songs as they were at my skill level rather the skill level my instructors were pushing me to (songs in Justin's intermediate and advanced books). I remain inefficient on C, G, and F chord changes and am stalled/limited to tunes with A, D, and E chords, so this tune (straight to hell) and Neil Yong's "Helpless" are the tunes I am currently pursuing as they work in one or more of my "bain chords" (C, G, F) but at a very slow tempo. But, yes I am serious, simply by listening or watching, I can't tell what chords are in that riff. I think he's probably living on the low E and D strings, but beyond that am challenged to the point of asking for help. Would a troll really subject themselves to the embarrassment I go through by posting such a question ?

Perhaps I should take my sigi down as clearly many besides yourself seem to feel a beginner or just lousy guitar player like myself shouldn't have or hasn't earned the right to own so many guitars. I kinda thought that by earning my doctorate in psychology and working for 25 years (most in my own practice), I had earned the right to purchase what I want, irrespective of my skill. But I understand the "You should earn it" mentality when it comes to guitars. Perhaps if there was an AGF for guitar idiots or a "Baby AGF" for people who are still learning to strum and have to ask basic or dumb questions, I could live there; but this site has been the most supportive I've found, so I keep taking the risk of asking em despite owning some world class instruments that I don't deserve based on my skill level and repeatedly having that shoved in my face). Sorry to offend with so many guitars and so little skill, knowledge and music theory, but I remain motivated to learn to play so will continue my search for knowledge whether deserving of such knowledge or not.

The bottom line is, due to decades of training in an area other than guitar, I make a decent living, but am a very very slow learner when it comes to music, so I've acquired more and better guitars than many think I should have. I remain unrelenting, however, in my mission to learn to play new tunes, and dare I say even write one or two myself despite being under skilled compared to my sigi.

Soooooo... if any one knows those four chords, I'd appreciate it as my shame knows no boundaries, and the Drivin N Cryin facebook page is my next stop to try and find someone who can tell me that information.

Thanks !

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22

Last edited by psychojohn; 04-25-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:13 AM

Thank you for the explanation, I hope you can understand I/we have had none of the information you just provided, I appreciate your candor.

The song is in G, I believe you have tabs, The first four notes are G (third fret bass E string), open A, B (second fret A string), back to G (third fret low E string).

I do like the song.......

Old 04-25-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the explanation, I hope you can understand I/we have had none of the information you just provided, I appreciate your candor.

The song is in G, I believe you have tabs, The first four notes are G (third fret bass E string), open A, B (second fret A string), back to G (third fret low E string).

I do like the song.......
Thanks for the info. It was the B that was stumping me, Learned it, but not much use of it so far. This knowledge will make it go easier.

I really love, I mean LOVE to sing but have a terrible, I do mean TERRIBLE voice and love to play the guitar but am a lousy player. Believe me it really sucks wanting to do something well that you really suck at soooo bad.

I really do appreciate your guidance.

Thanks

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22

Last edited by psychojohn; 04-25-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
Thanks for the info. It was the B that was stumping me, Learned it, but not much use of it so far. This knowledge will make it go easier.

I really love, I mean LOVE to sing but have a terrible, I do mean TERRIBLE voice and love to play the guitar but am a lousy player. Believe me it really sucks wanting to do something well that you really suck at soooo bad.

I really do appreciate your guidance.

Thanks

John
Do you have the chords, I gave you the individual notes, not the chord structure ?? If not I'll listen later and post them, not promising today............. I have a NUGD coming today...

Old 04-25-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Do you have the chords, I gave you the individual notes, not the chord structure ?? If not I'll listen later and post them, not promising today............. I have a NUGD coming today...
Now that I know the notes, I think I should get the chords but if I fail might come back and ask. You've already given me the big hints with the fret numbers and open chords. Thanks !

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell