The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2010, 05:14 PM

Default Blueridge 143-2 vs Seagull SWS Maritime Folk

I have both of these in my sights and would like your opinions on both. I can not get out and try either one, unfortunately. Which would you buy? and why?

There is not enough of a price difference to worry about the $. Both are in my price range. Both seem to be excellent guitars for the money.

And i am considering the 143-2, with the 1 3/4" nut. Not the 143 with the 1 11/16" nut.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:21 PM

Seagull all day, every day. Made in Canada instead of a Chinese sweatshop, better built, and cool vibe.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:03 AM

Quite different guitars. Which sound do you prefer?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

This thread might have some useful info. about both brands.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=184665
Old 06-18-2010, 09:57 AM

Two different catagories in guitars... Why compare? What are you looking to do with the guitar? What style of music?
Old 06-18-2010, 02:11 PM

Tone is the deciding factor here. Yes, both guitars are well made and high quality. The Blueridge is quite the boomer, very well suited for bluegrass flatpicking. The Seagull has a sweeter, brighter tone, think similar to Taylor. If it's a historic cannon you're after go with the Blueridge. If it's a more contemporary sound you're after go with the Seagull... IMO.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

i prefer the blueridge. it sounds great - not as boomy as their dreads, but full and plenty of bass response. the seagull isn't bad, but tonewise i actually prefer their laminate b&s guitars to some of their SWS models. i don't find them at all similar to taylors, btw, but that may just be me.

you might want to try both guitars out. beside tone, you may prefer one neck over the other. in the case of neck, for me the seagull wins hands-down, but then the fat seagull 1.8" neck is my all time favorite. they're both pretty nice - i wouldn't turn either down if a guy showed up and my door and gave me one of them

or if you can't try 'em, buy the one you think you prefer somewhere with a great return/exchange policy and you can't go wrong.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:55 PM

Ty everyone for your opinions. I had my mind made-up to get a smaller finger style guitar, and the seagull folk SWS and the Artist folk fit the bill perfectly. And then this wider nut blue ridge came up for sale on the forums and I started to second guess my decision.

Is there anything similar to the seagull folks, in both price and quality that I should be considering?

Thanks for your help
Old 06-18-2010, 08:20 PM

I am very happy with a Recording King RO 127. It is all solid woods (spruce top, rosewood body) extremely well made, loud and beautiful tone.Wide neck. And it costs less than a solid wood Seagull (which is, by the way, a great brand too).
Another great alternative is an Epiphone Masterbilt EF 500, similar in shape to the OM Blueridge and Recording King.
Impeccable finish, great tone.
I own both the Epiphone and the Recording King, and also a beautiful Seagull Performer Folk cutaway high gloss with QI electronics.
The Seagull sounds great, especially the mid range, but it lacks a bit in the low end department. But its has laminate body (flame maple) therefore
the comparison is unfair (although this Seagull, due to the electronics, costs more than the Recording King and the Epiphone !).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion