The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2014, 05:54 AM

Default Taylor 314 vs Martin OM-28

I have a couple decent guitars now, but I'm looking to acquire one that could potentially serve as my last guitar. Granted, this is a bit idealistic, but I wanted to go ahead and put the financial burden behind me if I can.

I've played the Taylor 314 in local shops and I do love it. It feels like an exceptional instrument, and sounds exquisite as well. But I've been told to take a look at the Martin OM-28, and that it sounds even more amazing than the Taylor. Unfortunately, no one local carries the Martin.

Has anyone played both of these guitars whom can offer a fair comparison? The OM-28 is considerably more expensive, but I'd be willing to stretch my budget for it if it's a considerably better guitar.

I play mostly fingerstyle and am not looking to plug in. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:14 AM

Two completely different guitars. Martins signature sound is so different than Taylor. The Martin is also spruce/rosewood v the Taylor's spruce/sapele. Unless you can try the Martin I would personally stick with the Taylor as you have played it already. Though if you can afford a Martin OM-28 why don't you try some higher end models in the Taylor line the new 800 series are outstanding. I also wouldn't limited myself to just Taylor and Martin give a bunch of makers a try.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge View Post
Two completely different guitars. Martins signature sound is so different than Taylor. The Martin is also spruce/rosewood v the Taylor's spruce/sapele. Unless you can try the Martin I would personally stick with the Taylor is you have played it already. Though if you can afford a Martin OM-28 why don't you try some higher end models in the Taylor line the new 800 series are outstanding. I also wouldn't limited myself to just Taylor and Martin give a bunch of makers a try.
I've played the 414ce and 814ce at the local store. While I can say the sound is better than the 314, it's not so much that I'd pay the price difference. I also don't have any need for the cutaway/electronics. The OM-28 came as a recommendation to me after I mentioned that I didn't think the higher end Taylors were worth the price difference to my ear. But it could be the 314 will still be my best bet.

As for other makers, did you have any suggestions? I kind of wanted to stick with big brands in case I have problems. In my experience, small businesses are usually reluctant to make good on problems, or they can take a lot of hassle/time to get things squared away.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:30 AM

The 300 series are great. I love my 312ce, it's a gem of a guitar and I picked it over some higher end Taylor's. Not sure what your budget is but there is Larrivee, Gibson and smaller builders like Collings, Santa Cruz, Huss and Dalton. These smaller shops have good reputations and honor warranty's. But if the 314 feels right then stick with that.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:35 AM

I actually have both of those guitars. They are both great guitars but for fingerstyle playing, my OM-28v is clearly my favorite. I think this is because of the wider string spacing at the saddle but there is more room to work with, I find it easier to finger pick. It's a little lighter, too. I find the 314 easier to strum, play barr chords. They sound different, both good.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:37 AM

You should go out and play as many brands and guitar sizes and tonewoods as possible.

There are too many good guitars and variety of wood options and signature sounds to limit yourself off of one persons recommendation.

It takes patience and time to develop your ear and playing style to determine what will Work best for you.

Do you want a traditional fundamental tone? Do you want a more modern overtone rich guitar?
Do you want a quick decay or long sustaining notes? Do you prefer a balanced tone or go you like more trebles or midrange or bass?
What scale length do you prefer? What neck profile and nut width and string spacing?

There is just too much to consider and you haven't given us much to go on to be able to recommend one of these 2 specific guitars to you. All you can get at this point is which we would prefer. But that's not going to really help you out.

Personally , I wouldn't prefer either one , because neither would work for me.
Don't limit yourself to just 2 crayons in the box when you have 64 colors to choose from.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:40 AM

Just so happens I A/B'd my 314ce vs a brand new OM 28 yesterday. I walked in expecting the Martin to win but that's not how it worked out.

The was a fairly clear difference in tone but the om28 didn't blow the 314 away, it was just different. The Martin was brand new (arrived a week ago) and was actually fairly dull/muddy at first but warmed up after half an hour or so. My Taylor is well broken in so keep that in mind. As I went back and forth, each guitar has its pluses, the Taylor's playability and volume were superior. The Martin was so new I think it will be great once it opens up some more but it clearly has loads of potential. The longer I played it the better it got while the Taylor was like slipping on your favorite pair of jeans, so comfortable and familiar and just a joy to play.

From a size standpoint the Taylor is quite a bit bigger and I actually found the M36 (which i also tried out) to be more familiar/comfortable than the OM28 which was maybe, almost too small. That's one of the big things I have to decide on, there is a chance I may go the custom 0000 route as I don't care at all for the white binding on the fingerboard and strongly prefer and 1 3/4 nut.

In the end though there was no clear winner. Just as I was leaving they threw a wild card out, a sitka/rosewood Santa Cruz OM/PW that they had just taken in on trade. It is a 1999 and has been a professional musicians primary guitar so was a more than a little beat up. That said, it was also a very good price. I only had a minute (was on my lunch hour) so couldn't really give it a fair test but it definitely got my attention. I plan to go back and play them all again once they get it fully sorted out (had literally just taken it in and it needed some work before being ready to put on the floor).

Last thing, while I know it really shouldn't matter, the OM28 was just stunning visually. It looked like a brand new 100 year old guitar, the top toner and herringbone binding were simply gorgeous, as were the back and sides. Every time I would turn back to it I would catch my breath a little bit. Only the dead flat satin finish on the neck betrayed it as a brand new guitar.

Don't know if this is any help but can confidently say the Taylor more than held its own. I walked in expecting the Martin to be the clear winner but for round one at least it was a coin flip.

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
From a size standpoint the Taylor is quite a bit bigger and I actually found the M36 (which i also tried out) to be more familiar/comfortable than the OM28 which was maybe, almost too small.
I took at a look at the M36 on Martin's website, as I know Martin's M size is closer to Taylor's 14 size. But yeah, the 1 11/16 nut turned me off, too.

Plenty of factors to consider here.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Comparing OM28 and 314ce is like comparing an apple to Spaghetti. Absolutely no similarities between OM28 vs. 314ce except they both have strings, made of wood, and make noise.
The 314 and OM28 has different wood, body shape, body size, different bracing, different neck attachment, etc. basically different everything.

You must have a guitar center or some sort of bigger guitar store near. Try both and decide. I did exactly that. I am now settled to 414ce.

Enjoy the hunt!
Old 09-20-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post

You must have a guitar center or some sort of bigger guitar store near.
Yeah, I have at least 4 Guitar Centers within a reasonable distance from here. But none of them stock the OM-28. Strange, eh?
Old 09-20-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesStA View Post
I have a couple decent guitars now, but I'm looking to acquire one that could potentially serve as my last guitar. Granted, this is a bit idealistic, but I wanted to go ahead and put the financial burden behind me if I can.

I've played the Taylor 314 in local shops and I do love it. It feels like an exceptional instrument, and sounds exquisite as well. But I've been told to take a look at the Martin OM-28, and that it sounds even more amazing than the Taylor. Unfortunately, no one local carries the Martin.

Has anyone played both of these guitars whom can offer a fair comparison? The OM-28 is considerably more expensive, but I'd be willing to stretch my budget for it if it's a considerably better guitar.

The Martin OM-28 is a considerably better guitar. Let me tell you why with two examples which I have never raised in every Martin versus Taylor thread here on AGF:

1: I OWNED AN 814 for two weeks and bought it purely based on reputation. Because I have owned one single Taylor, I am qualified to make a judgment about their entire brand and all their models. I sold it as the tone just did not bond with me.

2: I have even once played a Taylor with Brazilian Rosewood from Bob's PERSONAL STASH. Because it is from Bob's personal stash, that makes it a big deal and I can likewise make a conclusion on their entire line. It did not come close to a D-28.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
Comparing OM28 and 314ce is like comparing an apple to Spaghetti. Absolutely no similarities between OM28 vs. 314ce except they both have strings, made of wood, and make noise.
The 314 and OM28 has different wood, body shape, body size, different bracing, different neck attachment, etc. basically different everything.
Here is why I'm comparing them. I want the best combination of value and versatility.

In a Taylor I believe that to be a 300 level GA, thus the 314.

In a Martin I consider an OM to be more versatile than a dread. Combine that with the fact I want an unbound, 1 3/4 neck without a v and that leads you to either an om21 or an om28. Of those two I prefer the om28.

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:15 AM

These guitars couldn't be much more different. Size, tone woods, tone.

Don't rush the search. Enjoy it. If you are looking for a "life-long friend" I think you are most likely to find it in person and not in a giant shipping box on your front door.

I bought a guitar online that was the most expensive I have ever owned. Highly recommended w/glowing reviews. I ain't got it no more. I'm not the only one that's gone down that road.

I agree with the "64 crayons in the box" sentiment stated earlier.

If you place limitations beforehand as what qualifies as your forever guitar I believe that you are doing yourself a disservice. My .02

Roy

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-20-2014, 09:57 AM

If I had the money, it would be this Taylor 714ce Blackheart Sassafras

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ_BDYhFieI
Old 09-20-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesStA View Post

If you've played the Taylor 314 and you love it than why worry about the OM-28? If you are curious as to what folks like about the Martin than try and find one, but don't order one based on what other folks think. The Taylor 314 is an incredibly versatile instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion