The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2014, 08:30 PM

That was great. He's really selfless.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
I think they're Matons. Made for him. Probably a little more care than the average one off the line, but why would you think it's not a Maton? Just curious as to how you got there.... Or am I missing something? Thanks
If they were Matons, why Aren't they more mainstream. Is Tommy the only one that knows about them, You never hear about them unless the artist is Australian ( For The Main Part, Of course there are exceptions ), Keith Urban, Tommy. It just seems to me, that IF they were superior to other brands, why aren't more artists using them ?

It just seems to me, a national pride issue, OR the main brands are not as special as many make them out to be.
If Martins, Taylors, Guilds are better, WHY aren't they using them ? If the aren't WHY isn't Tommy or Keith using better Guitars ? Just doesn't make sense.

Dan
Old 09-20-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
I think you have developed a conspiracy theory based on an impaired imagination. Sleep it off and lets see how you feel in the morning. .................Mike
Why would you insult me, when I was just asking a curious question./ Did I disrespect Maton ? Did I disrespect Tommy, or Keith, ? Then why would you insult me by saying sleep it off. How utterly rude, and childish.

Dan
Old 09-20-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFerret View Post
There are pics around from the 50's and 60's with the Emmanuel family using Maton electric and acoustic guitars. I think the association has been there for a long time.

As for the OPs question "why doesn't anyone else use them", there are PLENTY of other artists within Australia and internationally that use them...

From their artists page:

Tommy Emmanuel
Eric Johnson
Keith Urban
Josh Homme
John Butler
Paul Kelly
Colin Hay
Jeff Martin
Neil Finn
Michael Franti
Andrea Valeri
Diesel
Emma Louise
Shane Howard
Joe Robinson
Troy Brady - The Amity Aflliction
Vance Joy
Michael Fix
Keith Potger AO
Jesse “Devil"Hughes
Fiona Boyes
Joe Zhu
Adam Rafferty
McAlister Kemp
Adam Brand
Adam Harvey
Simon Hosford
John Williamson
8 Ball Aitken
Melinda Schneider
Amber Lawrence
Facey McStubblington – The Beards.
Aly Cook
Adam Stockdale
kulu
Nick Charles
I do not dispute that others use Maton guitars, Just they are not the first brand name that ANYONE thinks about except for maybe Tommy. How can you dispute that. It's not at the top of very many lists.
Dan
Old 09-20-2014, 09:00 PM

Yawn........
Old 09-20-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPanther View Post
I do not dispute that others use Maton guitars, Just they are not the first brand name that ANYONE thinks about except for maybe Tommy. How can you dispute that. It's not at the top of very many lists.
Dan
Really?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfRqtSBXpdw

Not sure what burr got under your saddle. A lot of people think highly of Maton and a lot of people think highly of other guitars that may not be at the top of your list.

And, there are people who hate Martin, Taylor and Collings. So what?

And so what if it were even true that it does not top a lot of people's A-list? It just means those who favor guitars that are not at the top of lists like yours have discriminating tastes that are different from yours and the people you follow.

Have a glass of wine and change the channel.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:08 PM

To be fair, Dan, you offer up a pretty subjective and conspiratorial hypothesis based on absolutely no empirical evidence. On top of this, you also explicitly ask for the opinions of other AGF members, which is what 00-28 did in his humorous response (after all, he added the wickedly sarcastic emoticon).

While Maton may not be the most popular guitar out there, it is a pretty long stretch to then suggest the Tommy has the custom shop folks secretly build his instruments to the specs of another brand.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 09-20-2014, 09:10 PM

I think you already kinda hit on this......plugged in, perhaps the brands you associate with "better" may not be all they are cracked up to be. His Maton serves him very well in front of an audience. I doubt he believes that it's inferior. Takamine doesn't top many player's lists, either, but plugged in it's the choice of tons of artists.

The possibility of them sticking a Maton label on something they didn't build? Close to zero.....he seems pretty giddy about their stuff.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:30 PM

John Williams uses Greg Smallman Guitars which are made in Australia
I guess Keep it in the circle
People that live in the USA like to buy stuff thats made in the USA
I guess Keep it in the circle
Old 09-20-2014, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I understand that he prefers Maton Guitars, and that they are made in Australia.
Now I have a couple issues with that.
Why would you "have issues" with that?

Quote:
...If indeed they are superior to other brands why doesn't anyone else use them....
That's a trick technique taught in litigation preparations where lawyers ask a question to veil that they are actually stating something. The respondent focuses on the question and thet statement is accepted fact.

Why do you claim "anyone else" doesn't use them?

Quote:
...Why would someone of his stature play an inferior guitar, if he can afford any guitar on the planet....
Again, you ask a question but pose a statement that they are inferior.

So, if I were to eschew all the trappings and tone of the questions, and distill it down to the core meaning of your post:

I would conclude that you find Maton guitars inferior and can't believe TE chooses to play them and this appears to you as objectionable patriotism.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-20-2014, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

double post

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-20-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Why would you "have issues" with that?

That's a trick technique taught in litigation preparations where lawyers ask a question to veil that they are actually stating something. The respondent focuses on the question and thet statement is accepted fact.

Why do you claim "anyone else" doesn't use them?It reallky should be obvious. The man is extremely talented. Yet he play a greaty brand guitar, but it is not as widespread in use, as his level of talent implies it should.

Again, you ask a question but pose a statement that they are inferior.

So, if I were to eschew all the trappings and tone of the questions, and distill it down to the core meaning of your post:

I would conclude that you find Maton guitars inferior and can't believe TE chooses to play them and this appears to you as objectionable patriotism.
Unfortunately, I am not a lawyer, but you also are using a common technique ,over analyzing my question.
Gheez don't make more out of this than was intended. I CLEARLY SAID I WANTED SOME QUESTION ANSWERED THAT I DID NOT UNDERSTAND.
Your conclusions counselor are wrong.
His level of expertise would lead me to THINK MORE top players would be using Maton guitars, and that MORE average players would be using them. I do not understand why you would not see the odd aspect of the issue.

Dan
Old 09-20-2014, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If they were Matons, why Aren't they more mainstream. Is Tommy the only one that knows about them, You never hear about them unless the artist is Australian ( For The Main Part, Of course there are exceptions ), Keith Urban, Tommy. It just seems to me, that IF they were superior to other brands, why aren't more artists using them ?

It just seems to me, a national pride issue, OR the main brands are not as special as many make them out to be.
If Martins, Taylors, Guilds are better, WHY aren't they using them ? If the aren't WHY isn't Tommy or Keith using better Guitars ? Just doesn't make sense.

Dan
Maybe they just like them.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

I have played one of Tommy's spare guitar in Melbourne Maton factory. It is a different beast of guitar as they are from the custom shop. Very good sounding guitar and is comparable to likes of Collings, Santa Cruz in quality etc. sound nothing like them though and still very Maton like character.

So in short, i think most try to associate the factory produced Matons to Tommy and sometimes do not understand his choice. I would summarise;

Guitar is custom shop - very high quality
Reputation of maton pickup system
First big break with maton and patriotism australian made
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 09-20-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:

Dan
This simplistic answer to this is $$$. For many many decades, and even now, American made guitars have been on average twice as expensive to buy here than in the US. That means that Martin & Gibson entry level guitars were usually more expensive that the top line Maton guitars.

Most locals probably bought Maton because it was the only 'proper' guitar they could afford, and they stuck to the brand.

I always remember years ago my driving instructor telling me that she got her Mazda that she used to teach her students on really cheaply - almost at cost price. Mazda Australia recognised that if students learned to drive in a particular brand of car, they would automatically lean towards buying the same brand car when they got their licence and were looking to get their own car. It is a simple matter of familiarity and brand loyalty.
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion