The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2014, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

This thread appears to be the latest installment in the long running topic of "my cheep guitar sounds just as good as your expensive guitar" and it's many variations.

I found this comment back on the first page to be rather insulting and without any real foundation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grim83 View Post
...people try to buy expensive guitars to fix their own problems...
According to grim83, if your guitar cost more than $1000 you should have spent the money on psychoanalysis instead of on an instrument. Really?

The reverse snobbery displayed here is obvious. Sure glad I can't afford the Goodall classical I've been admiring at a local guitar store. What a horrible person that would make me.

Dave
Old 09-20-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
This thread appears to be the latest installment in the long running topic of "my cheep guitar sounds just as good as your expensive guitar" and it's many variations.

I found this comment back on the first page to be rather insulting and without any real foundation. According to grim83, if your guitar cost more than $1000 you should have spent the money on psychoanalysis instead of on an instrument. Really?

The reverse snobbery displayed here is obvious. Sure glad I can't afford the Goodall classical I've been admiring at a local guitar store. What a horrible person that would make me.

Dave
Not so. So far only the person you mentioned has made anything like a hint at a disparaging remark. And so what if someone's cheap guitar sounds as good, or better, than something you paid four figures for? A great guitar and money saved? Sounds like a win/win to me
Old 09-20-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:

I found this comment back on the first page to be rather insulting and without any real foundation. According to grim83, if your guitar cost more than $1000 you should have spent the money on psychoanalysis instead of on an instrument. Really?

Dave
That is not how I personally have viewed this thread. I think it has been a very measured and balanced discussion around the original question from the OP.
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal
Old 09-20-2014, 08:22 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
This is how I see it:

If your passion is music, you really don't need the world's most costly and exotic instrument to pursue your passion.

If your passion is guitars, you might be in for a very expensive ride.
Then there are those of us who have a passion for both and don't fit such dichotomies.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Then there are those of us who have a passion for both and don't fit such dichotomies.
I didn't mean to imply that a passion for music and a passion for guitars are mutually exclusive. Obviously, someone who has a passion for making music will want a really good instrument. I do believe that many of those who buy very high-end, custom built, or rare historic instruments have a great interest in the objects themselves above and beyond their capacity to make good music . . . and wind up spending a lot of money to obtain them.

I agree with other posters that there can be snobbery amongst those who own nice guitars and reverse-snobbery with those who have cheap ones. I own a thousand-dollar Larrivee and a $10 thrift store special so I get to have it both ways.

Last edited by Big_Al; 09-20-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:44 AM

Talking

"It seems like these are the best times ever to play less expensive instruments, sort of a Golden Age. I'm grateful for that"

Without a doubt! Just watched a short video of Eric Bibb playing a blues tune on a Gretsch "Jim Dandy"................
Old 09-20-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Dave
I said some not all and said more then once that a nice guitar is nice regardless of the price, if it's a nice 5000 dollar guitar cool but it won't make the player. Please do not take what I say out of context and try to twist it to your own ends

Last edited by grim83; 09-20-2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: a little rude on my part
Old 09-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Wood quality has more to do with aesthetics than sound so in a sense is bling.
I disagree. Carefully selected and precisely cut solid wood that has been properly dried and aged contributes greatly to sound, regardless of its appearance. It often happens, however, that it also looks good.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:17 AM

Default Cheap

'check out guitar George' when you play on stage and your instrument is set up well people can not tell the difference between a 399 dollar instrument and a 2000 dollar instrument. my latest is a maestro double neck bass and six. true I will have anther 300 put into it getting it set up for what I want. that is mostly feel etc. if the necks bow ill just replace them. same with my acoustics usually by the time my tech gets through I love them. I used to be a snob only playing 1000+ instruments but I bought a cort bass for 300 dollars just to carry around and not have to worry about ruining a 2000 dollar bass...it is today one of my favorite basses and the neck is still straight and true. so I am actually thinking about buying a maestro harp guitar.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:26 AM

My two favorite hobbies are fly fishing and making noise with my guitar. I see alot of similarities between both pursuits.

I'll say up front, I care less what other folks decide to play or fish, and even less than that regarding what folks think about what I use when I fish and play guitar.

What does bother me a little bit is the advice I see when folks who are interested in getting started ask for some help. I'll use fly fishing as the example, often times the advice given is - Go big, or stay home. Folks will advise the beginner to drop maybe $750 upwards to $1500 to someone interested in trying their hand at catching a few bluegills in their local pond.

That may be good advice for a few folks, but most would be just as well advised to spend $100 on a entry level combo. That would be even more important from my perspective if it meant the person would put off going fishing because they couldn't afford the high end stuff.

I think the same applies to making music. Buy what you can afford, but don't put off playing just because you can't afford a top end instrument.

From my perspective, there are a number of maybe not great, but good playing and sounding instruments that are well within reach of anyone who might be interested in giving playing music a try.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:36 AM

if someone owns a 20,000 dollar guitar is he/she justified in calling 5,000 dollar guitars "entry" level instruments?

what is an entry level instrument? I've seen guitars over 1,000 dollars on this board called entry level.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
.....Indeed.....

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:51 AM

I've been playing since 1964 and make absolutely no apologies for the guitars I've owned over the years. I started with a fairly good guitar...my Dad bought me a new Gibson LG0 for the then princely sum (to us) of $124. In my younger days I owned a series of inexpensive guitars...some nice, some pretty bad. I bought what I could afford.

After I turned 50 I found I could afford some pretty nice guitars. When I found ones I liked and I had the money for them, I bought them. I didn't buy them to hold them up to other people or because they were the guitar to own or to spend money for spending moneys sake...I bought them because I liked the way they played and sounded and looked...and I could afford them.

I own almost all Taylors now but have owned Yamahas, Gibsons, Larrivees, Rainsongs, CAs, Takeminis, Epiphones, Nationals, and others over the years. I've pretty much settled on Taylor as having the sound and playability I like...and at 63 I figure I'm old enough to know what I like.

I understand someone not wanting or being able to afford more than one guitar or guitars over a certain price point. I've been there. But now I like what I have and, when I want, get what I like.

It's my life, my money, my guitar playing. It's what makes me happy.

And my wife goes along with it.

YMMV.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:55 AM

I don't prefer to play expensive guitars. I prefer to play the best guitars I can afford. I haven't found those in the under $1000 price range. If I had, I would have purchased them.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 09-20-2014, 11:03 AM

Default he knows all the chords

"A old guitar is all he can afford but he gets up and makes it sing"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion