The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2014, 12:26 PM

Default Cheap Guitars as a Lifestyle

I've only been here a short time but can tell there are lots of owners of high-end guitars here. And that's great. But I'm wondering about the folks who have always played cheaper gear and are ok with it.

Me? The most I've ever paid for a guitar was $600, my Larrivee (used). I have just never ventured into the $1000+ category. Haven't really had a reason to. I have a close friend who is a great player and has never paid much for a guitar either.

It seems like these are the best times ever to play less expensive instruments, sort of a Golden Age. I'm grateful for that.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:28 PM

Some people like to drive Toyota tercels and some Lexus. Both will get you there but one is more refined. To each his own.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:35 PM

Some of the greatest music ever made was made on old Stellas and other makes that would be considered beneath many modern guitar player's standards. It's the skier not the ski, the fly fisherman not the fly rod, and the guitarist not the guitar that crafts the music in the end. You can write a great song just in your head for that matter
Old 09-19-2014, 12:57 PM

I owned nothing worth more than $350 from 1969 to 2013.

I enjoyed buying them at will, doing setups, getting the most out of them.

Then I decided that I wasn't getting any younger and that I ought to have a couple nice, not cork-sniffer but good quality guitars. So, one led to four nice guitars.

I sold off several old ones, keeping four or so that I really liked.

Can I tell the difference between my old <$350 guitars and the J45, D18, D35 and D15m? Heck yes.

Lower cost guitars can make fine music, but I am very happy with my current stable.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 09-19-2014, 01:15 PM

I love ALL guitars.
I have a $50 Craigslist Stella and a couple of killer old Gibsons and a bunch of others and I love them all.
1967 Guild D-50 (Hoboken, NJ)
1975 Guild D-25 M (Westerly, RI)
2001 Tacoma DM9 (Tacoma, WA)
2003 Martin D-18GE (Nazareth, PA
)

"Oh, What a life a mess can be!" - Uncle Tupelo
Old 09-19-2014, 01:15 PM

Having owned guitars up to about $1500 range, and my current most expensive guitar is my Harmony archtop at pricely sum of $225 I can relate. Higher end instruments have nuances a lesser instrument lacks but it does not prevent one to play and enjoy making music. I am perfectly content with what I own at present time. Play music.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:41 PM

I play the best thing I can afford.

I think most of us have that in common.

From Yamaha to McPherson - it's all good.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-19-2014, 03:02 PM

I just bought the first guitar I've ever owned that cost more than $600, the Taylor in my sig. I love it...

But I still really love the idea of inexpensive guitars. I may be an anti-snob but in many of the places I play it's the guys with the beaters etc who tend to know how to play... or at least who are creative people writing interesting music. I know, probably wrong but...

It reminds me of another situation... I play hockey, and it's like playing against a goalie with new pads... you adjust your expectations, thinking he's a newbie or not very experienced. Many times you're right.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 09-19-2014, 03:13 PM

Nice guitars are nice end of discussion, but it's not the guitar in your hands it's your hands on the guitar. Put a bad driver in a stock car and he'll crash just as quick (well quicker probably) as a beater, put Tony Stewart in a Crap car and it's still Tony driving. Same can be said for guitars hand Tommy Emmanuel a rogue and he'll still be Tommy Emmanuel the guitar doesn't make him sound like himself he makes himself sound like himself. Get the tool to do the job and then let the rest go. I play a 50 dollar Yamaha I'll upgrade soon to a 400 dollar rk only because it fits my needs better. If you like a guitar and can afford it who cares what it says on the head stock, the name won't make music.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:22 PM

I agree that it's the player and not the guitar, but some guitars really do sound better than others. My Larrivee plays and sounds great, but I've picked up guitars that just have character that it lacks. I don't completely understand what makes the difference[s]: time taken in building, materials, etc.?
Old 09-19-2014, 03:29 PM

Value is what is important to me. I have great gear, but I got it all for bargain basement prices.

I love used gear.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 09-19-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I agree that it's the player and not the guitar, but some guitars really do sound better than others. My Larrivee plays and sounds great, but I've picked up guitars that just have character that it lacks. I don't completely understand what makes the difference[s]: time taken in building, materials, etc.?
Notice my first statement "a nice guitar is a nice guitar end of discussion" so nothing I said should be taken as anti nice guitars. Any who many things go into what makes a guitar better than the next the wood the bracing the glue instruments are artwork of minutiae every detail can will and does change the outcome. I always look for a guitar to have special character and mojo if you will. My biggest reservation is that people try to buy expensive guitars to fix their own problems and it doesn't work like that a great guitarist is a great guitarist regardless of what is in his hands.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
...It seems like these are the best times ever to play less expensive instruments, sort of a Golden Age. I'm grateful for that.
So am I; here's a thread you might find of interest:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=296802
Old 09-19-2014, 04:07 PM

I enjoy my bargain guitars quite a bit, to be honest. I like having something that sounds pretty good and I don't mind taking wherever I care to go.

On the other hand, I've played some really nice boutique guitars now and I can really appreciate the difference in quality. There's a liveliness and responsiveness that the mass produced ones seem to lack.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 09-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Guest 235664

I'm not braggin, but all I've got is a Hog GS Mini and an old Yamaha FG700. I play out a lot, singalongs, whatever, indoors, outdoors. If they get scratched, beat up, mo betta.. I'm going for the Willie effect..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion