The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-17-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
As an extension to my other thread (414CE too big) how does Larrivee LV-05 compare tonally, playability and in size? .
Taylor's X14 body is an almost exact copy of Larrivee's L body. (Jean and Bob have been friends for decades) I think the L is slightly deeper actually.

If the 414 was "too big" the LV will also be too big.

Tonally the Larrivee will be fuller sounding with more bass response. I find the Larrivee necks more comfortable than Taylor necks, but that is definitely a YMMV sort of thing.

I concur with the recommendation earlier to look for a Larrivee OM. An OM-04 would be a good place to start looking.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

I have owned: L03, LV03, L05, LV05, L09, LV09, etc.

Great sounding guitars but ugly. Yup I said it. It's ugly. Playability although good is nowhere near Taylor.

As others already said, If you think 414ce is too big, L body is not going to work. If you like everything about 414ce but size, look at 412ce.

Last edited by SKYHIGH; 09-17-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
I have owned: L03, LV03, L05, LV05, L09, LV09, etc.

Great sounding guitars but ugly. Yup I said it. It's ugly. Playability although good is nowhere near Taylor.

As others already said, If you think 414ce is too big, L body is not going to work. If you like everything about 414ce but size, look at 412ce.
Setup - as one should get on any high end new guitar. I think the myth of superior playability in Taylor is not true and favors strummers who just like very low action. Builders like Larrivee and Martin understand the spectrum of preferences and set their factory standards accordingly. Note I am not bashing - I am a proud Taylor 714 owner.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalowdwn1 View Post
Setup - as one should get on any high end new guitar. I think the myth of superior playability in Taylor is not true and favors strummers who just like very low action. Builders like Larrivee and Martin understand the spectrum of preferences and set their factory standards accordingly. Note I am not bashing - I am a proud Taylor 714 owner.
I think that's a good assessment. I've never griped about factory set ups because I think a new guitar should be set up for the player. Every player has different preferences, plays different strings, uses different picks, fingers, attack, etc. I've never played a new guitar at any price range that had an ideal set up for me. It makes sense for Taylor to use low action since most people don't bother to take that important step of setting it up, but I don't consider that to make it superior or be an inherently more playable instrument. Larrivees always need to be adjusted because their saddles are high but once adjusted, they can have wonderfully low action with minimal buzz. Their necks are extremely well made and true.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:25 AM

As I noted above, I ended up buying a Taylor GS Mini Limited Edition because, well, for the money it fits the bill rather well.

The GC sales rep informed me that LV-05 was practically the same size as 414CE so that was that. Locally, I tried out a beautiful used LV-09 with a Koa back which is smaller than the 414CE. I negotiated the price down, but the dealer would not go down slightly more to where I thought was reasonable. Anyway, what I noticed about Larrivee was that the overall playing feel was on the stiffer side and the overall tone, while very balanced and pleasant, was not as dispersed or articulate as 414CE. Still, I really liked its focus on the mids, especially.

Last edited by enigma; 09-18-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
As I noted above, I ended up buying a Taylor GS Mini Limited Edition because, well, for the money it fits the bill rather well.

The GC sales rep informed me that LV-05 was practically the same size as 414CE so that was that. Locally, I tried out a beautiful used LV-09 with a Koa back which is smaller than the 414CE. I negotiated the price down, but the dealer would not go down slightly more to where I thought was reasonable. Anyway, what I noticed about Larrivee was that the overall playing feel was on the stiffer side and the overall tone, while very balanced and pleasant, was not as dispersed or articulate as 414CE. Still, I really liked its focus on the mids, especially.
Lv09 is identical size the Lv09. Again, if you like the tone of 414, try 412.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
YMMV. I have owned countless Larrivees and Taylors and I could never get the Larrivee to play as easy as Taylor. I even had Frank Ford do a set up on the Larrivee.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Strummers like low action?

In the video, the Larrivee sounded better fingerpicked, I liked the Taylor better with the plectrum.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-18-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Just played both and the LV-03e did feel a bit larger in the lap but not enough to worry about. Tonally the Larrivee L favors the low end while the Taylor has cleaner highs. Here is the video Tevis recorded, hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsrqDLG6rTs

That video reminded me that I actually do like Taylors.

I prefer the Larry, still. But the last couple of Taylors I've played have been 214s, and to me all the mexi-Taylors come across as paper thin, tonally.

But you get up to the 314s and the 414s and then you actually have something.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
YMMV. I have owned countless Larrivees and Taylors and I could never get the Larrivee to play as easy as Taylor. I even had Frank Ford do a set up on the Larrivee.
My Larrivee played like a dream and had the best intonation of any guitar I have owned. Just not my cup of tea sonically and neck-wise. Perhaps part of the ease of play has to do with the shape of the fingerboard? Larrivee radius felt pretty flat to me.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-18-2014, 10:22 AM

I thought they both sounded wonderful. I prefer the larrivee but a Taylor my be in my future.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:24 PM

The flatter fretboard radius on a Larrivee, and the different neck shape will make it feel different than a Taylor, even if they are both set up to the same string height measurements. Personally, I think that Taylor guitars have the most comfortable necks of any guitars I've played. That said, I've owned three Larrivee guitars and when set-up to my liking, they played very easily. The difference in feel is not huge.

I mostly play a Larrivee L and the guy who plays next to me in our choir plays a Taylor 414CE, so I've heard them side by side many times. I'd say they sound equally good . . . different, but both are very nice guitars. I prefer the Larrivee sound for what and how I play, but can certainly understand why someone else might prefer the Taylor.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Just played both and the LV-03e did feel a bit larger in the lap but not enough to worry about. Tonally the Larrivee L favors the low end while the Taylor has cleaner highs. Here is the video Tevis recorded, hope it helps.
The Taylor knocked me out. My 314ce doesn't sound as nice as that 414. If I hadn't looked I would have thought it was Taylor, but a rosewood for sure.

KLEPPER Guitars - Custom build
12-fret, 15" "SSD". 24.9"scale

Guild 1964 M20
Eastman e20 00
Baby Taylor (99)
Alvarez Yairi DY60 - 1995
Ibanez SR600 Walnut electric bass & amp.
Ultrasonic AG-15 acoustic amp
Old 09-18-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I'm short for a human being (5'6") and find the GA size FAR more comfortable than an L. I had one for 7 months and never bonded with it.

Despite the narrow waist, the body of the L is longer than a GA (pretty sure anyways). I play seated and the lower bout of the L pushed hard into my upper arm - leaving a HUGE dent in it for quite a while after.
I'm almost 6' 1" but I had the same experience with the L body and my right arm. I find the L body a bit less comfortable than a GA. I like dreads, so I wouldn't complain either way.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseliot View Post
I'm almost 6' 1" but I had the same experience with the L body and my right arm. I find the L body a bit less comfortable than a GA. I like dreads, so I wouldn't complain either way.
A number of years ago I was having problems with pain in my (left) fretting wrist. I found that by placing the guitar over my left leg and elevating the neck, much as a classical player would do, my wrist was in a more natural position and the pain went away. A side benefit is that it also puts the guitar in a much more comfortable position for my right arm without the lower bout almost tucked under my right armpit. I can even play big jumbos without an uncomfortable reach. When I play standing, I also elevate the neck at about a 45 degree angle. I don't look like a rock star, but it makes a huge difference ergonomically, difficult fingerings are easier, and I play more cleanly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion