The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2014, 12:28 AM

Here's what I found out after posting about the sale a couple days ago...on Tuesday I started a "chat" with Guitar Center on their website and asked about this Yamaha guitar listed for sale in the flyer below:

listed in this Guitar Center flyer available in stores:

The one in the ad says Yamaha FG-710S. Since I had never heard, seen and wasn't able to find any info online about it I asked them what the difference was between the 710S and the 700S. The told me they couldn't find the 710S in their system and that it must be a "typo" because they said the 700S lists for $322 which is what the 710S in the add says it lists for. They told me the 700S should sell for $149 and to contact my local store since this was in the flyer. So today I wandered into a Guitar Center in Michigan and I'm playing the 700S and a salesmen walks over and says "nice guitar, but we have one just as nice on sale for less". The ticket on the 700S said $199. Low and behold he comes back with a FG-710S and says "these just arrived and we haven't had time to get them out on the floor yet"...on sale for $149, but with a list price of $398? That doesn't match the ad? The salesmen and I both looked over the guitars and the only difference either one of us could spot was the 710S had a few more fretboard markers and it didn't have the headstock inlay that the 700S had...you can vaguely see them in the picture above. Both looked like solid spruce over nato back and sides, rosewood fretboard and bridge, tortoise colored pickguard and sealed chrome turners.

So I think depending on what your local Guitar Center has in stock you should be able to get either the 700S or 710S for $149. Both sounded nearly identical to me today...now the 730S is a different story! Nice guitars for the price all the way around.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper76 View Post
The only thing I would caution is check the neck angle. I have seen a few with neck angle issues including the one I ordered online.
Yes, in my long experience with Yamaha I have come across insufficient neck/body angles several times, including my FG750S which I bought used in otherwise mint and virtually unplayed condition-I knew the owner well. I had to ramp the pin holes in order to reduce the action.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain DeLay View Post
Here's what I found out after posting about the sale a couple days ago...on Tuesday I started a "chat" with Guitar Center on their website and asked about this Yamaha guitar listed for sale in the flyer below:

The one in the ad says Yamaha FG-710S. Since I had never heard, seen and wasn't able to find any info online about it I asked them what the difference was between the 710S and the 700S. The told me they couldn't find the 710S in their system and that it must be a "typo" because they said the 700S lists for $322 which is what the 710S in the add says it lists for. They told me the 700S should sell for $149 and to contact my local store since this was in the flyer. So today I wandered into a Guitar Center in Michigan and I'm playing the 700S and a salesmen walks over and says "nice guitar, but we have one just as nice on sale for less". The ticket on the 700S said $199. Low and behold he comes back with a FG-710S and says "these just arrived and we haven't had time to get them out on the floor yet"...on sale for $149, but with a list price of $398? That doesn't match the ad? The salesmen and I both looked over the guitars and the only difference either one of us could spot was the 710S had a few more fretboard markers and it didn't have the headstock inlay that the 700S had...you can vaguely see them in the picture above. Both looked like solid spruce over nato back and sides, rosewood fretboard and bridge, tortoise colored pickguard and sealed chrome turners.

So I think depending on what your local Guitar Center has in stock you should be able to get either the 700S or 710S for $149. Both sounded nearly identical to me today...now the 730S is a different story! Nice guitars for the price all the way around.
That's interesting; I've never seen this model either. The fret markers follow the pattern of the LL/LS/LJ 6 with the addition of the large dot at 12, but the rest of the guitar looks more and more like the old FG180. I wonder if the 700 are being phased out. It also appears that the 750S has been dropped in favour of the new 740S as the new flagship FG model; perhaps the range is being revamped-yet again!
Old 09-18-2014, 04:22 AM

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark methinks?

Curious to know the outcome of this one!!!
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal
Old 09-18-2014, 05:27 AM

Looks like the FG700MS has been dropped also. Doesn't appear on the Yamaha USA website. I'm guessing that GC may have got hold of a batch of FGs not previously meant for export to the US. I recall some years ago a similar situation where a UK retailer got a bunch of Gibson Les Paul Juniors usually only available for the Japanese market.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:15 AM
Dan - Charter Member

I looked on the Yamaha Japan site, and there is no FG710S there. However, the Yamaha sites often lag what's in the stores.

Hint about navigating the Yamaha Japanese site: I can read only two or three kanji. But if you hover over the links on the pages, you'll see that the link URL's are largely in English, so you can figure out where they go. And you could always use Google Translate too.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
Must be a lot of inconsistency between stores. I called two different stores today and was told there was no sale, just a financing deal. I wonder if it is regional, based on how much stock in the local DC's they might have. Or, perhaps the word is not fully out to every location. I'll keep checking.
Boy what a mess. All I can tell you is I bought a brand new Yamaha FG-700S last Monday for $149.99 at the Arlington, Texas Guitar Center. I went through 4 guitars before I found the one I thought was the one I wanted.

I was told on Sunday that the guitar was going on sale for 149.99 on Wednesday but that if I wanted one they would honor the sale on Monday so I bought one that Monday.

Too bad for all the confusion because my GC could not have been more helpful.
djh

Last edited by djh1765; 09-18-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:06 AM

Cool Yamaha FG-700S guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny64 View Post
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark methinks?
I've seen this before, they advertise a model they don't have in stock to bring in customers, and they end up buying a model they do have in stock. It's call "Bait & Switch"!!! Or, they say the MSRP, which would include a case, then the sale price does not include the case.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 09-18-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
I've seen this before, they advertise a model they don't have in stock to bring in customers, and they end up buying a model they do have in stock. It's call "Bait & Switch"!!! Or, they say the MSRP, which would include a case, then the sale price does not include the case.

Glen
Cheers for that Glen.

High pressurized steam is coming out my ears.
So does the 710 exist somewhere?
D45 Replica in open D
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
Old 09-18-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny64 View Post

So does the 710 exist somewhere?
Yep, I played one at the Guitar Center in Portage, Michigan. Felt and sounded exactly like the 700S to me, but said FG-710S on the label in the soundhole.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Yep, I played one at the Guitar Center in Portage, Michigan. Felt and sounded exactly like the 700S to me, but said FG-710S on the label in the soundhole.
Well I never. Thanks for the update. It will all come out in the wash as they say.
D45 Replica in open D
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
Old 09-20-2014, 06:45 PM

I went to GC today to have a look for myself and they had two FG710's on the floor. I played them both, they sounded and played great. I could not tell the difference between the two. Nice little guitar for the money. A customer picked one up as well and sat beside me playing it. We talked about them for a minute and he was going to get the FG700. Meanwhile the salesman came over and said I have one left in the box, so I said I will take it. He returned moments later and this one had the best playability of the three. Perfect set up for me, needs nothing. The customer and the salesman were not aware of the sale and when I said they were $149 the salesman said you cannot buy that guitar for $149 that would be selling them at cost. He left for a minute to get the manager and they both returned and said they were not aware of any sale. At this time a few customers were standing around trying them out so, making small talk and that is when I broke out the ad showing the customers and the manager. He honored the sale price. Long story short I got mine and the two customers bought the floor models. The manager was cool about it and since I helped him sell two guitars in 10 minutes he gave me a set of strings of my choice on the house, pretty cool. I got a set of Elixir med. PB going on in the morning with a cup of coffee.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:19 PM

Default I bought one on the 18th

So, I wanted this guitar. I did go in to play it first, and liked it. I think I liked it better than the Seagull I messed with, too. Anyway, I had emailed back and forth with the sales manager and she said there wasn't a sale on this guitar. I did not have an ad or anything. But, she offered me $15 off. As far as I was concerned, this guitar was already reasonably priced at $199. The reviews everywhere sing the praises of it and hardly any one has anything bad to say about it. So, I was practically sold on it before I walked in. Playing it sealed the deal.

So, I went in, played it a bit, told the salesman I wanted it. He looked for another in a box. The floor model looked to be in perfect shape. The strings were bright, the action better than my Epiphone, not by a lot, but I found it easier to play and it sounded brighter, fuller, richer. There were no scuffs or dings. So, we rang it up with a set of EJ16s for when I get tired of the stock strings.

It's beautiful. I love it. I am struck by how resonant and beautiful it sounds. It makes me want to play it. I didn't get a ridiculous deal on it, liked I'd hoped. I could have waited for the used one that had just come in, but I didn't want to wait a month. I brought it home, played it some more, and the next day too. Today I had my first official in person lesson at the neighborhood center.

And, I'm happy. It's a good guitar.

As to these posts about the sales, I think that, unless people are spinning fanciful tales, that there are regional differences in Guitar Centers. Here in Southern California, there is not a sale on them.

Last edited by glennonrp; 09-20-2014 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 09-21-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:

Here you go. Its at all GC .
Old 09-21-2014, 01:02 AM

I see the flyer. I read the other replies. However, I didn't have that flyer. I was there. There was no FG710s hanging on the wall.

Like I said, I spoke to the sales manager. I spoke to a sales associate. Are they really either that misinformed or prone to lying to customers about sales and promotions? It's not on the website, either, nor is that model of guitar.

But, that's great for whoever gets that deal, I guess.
Monoprice "California Classic" strat copy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion