The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-14-2014, 04:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyDog6 View Post
What about the 730 do you like over the 700?

With a street price 50% higher, I'm just curious as I've never been able to A/B them.
Fluffy, I'll be frank. As I recall, I just liked the cosmetics a whole lot better. I don't imagine they sound that much different. You could just look at pics online.

As I remember it, The 730 has a herringbone trim, I think. This is the cosmetic step-up, I believe, in the Martin line (which Yamaha mimics) from the D-28 to the HD-28. I own an HD-28, so my bias is showing. The HD-28 also has scalloped bracing and other niceties, but I just like the look of the 730 over the 700 and can afford the difference. I believe the 730 also has solid back and sides vs nato, but I could be wrong. Check the specs.

Both wonderful guitars for the money. I played both of them a couple weeks ago at the local GC.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:34 PM

Well I did it. Went over to Guitar Center this morning went through 4 different 700's before I found the one I felt was for me.

Had it set-up by their Tech and was out the door for $180.00 even money.

To me that is an excellent buy and I will tell you I like the tone better on this guitar then my 1997 Yamaha FG-365S. The FG-365S was top of the line along with the FG-375S back in 1997.

Thanks to all of you for your impute as that is what made me decide to get this 700.

I appreciate your help.
djh
Old 09-15-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
I believe the 730 also has solid back and sides vs nato, but I could be wrong. Check the specs.
Apologies but this is incorrect, both the 700 and the 730 are laminate back and sides only differing by the veneer used. The 700 has a cheaper Nato veneer, whereas the 730 uses a more expensive Rosewood veneer. Both guitars have solid Sitka Spruce tops though. Great guitars otherwise.

I'm real curious to hear what the FGX730SC sounds like plugged in. This is the 730 model with a cutaway and their A.R.T. 1way Pickup System (System56CB). I bought the NTX700 (nylon hybrid) and the A.R.T. system in it was simply amazing. I have been very impressed. Yamaha developed a soundboard transducer design similar to the K&K pure mini, but supposedly found a way to produce a much better sound by controlling the heavy bass and mid range frequencies that are inherently present as a result of the type of technology.

If anyone has the FGX730SC model, I'd love to hear your thoughts, especially if you have a guitar with the K&K pure mini and can compare it.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
Fluffy, I'll be frank. As I recall, I just liked the cosmetics a whole lot better. I don't imagine they sound that much different. You could just look at pics online.

As I remember it, The 730 has a herringbone trim, I think. This is the cosmetic step-up, I believe, in the Martin line (which Yamaha mimics) from the D-28 to the HD-28. I own an HD-28, so my bias is showing. The HD-28 also has scalloped bracing and other niceties, but I just like the look of the 730 over the 700 and can afford the difference. I believe the 730 also has solid back and sides vs nato, but I could be wrong. Check the specs.

Both wonderful guitars for the money. I played both of them a couple weeks ago at the local GC.
The big cosmetic difference between the two is that the 730 has a bound fingerboard and headstock, and cream for the body binding. The is also an "abalone" ring in the rosette. There's no herringbone. The back and sides are laminate in both, RW for the 730.

The body size differs from any Martin dread. Yamaha's website list the 700 series guitars as "jumbo's." That because of the wider lower body bout. A Yamaha won't fit into a Martin dread case. Back in the lawsuit days, I could see where Yamaha mimicked some of the Martin line. Nowadays I see none of that.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:24 PM

Default Yamaha FG-700S Guitar

Really nice guitar, you made a great choice! I hate that Yamaha discontinued the FG750s. I have one and will never part with it.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:13 PM

Cool Yamaha FG-700S guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin00028EC View Post
In my opinion, it's the best value-for-money beginners guitar out there.
I totally agree, but check out the 730 as well.

I have a Yamaha FG-375S and after playing it for 30 years, I still own it and it sounds even better now, than the day it followed me home!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 09-15-2014, 11:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for everyone correcting me. No big deal. I was on the run and didn't have time to check specs or look at pictures.

Congrats! That's a heckuva guitar for $180!
Old 09-16-2014, 05:48 AM

I had an FS700S, which I believe the only difference being it was a GA body style vs. the dread body style of the FG700S. I didn't like it too much. It wasn't the worst guitar I ever played, but it didn't feel very good to me and I didn't like how it sounded. I sold it to my local GC for $45 because no one on Craigslist would buy it.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenHairlessCats View Post
I had an FS700S, which I believe the only difference being it was a GA body style vs. the dread body style of the FG700S. I didn't like it too much. It wasn't the worst guitar I ever played, but it didn't feel very good to me and I didn't like how it sounded. I sold it to my local GC for $45 because no one on Craigslist would buy it.
You may have had a "bad" one. I played a FS700S and if someone offered me one that played and sounded like that one for $45 I would have grabbed it!

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 09-16-2014, 06:51 AM

[QUOTE=bluzuner;4134015]The body size differs from any Martin dread. Yamaha's website list the 700 series guitars as "jumbo's." That because of the wider lower body bout. A Yamaha won't fit into a Martin dread case. QUOTE]

Boy you almost blew my mind. I could just see myself having to buy a new case but I pulled out my Martin case and this Yamaha FG-700S is a perfact fit in it.

Got me too thinking anyway.

Thanks,

djh
Old 09-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

I am looking at the FS700 S for a friend. Any idea if the sale mentioned starting tomorrow will cover that model also, or just the Dread version? I called my local GC last night and they had no clue about the sale coming up.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:11 AM

The yamahas are the best deal going under 200 in my opinion between the fd01s the fg650 and the fg/fs700 you've got some decent guitars for not a lot of cash (the fg650 seems to be the same as the 700 with a more taylorish neck)
Old 09-16-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
I am looking at the FS700 S for a friend. Any idea if the sale mentioned starting tomorrow will cover that model also, or just the Dread version? I called my local GC last night and they had no clue about the sale coming up.
Not sure about the FS model but when I called Sunday the sales people had no idea either about the up-coming sale so I emailed the Manager. He emailed back and coofirmed the sale starting on Wednesday but said if I wanted to take advantage of the sale he would honor that sale on Monday if I wanted it.

I jumped at it. Got mine Monday. The GC I go too has a bunch of great people that alway's do everything they can to help.

Check with the Manager he will know.
djh
Old 09-16-2014, 12:49 PM

[QUOTE=djh1765;4134460]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzuner View Post
The body size differs from any Martin dread. Yamaha's website list the 700 series guitars as "jumbo's." That because of the wider lower body bout. A Yamaha won't fit into a Martin dread case. QUOTE]

Boy you almost blew my mind. I could just see myself having to buy a new case but I pulled out my Martin case and this Yamaha FG-700S is a perfact fit in it.

Got me too thinking anyway.

Thanks,

djh
Hmmm. That's odd. Cause my FG700S won't fit in my D16GT case. Which was the reason I looked the specs up on the Yamaha site.

Maybe I need a stretcher LOL
Old 09-16-2014, 01:23 PM

[QUOTE=bluzuner;4134917]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djh1765 View Post

Hmmm. That's odd. Cause my FG700S won't fit in my D16GT case. Which was the reason I looked the specs up on the Yamaha site.

Maybe I need a stretcher LOL

bluzuner,

I must apologize to you. This case is not a Martin Case but it is the case I carry my Martin in. As you can see the Yamaha FG-700S does in fact fit perfectly in it. Lucky for me there is enough padding in this case to accommodate the size of both guitars.

My Martin measures 15 5/8" and the Yamaha measures 16 1/8". You are right about the Yamaha being larger at the body. Guess I was lucky this time about both fitting in the same case.

Sorry for my mistake about the case being a Martin.
djh

Last edited by djh1765; 09-17-2014 at 07:55 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion