The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-05-2014, 07:29 PM

I guess that proves that there is no one best guitar brand, size, or wood combination because I ended up buying a Lowden after watching this exact video. I did not get rid of my Collings but I really like them both equally. That being said, the choice of music will make the choice on which guitar I would pick up that particular day.

Frank Sanns
Old 08-06-2014, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrunskill View Post
Interesting how opinions differ! I thought the Lowden sounded better, even though the Collings was wonderful
I Love the Lowden sound typically. In that comparison the Collings came across a lot more vibrant and clear. If I got to play them my opinion might be different.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:17 AM

You say "you've been looking at.."
You haven't played any yet Im guessing..

Unless the recent 00 Martin is an exceptional one,I think you will find the Lowden Post 2004 S better most of the time.
The Martin 0042/45 is in my opinion the prettiest acoustic guitar ever..but a good Lowden is more like in the ballpark of a PreWar 00 Martin when new.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Yes, I would call it a comparison between a Mahogany/Adirondack Lowden Grand Auditorium and a Rosewood/Adirondack Collings Orchestra Model. Two fantastic, but very different guitars, not only in their voicing, but also in size, shape, and tonewood combination.
I guess I wasn't clear, Ted. Obviously that video is a comparison of two very different guitars. My question though is whether you have a simple(ish) descriptor you would use to describe those two different tonal families. Again, it is obvious that the location of the shop isn't an indicator of the general build/sound philosophy of the company but is there some way to categorize them? I would clearly put Lowden, McIlroy, Avalon, Goodall, and a number of the individual luthiers into one category while putting Martin, Collings, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, and some other individual luthiers into another pretty much regardless of what wood combo or body shape we're talking about.
that's me on guitar
Old 09-21-2014, 02:15 AM

Hi folks

Well, I put up the sound comparison between "European" and "American" guitar sound for about a year ago or so and it has certainly been watched much more than I expected.

I am an Avalon player myself. I have both their wonderful baritone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuStxPSeXmA and a newly purchased 12 fret cutaway (I will put up a sound sample of this guitar soon).

In regards to the notion that Collings is in general a copy of Martin is in my humble opinion absolutely not true. If I was to try to explain the sound difference in one sentence and in a very general way, I would say Collings is more round and soft whereas Martins are in a very general term a bit sharper and piano-like.

Today, I own three guitars apart from the two Avalons, also a Viellette short scale 12 string. I only allow myself to own three guitar as I feel that more than this amount the instruments just don't get enough playing time. But if I allowed myself to own more guitars, it would be a Martin 000 12 fret...just listen to the sonic landscape this guitar produces and put a smile on your face (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5kWSk-Jb0A) and Mcilroy A25. What Dermot does with walnut and cedar...folks no one else can !

http://www.youtube.com/user/Frankensmile/videos

Guitars:

1) Greenfield G1 fanned fret (Moon spruce /Malaysian blackwood)

2) Furch Little Jane

3) Loef 12 string high strung parlour
Old 09-21-2014, 05:33 AM

As it turns out, I now have a Martin and a Lowden in the same configuration. Both are D size, Sitka or Indian Rosewood, 1 11/16 neck and standard scale, both have a pinned bridge.

The Lowden is a bit more balanced and smooth. It tends to holds its tonal characteristics throughout the dynamic range. The Martin is a bit more powerful in the bass and a bit more fundamental tonally.

I think the Lowden was built in a D world and the Martin was built in an E world.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:33 AM

hi Guys.

I am looking at making a purchase very soon and its between the new CEO7 and a lovely S23 Lowden.

This is the Lowden the shop are selling. Its very reduced because it has a few very small marks but other than that it plays and looks superb.

http://www.projectmusic.net/lowden-s...ar-13480-p.asp

They are of course both very different guitars and I like them and enjoy them both. I cant decide which one to go for and I know I would be happy with either.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the value aspect of this ? because of the marks on the S23 both guitars are very similar in price and it looks like that the Lowden is therefore a better deal. The marks don't put me off at all and I don't intend to ever sell the guitar. Its just the extra value on the S23 deal may help swing it in that direction.

Its interesting that they can be both so very different in looks sound and playing feel and yet they are almost if not exactly neck and neck and I cant decide.

Any thoughts at all ?
Old 09-21-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie View Post
hi Guys.

The marks don't put me off at all and I don't intend to ever sell the guitar. Its just the extra value on the S23 deal may help swing it in that direction.

Its interesting that they can be both so very different in looks sound and playing feel and yet they are almost if not exactly neck and neck and I cant decide.

Any thoughts at all ?
Anyone who at some point bought any guitar and said that I am not ever going to sell it...raise your hands .

I wouldn't let the value of the guitar decide which one I would go for. I have played basically all models from Avalon, Mcilroy and Lowden and I can promise you that no one can make a better walnut/cedar than Dermot Mcilroy. The guitar is so live and crisp you can almost taste it! You can find a new A25 or AS25 for about that price. If Lowden was your choice I would go with the Mcilroy. There is a store in Netherlands called Max guitar store (dealing mostly with electric guitars) who happen to have a A25 used for a good price http://www.maxguitarstore.com/products/mcilroy-a25/. Otherwise, Kenn Fox at Paramount guitars has a cedar/mahogany worth dying for and a couple of used Mcilroys.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Frankensmile/videos

Guitars:

1) Greenfield G1 fanned fret (Moon spruce /Malaysian blackwood)

2) Furch Little Jane

3) Loef 12 string high strung parlour
Old 09-22-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on the value aspect of this ? because of the marks on the S23 both guitars are very similar in price and it looks like that the Lowden is therefore a better deal. The marks don't put me off at all and I don't intend to ever sell the guitar. Its just the extra value on the S23 deal may help swing it in that direction.

Any thoughts at all ?
for whatever reason, I think Martins hold their value a little better than Lowdens although the guitars from the newest Lowden shop (like this one) seem to be pushing the value up on all of them. I would guess as a new guitar, the Lowden likely is a better deal especially considering that US guitars tend to be priced a bit higher in Europe.

Personally, I'm a Lowden guy... I would choose the Lowden regardless of other factors even though the S is my least favorite Lowden shape (My S is actually the older designation and is an O size guitar). As for the McIlroy mentioned above... they are fine guitars but a slightly different flavor than a Lowden even though they clearly are a descendant of the Lowden design. Farhad prefers McIlroys... you may or may not. I prefer Lowdens.

FWIW, cedar does ding more easily than any of the spruces so a cedar topped Lowden (or any other builder) will get dinged
that's me on guitar
Old 03-24-2015, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Default marting lowden

Martins sound a lot more what we call traditional. Martins are great for their price point, but if you get a custom shop one (try gruhns special order 0000-21 adi madi, you get a 10k guitar for 5k. My lowden ran a little over 4k, its a f25 cedar over rosewood, and its pretty spectacular in its on way. European guitars lack the low end most Americans like I think, but its clean and clear as a bell. Ive owned Goodall too, and they are amazing.

Alvarez classical 1975

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion