The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2014, 08:39 PM

Here is a great comparison between the American sound and the European sound. It is a Collings vs Lowden and the thread comes from the Collings Forum (sorry for the cross post but it is a worthwhile video for all).

One is not better than the other but they are quite different. I like the Lowden for some songs and the Collings and Martins for others. All good choices depending upon your likes.

Here is the thread: http://collingsforum.com/eve/forums/...3920015366/p/1

Here is the link to the video: http://youtu.be/kJAA3cw9hmE

Frank Sanns
Old 08-03-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_day View Post
I have been looking at some lowden s sized guitars. They seem to be very close to a 00 body. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the lowden S bossy and how it compares to martin or any other guitars that are a little more common.
I have never played one but I've heard them up close: those Lowdens sound absolutely out of this world. Visually the bridge looks wierd to me -- I'd rather just have a normal bridge -- but the sound is absolutely as good as it gets!!!

- Mountain Whippoorwill (Or, How Hillbilly Jim Won The Great Fiddler's Prize), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Old 08-03-2014, 11:32 PM

Funny, when I was looking for a Martin dread to replace my 20 year old J45 copy, I compared a Cedar top Takamine and a Lowden. I bought the Martin
Old 08-04-2014, 03:09 AM
Charter Member

They really are kinda different to compare. While I think a lot of builders take many of their design cues and tonal aspirations from classic Martins, I think George Lowden really has a bit more of an original and unique voice and design in the space. Really, what anyone else prefers should have little influence. Play as many as you can of both, and find what you prefer.
Or, as others noted, it's wonderful to have both in your stable if possible!
Old 08-04-2014, 05:30 AM

I think that the Collings vs. Lowden YouTube video that Frank posted is very helpful and worth listening to. Both makes are great choices, but for my ears I much prefer the Collings tone because to my ears is comes across as having much greater clarity, note separation, and complexity. It is also a better comparison than Lowden vs. Martin since Collings and Lowden are both small shops and put in the same amount of hand crafting (neither is an individual luthier operation). Also, most people, including me, experience Collings as being a Martinish type sound if Martins were made by a small shop where each guitar received much more attention and crafting and wood selecting and voicing than a large factory operation like Martin can put into their guitars.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 08-04-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Here is a great comparison between the American sound and the European sound. It is a Collings vs Lowden...
Hi Frank,

Although I enjoyed the video, I find the idea of any acoustic having an American or European sound silly. The Collings OM used in the video is basically a Martin clone, a guitar designed by a German, think European luthier. I mean if George Lowden decided to move his operation to California would that change the Lowden tone to American? I can see the ad now, "For that laid back California tone, choose Lowden".
Old 08-04-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post

Although I enjoyed the video, I find the idea of any acoustic having an American or European sound silly.
I'm a bit surprised you think that, Ted.

How about an American and Irish (or Celtic) dichotomy? Would you buy that?

IMHO, the Lowdens, Avalons and McIlroys have a sound that's quite distinctive.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
...How about an American and Irish (or Celtic) dichotomy? Would you buy that?
I would not.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:07 PM

Ted,

The video was not mine. I simply restated the title.

I do think the classic twangy and slightly boxy sound of a Martin might be construed as the quintessential guitar in the US even though many may consider a Gibson or some other manufacturer that. I will stay away from the semantics and just say that it is a nice comparison of two very differently build and voiced guitars. I think they are both winners no matter what you call them.

Frank Sanns
Old 08-05-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Although I enjoyed the video, I find the idea of any acoustic having an American or European sound silly.
Do you have another descriptor you would use to differentiate between those two fairly different sound families?
that's me on guitar
Old 08-05-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Ted,

The video was not mine. I simply restated the title.

I do think the classic twangy and slightly boxy sound of a Martin might be construed as the quintessential guitar in the US even though many may consider a Gibson or some other manufacturer that. I will stay away from the semantics and just say that it is a nice comparison of two very differently build and voiced guitars. I think they are both winners no matter what you call them.

Frank Sanns
Hi Frank,

Yes, it was clear the video was not yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
Do you have another you would use to differentiate between those two fairly different sound families?
Hi Royd,

Yes, I would call it a comparison between a Mahogany/Adirondack Lowden Grand Auditorium and a Rosewood/Adirondack Collings Orchestra Model. Two fantastic, but very different guitars, not only in their voicing, but also in size, shape, and tonewood combination.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:17 PM

True the tonewoods are different but I believe you can hear the classic American sound, focus on fundamental, and Irish, more overtones. Whatever woods you use the difference is there. When you look inside a Lowden and look inside a Martin, opps Collings, you see differences which = a different sound.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
True the tonewoods are different but I believe you can hear the classic American sound, focus on fundamental, and Irish, more overtones. Whatever woods you use the difference is there. When you look inside a Lowden and look inside a Martin, opps Collings, you see differences which = a different sound.
Your opinion might hold true for Martin vs Lowden, which is what the OP was asking about, but it certainly does not cover all American and European guitars, which is what I'm talking about. The notion that there is an American or European sound is pure nonsense. Play a McPherson alongside a Stonebridge and then tell me which one has more overtones, the American or European guitar.

The voice of a guitar comes from the builder, not the location of the shop.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

In the Collings Lowden camparison in that video the Collings came off much better. You can only tell so much from quick samples like that. Of those the Collings was quite a ways superior.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:26 PM

Interesting how opinions differ! I thought the Lowden sounded better, even though the Collings was wonderful

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion