The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2014, 11:06 PM

Default 13-17-25-32-42-53 Set - Who Likes Them?

I've got a somewhat lightly built 25.5" scale guitar for which the builder recommends light strings. I'm trying different sets out, and am thinking of putting on some Elixir HD Lights (13/17/25/32/42/53). Tension calculates to about 171 lbs. (vs. 166 lbs. for Sunbeams and 169.5 lbs. for Earthwood med/lts, which are recent faves). So, a few questions...

Are strings with 170 lbs. tension still considered within the light range (albeit upper end)?

What would be brought out tone-wise in a jumbo Sitka over EIR with the Elixir set (with the lighter bass and heavier plain string gauges)?

Any other makers for 13/17/25/32/42/53 (or there abouts)?

Anyone like these? Other thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

I wish my favorite makers made that set as I like a 13 & 17 for full sounding unwrapped strings, and working down to a 53 or 54 so the bass still has some growl and doesn't boom too much.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:56 PM

I put HDs on my Gibson J-45, which is made for lights. The HDs preserve the original bass thunk, but allow the trebles to ring out more when strumming. Because it's short scale, I can still bend the E and B. In your case, though, I guess advantages/disadvantages would depend on playing style. Is your guitar bass-heavy like a Martin or more balanced like a Collings? Fingerstyle, flatpicking or bluegrass strumming? The HDs come phosphor bronze or 80/20, so you have tonal choice, too.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Less tension on the guitar top of the light gauge wound strings allows the medium gauge unwound strings to be a bit more responsive, and their medium gauge will give them a little more body and rounded tone. However they are not great on your fingers if you like to bend strings a lot.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-21-2014, 02:43 AM

I'm running a set on both my Taylor and Yamaha and really digging them. The tension is just right and the tone is very balanced indeed. I'm a strummer but I think lickers would really like these too.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

My Lowden sports the Pierre Bensusan Wyres, which have similar gauges, but it LIVES in dropped tunings like DADGAD and Open G. Although I tune up to standard every once in a while, I wouldn't use the heavier strings on my two that live in standard (Taylor all-mahogany GC and Martin 00-18). For certain you'll need to tweak the truss rod some if you get excessive relieve with the increased tension.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:51 AM

Cool Difference between Lights & Mediums?

I've tried several sets in that range, but prefer the .011-.047 set range. I get plenty of bass response and even mids along with mellow trebles. Martin or La Bella "Silk & Steel" Lights sound fabulous.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 09-21-2014, 08:12 AM

Both the GHS Juber and Pearce New Mediums seem to fit the bill.

For while I used the Pearce Slack Key strings which are 13s but with lighter gauge D and G strings. I liked them. But while it varies from guitar to guitar (depending on age of the guitar and whether it has a truss rod or not) though string with medium lights or lights with the two higher strings replaced with a .013 and 017 which I stumbled upon when trying to figure out how to thicken up the sound of an f-hole archtop.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:29 AM

John Pearse's "New Medium" set is very close: .013, .017, .024, .032, .042, .055. I use them on my HD-28VS. It has strong bass, and the NM's seem to roll off the bass just a bit while retaining the sound of medium gauge (vs. lights).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion