The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
The flatter fretboard radius on a Larrivee...
I've seen variants of this on the AGF a few times in the past few days. This is another feature on Larrivee that often goes without notice - Larrivee uses a compound curve radius, which is a more technical feature compared to the radii used in other builders. FYI...
Old 09-18-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalowdwn1 View Post
I've seen variants of this on the AGF a few times in the past few days. This is another feature on Larrivee that often goes without notice - Larrivee uses a compound curve radius, which is a more technical feature compared to the radii used in other builders. FYI...
I believe the more technically proper term would be a conical fretboard although most refer to it as a compound curve. This would compensate for the fact that the strings are spaced further apart at the bridge than at the nut and should make the guitar play easier further up the neck. Near the nut, it has about a 16" radius gradually flattening to about a 21" radius further down the neck. In general though, the fretboard does feel flatter to me than some other brands . . . not that this is a problem.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Near the nut, it has about a 16" radius gradually flattening to about a 21" radius further down the neck. In general though, the fretboard does feel flatter to me than some other brands . . . not that this is a problem.
My Larrivees do not feel noticeably any flatter than my Martins. 17" compound to 21" vs 16".

Some of my Guilds with the 12" radius are really hard to play.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-18-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I believe the more technically proper term would be a conical fretboard although most refer to it as a compound curve. This would compensate for the fact that the strings are spaced further apart at the bridge than at the nut and should make the guitar play easier further up the neck. Near the nut, it has about a 16" radius gradually flattening to about a 21" radius further down the neck. In general though, the fretboard does feel flatter to me than some other brands . . . not that this is a problem.
Agreed, and I was actually regretting my perpetuating the term. And yes, Larrivee is still flatter, though I was just pointing out that many folks miss the nuance without appreciating the fact that the "compound" is a bonus feature.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltiki View Post
The Taylor knocked me out. My 314ce doesn't sound as nice as that 414. If I hadn't looked I would have thought it was Taylor, but a rosewood for sure.
The Taylor 400 series including the 414 are not rosewood - they are ovangkol. There have been a couple of the 400 series limited editions that were made with Indian rosewood, but the standard wood is ovangkol. Ovangkol is a very nice alternative and tonewood that in some ways sounds like rosewood. It is also less expensive so they can keep the price of the 400 series affordable.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion