The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB1 View Post
Geez, you guys had better start a BA (Bedell-aholics Anonymous) club and get some help

Glad I only went in looking for the MB-28, though those Award series MBA-17-G models looked pretty sweet. At some point I may get a Cedar over Mahogany. I came really close to getting a Taylor GS5 at one point because I really liked the Cedar over Mahogany…

I have to say, I am not looking to get any more but seeing all the ebay ones out there now from folks that bought to flip for a fast buck really annoys me…

-Jim
I doubt those guitars are ever going to sell for the prices that's listed for a couple of reasons. If I was a potential buyer, I'd sure ask about the warranty on these guitars because I don't think there's anyway they can sell them as being new with a lifetime warranty. The warranty only extends to the original buyer, who is the ebay seller. Bedell technically has no responsibility at all to honor the warranties of any of the guitars being re-sold on Ebay. The may not bother to check who the original purchaser is, but it sure wouldn't be a chance I would want to take. At $350 I would, but not at the Ebay prices.

There's one listing in particular where the first line in the description is just an out and out lie. It states "This acoustic guitar is new, acquired from the factory." Really? Technically, I guess AMS did acquire from the factory and then he acquired it from them, but to me it's just unethical. How do I know he acquired it from AMS? He was one of the main posters in the Slickdeals thread that bought 9 Bedells during the AMS blowout. His slickdeals user name is the same as his ebay user name (very smart). Some were cancelled or placed on backorder, but he received most of them I believe. Another slickdeal user who's also a member here had asked what he intended to do with all of them and he responded by saying "If they were to fill all my orders I would at least keep 2-3, the rest I would offer to my buddies, I'm sure they will gladly pick them up..." Turns out, I guess his buddies didn't want them because now they're all listed on ebay. Maybe they didn't want them at the prices he was offering.

The other totally immoral and more than likely illegal thing about the listings, is their condition is listed as new, unused, and unopened. The moment you open the box, take the guitar out and begin playing it, it's no longer new and unused. I know several people can walk into a music store and play a guitar and it still be sold as new, but unless these ebay sellers have a dealer's license or are Bedell authorized retailers, they can no longer be sold as new with the factory warranty. And while most of these sellers make it clear there are no returns offered, buyers are still protected by the Ebay Money Back Guarantee and would probably have little difficulty at all proving that these are not new items and the listing was fraudulent.

Most of these listings have a "best offer" option, as well and I'm sure they'll eventually have to take what they can get or just have a house full of Bedells but I doubt anyone, at this point, is willing to pull the trigger on those prices. I'm sure too, not everyone's convinced that the Bedell blowout is over. Musicians Friend may just be waiting on Sam Ash to sell out their stock before they unleash the Bedells they have on hand I sure hope, for the sake of my sanity and wallet, this doesn't happen. But hopefully it will for you guys that missed out. And as I said before, when I decide which ones I don't want, I'll be listing them on here for what I paid for them and the condition will be slightly used

Last edited by JeremiahB.; 09-19-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:18 AM

Wow. I'm the OP and I never had any idea how big this thread would become and how many people would actually buy them. I hope and believe most of you will be happy with them although I have also read about many flaws too.

I have no affiliation with Bedell or any of the companies that ran these sales - just another AGF member that had played several and was shocked at the quality of sound they produced.

FWIW - I was tempted but never pulled the trigger on any, as the 1 & 11/16 nut is too narrow for me.

Anyway - I have enjoyed seeing the posts here.

Roy

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-19-2014, 07:57 AM

I am with those who hope the flippers fall on their faces. Furthermore, when these instruments start making their way back to AMS and Sam Ash at the 45 day cut off I hope those retailers take note of them. It would be nice if the people that actually want to play them can buy them. There are 3 models in particular that I really wanted to try. One of which I have seen several copies of on Ebay for close to 3 times the blowout price.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaPat View Post
I am with those who hope the flippers fall on their faces. Furthermore, when these instruments start making their way back to AMS and Sam Ash at the 45 day cut off I hope those retailers take note of them. It would be nice if the people that actually want to play them can buy them. There are 3 models in particular that I really wanted to try. One of which I have seen several copies of on Ebay for close to 3 times the blowout price.
Some are probably "flippers" as you say. Many refurbished guitar sellers got stuck too. I know, as I used to sell refurbs and the profit margin on them is very small.

They bought the refurbs from MIRC at about 2x or more than the blowout price and now they can't move them because the new ones were actually cheaper than their stock. They are gonna lose big money on them.

Just another reason i don't do it anymore. Lotta work. Not so much $.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 09-19-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Some are probably "flippers" as you say. Many refurbished guitar sellers got stuck too. I know, as I used to sell refurbs and the profit margin on them is very small.

They bought the refurbs from MIRC at about 2x or more than the blowout price and now they can't move them because the new ones were actually cheaper than their stock. They are gonna lose big money on them.

Just another reason i don't do it anymore. Lotta work. Not so much $.
That is unfortunate for the those in the refurb biz and I wish them the best, but I still maintain a disdain for those who keep the guitars out of players hands to make a quick buck.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:38 AM

Just received my second TB-17-G. The Bedell box looked like it had been in a corner somewhere collecting dust since FDR was president. I was excited to see on the outside of the box that this was supposedly a 2009 model, the first I've received that hasn't been a 2010. I was worried when I heard what sounded like rattling when I was opening the box, but luckily it was only the pack of silica gel they had included. The guitar itself is flawless and had the unsigned sticker on the inside and easily removeable "Handcrafted in China" sticker on the back. Only thing noticeable was some glue smear around one of the back braces which should clean up with hot water if they did indeed use hide glue for assembly. Not sure I'll even bother, though. Gives it character.

The ebony used for the fretboard and bridge is some of the nicest I've seen. Most of the others I've gotten has had quite a lot of grain lines, with some being wide enough to appear to be cracks, but this ebony is as smooth as a baby's butt, with no discernible grain lines at all. The cedar is very nice with their being two dark grain lines that are borderline pitch pockets, but doesn't bother my eye. As far as sound, I haven't been able to really give her a strum, still being at the office, but I believe it's even boomier than the other TB-17-G I received which is pretty loud itself. Can't tell for sure until I do a side by side but definitely another keeper. One of the 17's is for me the other for my stepson. Looks like a TB-18-G will be up for sale at the original price as well as one of my MB's. I just can't keep them all though I sure would like to. They're definitely worth tons more than what they cost. As of this morning, Sam Ash still had three TB-17's left. If you're on the fence, I'd order quick. These may be some of the best of the bunch and ironically, they're the last to be sold.

Strangely, I really didn't care for cedar guitars until I got these. The OM and dreads have sounded amazing. And I just love the butterscotch look. They're all so beautiful.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaPat View Post
That is unfortunate for the those in the refurb biz and I wish them the best, but I still maintain a disdain for those who keep the guitars out of players hands to make a quick buck.
I don't blame you.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 09-19-2014, 10:20 AM

Jeremiah:

Glad you like your 17s. At the end of the day I like mine too. It is a no brainer at that price and even if they have 1000 of them lined up like soldiers at Sam Ash they should have sold all of them by now. Unfortunately, like you, I cannot keep all of my Bedells so my TB-17 is being boxed back up for the holidays. At least 1 of the other 5 will also make a holiday gift to a family member and 1 of course will be with me for a long, long time.

Last edited by GangstaPat; 09-21-2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:28 AM

Im considering selling my Bedell MG-18-G. No intention to make money… just need to recover what I spent. I installed a JJB pickup, a clear pickguard and a strap button to it. Email me if interested: [email protected]

Last edited by lepusekuka; 09-20-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:15 AM

When you installed the JJB pickup, was the original end pin glued in? I've never installed a pickup before but I'm considering either the JJB or the K&K mini pickup. Dealing with the end pin has me worried the most.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:35 AM

I dont know if it was glued but it was really hard to remove ! You can cut the "head" of the pin ( very carefully) and drill the hole with the pin on. It's made of wood so the drill will eat it.

Last edited by lepusekuka; 09-20-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepusekuka View Post
Im considering selling my Bedell MG-18-G. No intention to make money… just need to recover what I spent. I installed a JJB pickup, a clear pickguard and a strap button to it. Email me if interested: [email protected]
So what's the verdict? You decide that you didn't like it, price too high, got too many?
Old 09-20-2014, 01:04 PM

I really like it… as I said in previous posts. But I feel that I have wasted TOO MUCH time comparing the sound of this Bedell to my Taylor 316CE Koa. I need to focus on making good music… not spend hours "delighting" in the differences of guitar's tone. I guess Im a "one guitar guy" … can't have more if I want to be musically productive ;-)

Last edited by lepusekuka; 09-20-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepusekuka View Post
I really like it… as I said in previous posts. But I feel that I have wasted TOO MUCH time comparing the sound of this Bedell to my Taylor 316CE Koa. I need to focus on making good music… not spend hours "delighting" in the differences of guitar's tone. I guess Im a "one guitar guy" … can't have more if I want to be musically productive ;-)
Hey man; I could probably learn from you. My playing was really starting to improve after I got my D-42. This Bedell blowout has been a big distraction for me. I guess my Martin morphed my GAS into TAS (Talent Acquisition Syndrome). Only temporarily though. I have spent all of my time, effort, and money lately acquiring, testing, and making playable my blowout Bedells.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:56 PM

Default and taht makes 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17sd View Post
I bought one as well.
It is a MB-18-G, and I should receive it soon.
So three of us canadians lucked out and got in on this fantastic deal. Yay us. I will be taking my guitar into my local luthier in a couple of days, I'll post what he has to say about these guitars (mine specifically). The local luthier here is one of canada's (possible north america's) most respected Martin repair shops, hopefully they won't be to biased by the made in china sticker.lol
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
all solid, bedell