The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2014, 01:52 PM

Default Baritone guitar/ukulele

Hi is the Baritone guitar just a larger version of the ukulele?
Old 09-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeriley View Post
To some extent, yes, but if you check the details of the one you are looking at it will be more than just "larger". Baritones are tuned lower pitch-wise. Most are tuned DGBe like the four highest pitch strings of a normally tuned guitar. Some are different however.

The advantage of this is that a guitar player can use the same chord formations (it will usually be an inversion unless you're playing first position D chord as example), that you are used to as a guitar player.

All other ukuleles are tuned differently and are not tuned lower to higher in order like you are used to in a guitar, but are iterent tuned, where the two middle strings are not tuned "normally" but are reversed so that at the lower pitch string is where the higher pitched string would be on a guitar. Think of it like form lower to higher pitch we are used to as guitar players being 1 2 3 4, but non-baritone ukuleles would be 1 3 2 4.

So, if you play guitar and want to play ukulele and make the transition easier, get a baritone.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:36 PM

Default Baritone guitar/ukulele

Hi, I'm assuming you meant to say baritone ukulele, not baritone guitar.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsmyth9 View Post
Hi, I'm assuming you meant to say baritone ukulele, not baritone guitar.
Good catch. I answered assuming what he meant was "is a baritone ukulele a larger version of a ukulele".

Answer may change based on additional input.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:58 AM

No i did mean is a Baritone Guitar a larger version of Baritone ukulele?
Old 09-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...kind of i guess...its larger in size ... provides a longer scale...has a different standard tuning and creates deeper tone respective to its smaller cousins...i think the similarities end there....

Last edited by J Patrick; 09-19-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Baritone Ukulele is tuned to E and Baritone guitar is tuned to a lower B or C
Old 09-19-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
No, it is not.
You might call it a larger version of guitar with slightly longer scale (~27.5 inches) tuned (usually) five steps lower (BEADF#B).
Old 09-19-2014, 07:59 AM

sorry i meant Baritone uke and Tenor guitar
Old 09-19-2014, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Tenor guitars were developed for tenor banjo players. They are tuned in 5ths like tenor banjos or mandolins and have steel strings. Not many similarities to uke.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Default baritone

As a uke player, I have a concert, tenor and baritone.
The concert and tenor are tuned GCEA, while the baritone is DGBE (like the bottom 4 strings on a guitar) I can be tuned GCEA but, per several luthiers, it puts far too much tension on the bridge, hence, not recommended.
The tone from a baritone is of course lower (more bass), but it offers a different tone therefore a good counterpoint when playing with other ukes. Ofter I will pluck the bass note of the chord when playing to add 'something extra'. For guitar players wanting to get into uke, because of the tuning, it is easier to learn.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbla4024 View Post
No, it is not.
You might call it a larger version of guitar with slightly longer scale (~27.5 inches) tuned (usually) five steps lower (BEADF#B).
This is correct.

As for my original answer, I could not understood the question more wrongly. Oh well!
Old 09-20-2014, 07:55 PM

Many tenor guitar players tune(d) them DGBE ("Chicago tuning") - Tiny Grimes, Nick Reynolds, and Neko Case to name a few. And some people tune their ukes in fifths. So the tunings can certainly overlap. The two main differences are 1) steel string vs. nylon; and 2) bigger body and longer scale length on a tenor guitar (most are 23", some 21", most bari ukes are 19" or 20").
Old 09-20-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seonachan View Post
Many tenor guitar players tune(d) them DGBE ("Chicago tuning")...So the tunings can certainly overlap...
Another tenor guitar tuning that seems to have almost completely disappeared since around 1930 is drop-G uke (Gcea, low to high). Just as Chicago tuning allowed guitarists to play plectrum banjo, drop-G allowed uke players to step up to tenor banjo and join the more lucrative jazz scene of the 1920's; I learned this one from Chuck Romanoff of Schooner Fare - TMK the sole living proponent of any note - about 20 years ago, and I keep one of my tenors (usually a Deering Boston) in drop-G at all times. Truth be told it's extremely versatile: most of the fiddle/mandolin/banjo range is covered so it makes a great alternative lead instrument - especially if you already have an octave mando or Irish banjo - and it's loud enough to cut through a wall of dreadnoughts with no problem...
Old 09-20-2014, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi georgeriley...

A baritone uke is tuned to D-G-B-E (like the high strings of a six string) and is nylon strung

A Tenor guitar is usually tuned C-G-D-A and is steel strung.

There is probably no reason a Tenor guitar could not be tuned to D-G-B-E (like the top 4 strings of a normal six string)

I've actually seen more alternate tunings among 4 string Tenor guitar players than six string players.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion