The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2006, 08:07 PM

Has anyone here ever purchased their own sides, booked match backs and asked a custom guitar builder/Luther to build them a guitar? I wonder if a builder would accept a project like that? I suppose most custom builders woud like you to believe they have gone through a painstaking down-select process to arrive at the wood selection he has in-stock instead of the more likely, sampling a few especially choice pieces (taken with him) and buying the rest of the lot. I'm not trying to minimize the art and craftmanship of any custom builder I have the utmost respect for them and their art. I just think that if you plan on building more than two guitars a year you have to make some compromises in obtaining your working stock and quite frankly I think you'll find most builders buy their tonewoods from the same suppliers. Unless of course you're Bob Taylor who can afford to send a "team" to Honduras to buy two trees. The advantage to having a custom builder create "your" guitar is the ability to choose the wood you like, have the appointments you want, and one hopes a little special magic the builder himself imparts to the instrument. At least with this obsession I get a great piece of steak and only a little sizzle.

RocketBoy
Old 08-11-2006, 04:48 AM

I used to own a Breedlove made with Brazilian rosewood. Its stunning rosewood had been obtained by the dealer and sent to Breedlove.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:25 AM

Here's an interesting tid-bit from the U.S. Forestry Service Tech Sheets regarding Cocobolo, Dalbergia retusa, family:Leguminosae'.

Mechanical Properties: No data available, but is denser and stronger than Brazilian rosewood (see D. nigra).

I would not have thought this to be true.

RocketBoy
Old 08-11-2006, 06:53 AM
A Santa Fe Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoy
Here's an interesting tid-bit from the U.S. Forestry Service Tech Sheets regarding Cocobolo, Dalbergia retusa, family:Leguminosae'.

Mechanical Properties: No data available, but is denser and stronger than Brazilian rosewood (see D. nigra).

I would not have thought this to be true.

RocketBoy
Brazilian is also very brittle, I wonder if either wood is more stable that BR?

The Artist's Mission Blog
Coastland Tampa
My MySpace

Cornerstone SJ #007 - Camatillo/Sinker Redwood
Taylor 815c 1984 Lemon Grove - Brazilian/Sitka
Yamaha LL-11 - Beach Guitar - EIR/Engelmann
Peavey Grind Bass BXP NTB
Old 08-11-2006, 08:22 AM

Here is a link to a video from NAMM where Bob Taylor talks briefly about Madagascar Rosewood. Scroll down to the Taylor link about the Fall Limiteds.

According to his statement, Madagascar Rosewood has been rare in the past because it was very difficult to harvest and transport out of the area it grows. The wood is just starting to become more available do to roads and commerce developing in the area the trees grow.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM06/videos.html
McConnell MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion