The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-26-2010, 05:54 AM

Default Wash tub Bass

Didn't know where else to put this question so I stuck it here.
My neighbor gave me a No.3 wash tub and since I already had two, I've decided to make a bass out of it. I've gone on line and checked out some sites and got the info I need to build a basic one, but I've got a couple of questions that I hope my friends here at AGF can answer.
1. What sort of "string" really works best? I've read that people use an upright bass string [expensive, I'm sure], rope [what diameter] or "aircraft cable."
2. Are they really as much fun as they look? I'm really wanting it to take to the campfire jams we have up on the mountain, but I'm thinking it might be fun to record with when doing some old jug band type tunes or bluegrass. [Think Ozark Mountain Daredevils or Goose Creek].
I know better than to expect a real bass sound, but I think it would be fun and if someone else wants to play it, it's not like handing over your good instrument..... It's a wash tub, a string and a stick. If they break it or bend it [when alcohol is involved, there are people who can actually BREAK a wash tub]
I've got two more.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:59 AM

I actually made one of these about 12 years go for a play I was in, although I didn't play it on stage. I tried cable, bass strings, lamp cord, etc. What worked best was clothes line rope.

The guy who played it was a a guitarist friend of mine who could actually get it on pitch, and he developed a muting technique so he could get short discrete notes before resetting the tension for the next note. Everyone fooled around with it a bit, of course, some with better results than others.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:04 PM

Not exactly the same but maybe you could get something from here

http://www.onestringwillie.com/id10.html

Heed the advice: "can be found by clicking on the Building a Diddley Bow tab to the left and following the pull-down menus."

Thers's stuff about strings, resonator, playing, pitch markers, etc.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:15 AM

Default Check out the Brass Kings for good Washtub Bass!!!

These guys, the Brass Kings are based in the Twin Cities and play some nifty stuff. The bass player seems to play what you envision. Good luck and enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFk1L37cedg

2004 Taylor 410
2006 Washburn WD18SW
2007 Guild GAD-G212
2001 Taylor 814CE
2008 Langer Cigar Box Guitar (Hand built by Me!!)
2008 Taylor Big Baby
2010 Antonio Hermosa AH10 Classical
Old 05-28-2010, 06:45 PM

Try this page for construction info http://folkmusic.about.com/gi/o.htm?.../Tublinks.html

Happened to see one at Elderly Music a week ago, I believe it was about $100
Webber Roundbody cutaway
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor T5

[[email protected]
Old 05-29-2010, 12:37 AM

I know a guy who made one.

sounds really good.

if you want it to sound like a bass then make it a BASS with as many "real" components as possible (like strings!!)

if you want it to sound like a stage prop, then make it out of cardboard and rope.
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 07:42 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackweasel View Post
Didn't know where else to put this question so I stuck it here.
My neighbor gave me a No.3 wash tub and since I already had two, I've decided to make a bass out of it. I've gone on line and checked out some sites and got the info I need to build a basic one, but I've got a couple of questions that I hope my friends here at AGF can answer.
1. What sort of "string" really works best? I've read that people use an upright bass string [expensive, I'm sure], rope [what diameter] or "aircraft cable."
2. Are they really as much fun as they look? I'm really wanting it to take to the campfire jams we have up on the mountain, but I'm thinking it might be fun to record with when doing some old jug band type tunes or bluegrass. [Think Ozark Mountain Daredevils or Goose Creek].
I know better than to expect a real bass sound, but I think it would be fun and if someone else wants to play it, it's not like handing over your good instrument..... It's a wash tub, a string and a stick. If they break it or bend it [when alcohol is involved, there are people who can actually BREAK a wash tub]
I've got two more.
Hey jackweasel,
I just saw your post, hope it is not to late to help.
I have a blog on how to build a Washtub Bass on Myspace, go here:
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=292154552
If you make one and take the time to figure out how it is played, you will be very suprised to the actual Bass sounds you can get for a Washtub. When I play I try to find all the notes needed for a song as I play. I think you will be have tons of fun. Let me know if you need any additional info or help.
Russ
Old 07-03-2010, 10:57 AM

Hey, thanks for all your help. Just got finished with it. Found a pice of oak stair rail with a flat one one side and it woks great. I used the cable off an old garage door mechanism and as soon as I get to the flea market, I'm gonna cover the top half or so of it with heat-shrink. That should save some wear and tear on my fingers. I'm getting ready to plug my i-Pod into my Bose L-1 and see if I can figure out how to play it. If all goes well, I'm taking it with me to a lakeside 4th of July jam session tomorrow evning. I'll try to get pics later and post them.
Thanks again, everybody. I can always count on my friends here at AGF.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:23 PM

I knew Russ would be all over this . He's the man when it comes to washtubs.

Hey Russ, my son still has his, though he hasn't played it much lately. He does still show off whenever we have company come over, though. Of course I'm smiling ear to ear when he does play it

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair