The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-18-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Just checked the price of a Macbook...WOW! I could buy a lot of recording equipment for that amount of money. I'd love to have the full version of GarageBand that you get with a Macbook but I'm just not ready to drop that much cash.
I use a Mac-mini at work for "real-life-work"... nothing mini about it. it would make a decent recording machine.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripacheco View Post
I use a Mac-mini at work for "real-life-work"... nothing mini about it. it would make a decent recording machine.

The Mac mini would be fine. Logic is very difficult to beat for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 01-18-2017, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for Auria. Very inexpensive and gives you many times the horsepower and options of Garage Band.

Lots of info online and many youtube video tutorials.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:12 PM

And another vote for Auria. It's still my goto on my iPad. HarmonicDog's DAW is good too, but the UI is, um, non-traditional for audio.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:27 AM

Before spending money on a notebook, check Auria out. I run it on ipad mini and pro and I can't ask for more.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:31 AM

Check out Cubasis for iPad. Pretty deep software that will give you just about anything you'd need for multi tracking and mixing on the go. Also a good introduction to it's big brother, Cubase, which is one of the top pro DAWs available.

HERE is a new review of Cubasis FYI

Last edited by Fairlight; 02-08-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:43 AM

You don't mention what the limitations are that you're finding with running software on IOS devices specifically, but I second the thought that recording software on a phone will be by the nature of the beast be limiting. You can do some marvelous things with the small screens and other limitations of IOS, things that one could never imagine a decade ago, but if you're running into limitations, it's probably the fact that you're running on a phone.

A USB recording interface will add features on it's own that you may find valuable. I've used them on Windows, and it can be a little trickier to get them working right, but they work. I do a lot of recording on an old Mac Mini from 2009 and it works well for me. Unlike recent Mac computers, the Mac Minis from the 4th and 5th generations, allow you to easily upgrade RAM, and with some fiddly work concerning small screws and connectors, upgrading internal hard drives is possible too on these older Mac Minis. Hook up one or two getting cheaper all the time 24 inch class monitors, add a USB audio interface with the feature set that meets your needs, and a mic or two, and you have a very deluxe setup for recording.

I don't know exactly what your budgetary limitations are, but such a system is just so much better.

Audio recording that doesn't use a lot of plug ins or virtual instruments is actually a very light-weight computer task. There is no need or advantage to have the latest and fastest computer.

I use ProTools a bit (not cheap) and Logic (very full featured, $200) on the Mac. I've only looked at Reaper briefly, but some folks like it and it's cheaper yet. Reaper is also available for Windows.

Yes, folks do install MacOS on "Windows computers". I've never done it, but folks do report success with that. Again, unlike recent Mac computers, the "Hackintosh" platform allows easy low-cost hardware choices and upgrades. Similarly, there are Linux distos (versions) that have pre-packaged audio recording environments that include extensive recording software that are free. One can download one of those and run it as a "live disk" off a USB stick or DVD disk to test that solution with a USB audio interface and a mic or two on your laptop. You need to install nothing on your laptop's hard drive, nor remove your existing laptop's operating system. The software running as a "live disk" will be much slower than installing it permanently on a hard drive, but this allows an easy, risk-free way to try things out.

http://linux-sound.org/distro.html

I've only glanced at the Linux solutions, but if you're willing to use your time and learning ability to replace money, that would be one way to reduce costs.

Another option, stand-alone recording devices, which sometimes get called "Portastudios" after a long-standing brand name. I've used them in the past. They work well for some things, but I find their limitations, well, too limiting. A basic issue with these: if you think your phone's screen limits what the user can choose and see, wait until you see little b&w LCD screens that make a Gameboy look hi-res serving as a user interface. These devices DO work for folks however, particularly those who just want to record straight performances with an easily portable device. As an acoustic guitarist forum member, you may be one of those people. And since the format has been around since the days when cassette tape was the recording format, used ones can be found to save money.

Hope some of this helps.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-19-2017, 04:24 PM

I just took a look at the feature set of the current versions of Auria. Very impressive.

Like the OP, my iPad is not a recent model. I'm not sure how it runs on the resources available on older iPads. Any Aria users want to chime in on what level of iPad hardware they're using?

My old eyes will still likely prefer a large screen for a complex user interface, but for occasional recording this could work, assuming it indeed does work. I have an iPad 3 with 16 gigs storage from 2012, and it looks like the maker recommends the iPad 4 or better. I don't know what the OPs workflow is, but two audio tracks at a time, probably something like 12 tracks max, often more like 6. Some midi virtual instruments at times, but not essential.

Other than the limits of a smaller screen, and the possible need for a newer iPad than the OP owns, this really does seem to answer the "more than GarageBand for IOS" original question.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-20-2017, 02:22 PM

My setup:
114ce -> Mackie -> Focusrite -> iMac (GarageBand)

Old 01-21-2017, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Thank you for all the suggestions, I thought this thread had pretty much died until I checked it last night. Based on all the suggestions here I downloaded Auria on my iPad. It's an iPad 2 but everything seems to be functioning just fine so far. I'll start working on my project with it soon.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-23-2017, 06:36 AM

I must just be stupid, because in spite of taking a class and reading a book on the subject, I've never been able to get anything useful out of GarageBand. It's all bells and whistles and neat gimmicks, but actual useful output seems impossible.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I must just be stupid, because in spite of taking a class and reading a book on the subject, I've never been able to get anything useful out of GarageBand. It's all bells and whistles and neat gimmicks, but actual useful output seems impossible.
It may be impossible for you, but I wouldn't say it's all bells and whistles that you can't get anything useful out of-that's a bit too much of a generalisation that GB doesn't deserve-it is a great bit of kit.
Can you elaborate on your situation, there may be people here that can help.
I will if I can, I'm no expert-we are all still learning all the time, but I have found it wonderful over the last year or so. It can be as simple or complicated a recording as you want. I'm not a very technical person believe me, but I was fortunate to sign up for Apple lessons which have just ended. Please take this comment in the positive way I intend it.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

I have Auria. It's not intuitive for a novice. Yes it's powerful and I am sure it records as well or better than anything for an iPad. The downside is it will make you learn recording. Unlike garage band you will not be up and running in minutes. I find that it slows the creative process... you spend time learning, googling etc.

So for rapid recording of ideas - GarageBand

For recording a polished tune - auria
Martin OM-42 Martin OM-42 Koa Martin 00-42K Robbie Robertson. Martin GPCPA1 Martin OMC Aura Orchestra Santa Cruz 00. Santa Cruz 00M Taylor custom 12 fret GC Adirondack Taylor 912e Taylor GA4 Blueridge BR-371 Rainsong P12 Atienza Parlor An embarrassingly long list of others...
Old 01-30-2017, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83SanDimas View Post
I have Auria. It's not intuitive for a novice. Yes it's powerful and I am sure it records as well or better than anything for an iPad. The downside is it will make you learn recording. Unlike garage band you will not be up and running in minutes. I find that it slows the creative process... you spend time learning, googling etc.

So for rapid recording of ideas - GarageBand

For recording a polished tune - auria
Well I bought a new iPad this weekend. I got a iPad Mini 4 32 gb and purchased Auria too. I'm hopeful that I'll figure this out.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-01-2017, 09:45 PM

Default STEP UP!.

Step up to the latest edition of Cakewalk Sonar...Worth the Bucks!!!.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD