The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-05-2016, 01:35 AM

Default Kostal MD!

Well it's certainly been a long wait, most of which has been at my request I must add, but I was ecstatic to receive a mail from Jason stating that the build has started.

I started discussions with way back in 2011 when we initially settled on a wonderful piece of African Blackwood for the back and sides. Unfortunately I waited more than a few months before confirming the build and by that time this piece had been snapped up by "steveh" for his build. As I had a Baranik Meridian scheduled to arrive in 2013 we decided to wait a little while before confirming the B&S wood. In the meantime the South African Rand was starting it's free fall (it is now 50% of the value it was in 2011!) and so I had to delay the build on more than one occasion as a result. Jason was extremely gracious in every rescheduling discussion. In addition I was hoping to collect the guitar at the last Healdsburg show, which never materialized and is now no more.

After way too many e-mails to Jason and much discussion on my preferences, we settled on a wonderful piece of fiddleback Mahogany for the B&S, with Jason's favored German Spruce top.

I have recently been tempted to switch to an OM build rather than the MD, but feel that not experiencing the MD is something that I would always regret.

The MD will have a Florentine Cutaway and Manzer Wedge. I have discussed a few general aesthetic preferences with Jason but as with my previous builds, I have left the detail of the aesthetic up to him.

I have not requested regular images or updates, but as I receive any I will post here.

Anyway, here are the initial pics of the Mahogany...

Old 06-05-2016, 02:22 AM
Charter Member

Congrats!

From Af. Blackwood to mahogany, that's quite the jump. How did the decision making process go?
Old 06-05-2016, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Congrats!

From Af. Blackwood to mahogany, that's quite the jump. How did the decision making process go?
Not really a huge jump. The Cocobolo Baranik, Bashkin and the Sapele Cornerstone, provided some clues as well as my playing style and needs. In addition, we discussed my tonal preferences and specifically what I liked in what I was hearing in these three as well as other guitars I had played with various rosewoods and mahogany variants. While playing styles, pick or finger attack etc play a huge role, the various good quality videos and sound samples of some Kostal guitars allowed me to provide some feedback to Jason on what I was hearing and again the aspects that I enjoyed about each guitar. Add to this mix, Jason's ability and knowledge and he suggested that we use this specific piece of mahogany that he had been given by Mike Baranik.

To be clear, I wanted a Kostal guitar with his signature tone and listened to his advise as to what he believed was the correct choice for my tonal preference. As time has passed since we firmed up the decision to go with mahogany, I have realized that it is the right choice as I have again spent time with other guitars. The aspects that I enjoy from mahogany built guitars outweigh those that I enjoy from rosewood builds. A huge generalization and not an accurate measure as the luthier is still the most important factor.

Michael Watts has a few awesome comparisons of Kostals and other builds and I must say that his personal Kostal provides a reference as well, albeit that it is built from "The Tree" Mahogany as opposed to my build utilizing "A Tree" Mahogany!

Through all three of my previous builds I have trusted the luthier and none have disappointed me in the slightest. I am very confident that this will not be a "typical", run-off-the-mill mahogany type guitar though!!
Old 06-05-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racman View Post
I have recently been tempted to switch to an OM build rather than the MD, but feel that not experiencing the MD is something that I would always regret.
Congratulations - what a long wait!

I've said several times that I believed firmly the OM is the no. 1 guitar but I was completely surprised that I generally favoured playing the MD over the OM. I think that's because no other guitar gives you that thunderous bass in combination with a very refined and "modern" treble, so it sounds very different to the usual experience. I thought I'd get tired of that sound but I didn't. You will not regret it.

One other thing, I recently played a mahogany guitar that blew my mind - a Claxton OM that was every bit as complex and overtony (if there is such a word) as the very very best rosewood guitars. It really reminded me of a braz Traugott I used to own. The moral of the story is that the right builder is far more important than the wood, and you are in very safe hands. And that mahogany is insane...

Cheers,
Steve
Old 06-05-2016, 06:39 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Congrats! To have a Baranik and a Kostal in the same house will be awesome! As you know Mike and Jason are good friends, so maybe the guitars will be too
Old 06-05-2016, 06:52 AM

Thx Steve, I am very confident that this will be something special!
Old 06-05-2016, 08:31 AM

That looks like an outstanding piece of mahogany.

Well done, Roy.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

Default Great wood,

I can only imagine how wonderful this guitar will be. I recently played a Buendia MD as well as an OM at Leo's shop, while taking some pictures for him. I was astonished at how comfortable it was...you are in for something incredible.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
That looks like an outstanding piece of mahogany.
Indeed! Had I suspected Jason had non-Tree mahogany like that - in fact, had I known it even existed(!) - I might have been persuaded over walnut for my Kostal MD (also with a cutaway and wedge), which I'm very much looking forward to taking delivery of in the next few weeks. (Videos and recordings to follow...)

I'm confident that Jason will build you a stunning guitar with this set (well, he'd doubtless build you a stunning guitar with plywood!). I think the less vitreous woods work brilliantly with his voicing, which provides - as you'll know and as Mr Watts' stunning MD is testament to - no shortage of reverb, overtones and bass that can otherwise be somewhat lacking with the drier sounds of something like mahogany. That's not a criticism of mahogany - I really love the stuff! It's just that I think you get the best of both worlds with a hog Kostal MD! And is something of what Jason and I were aiming for with the choice of walnut for mine.

Very much looking forward to following the build!

All the best,

Dan
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 06-08-2016, 02:28 AM
Charter Member

Hi Roy,

Great to see your build thread has started, and what a lovely piece of mahogany! While I am a sucker for African Blackwood (i.e. my Baranik CX) I think mahogany will give you a really fine counterpoint to the cocobolo Meridian you already own. I am looking forward to my upcoming koa build partly for that reason.

I hope Jason sends you lots of pics!

Col
Old 06-08-2016, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobo View Post
Indeed! Had I suspected Jason had non-Tree mahogany like that - in fact, had I known it even existed(!) - I might have been persuaded over walnut for my Kostal MD (also with a cutaway and wedge), which I'm very much looking forward to taking delivery of in the next few weeks. (Videos and recordings to follow...)

Dan
I have a feeling this set was taken long before you may have chosen a set Dan.

However, I feel very confident that your Walnut Kostal will be fantastic!
Old 06-08-2016, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Hi Roy,

Great to see your build thread has started, and what a lovely piece of mahogany! While I am a sucker for African Blackwood (i.e. my Baranik CX) I think mahogany will give you a really fine counterpoint to the cocobolo Meridian you already own. I am looking forward to my upcoming koa build partly for that reason.

I hope Jason sends you lots of pics!

Col
Thanks Col, looking forward to your latest Baranik build as well.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:21 AM

Congratulations. Look forward to your build thread.

I seem to be following in your foot steps. Did the Bashkin, did the Baranik, doing the Kostal in 2017.

Do you still have your Placencia?
Bashkin Placencia
Old 06-20-2016, 10:32 PM

Progress, and looking stunning in my opinion...

I just love the simple elegance of this guitar, not to mention the awesome mahogany b&s.

Last edited by racman; 06-21-2016 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:52 AM

Massive congratulations Roy, that is absolutely wonderful news and I look forward to watching this one progress!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop