The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-22-2016, 03:24 AM
Charter Member

Default HOWARD KLEPPER: Oval Hole, 000/OM (African Blackwood / Italian Spruce)

One of the most talented builders whose work I have admired who also is a contributor to this and a number of other guitar forums is Santa Rosa, CA luthier Howard Klepper (http://www.klepperguitars.com/).

Since returning to lutherie in 2001 after a two-decade hiatus working in academia; Howard has developed quite a reputation in the custom guitar community for producing unique, beautifully crafted, toneful guitars. Take a look at Howard's "Dovetail Madness" guitar that he made a few years back as an example of his artistic flair and woodworking mastery (top image below). In more recent years, Howard has also has been building some beautiful, traditionally inspired guitars for clients including Eric Schoenberg (middle images). Among these bespoke custom traditional guitars, some of these are stunning vintage CF Martin "C" and "F" model conversions some of which he shared here in the AGF Custom Shop (bottom images). After about a decade of guitar repair experience in Berkeley, CA in the 1970s I suppose a familiarity with vintage guitars comes naturally.

This Project:

For this particular custom commission, Howard is going to bring all of these skills to bear (e.g. some unique and some traditional). The guitar will be a take on a traditional 000/OM sized body, but it will incorporate a number of "unique" design twists to suit my preferences and playing needs.

Aesthetics:

Unlike a traditional 000/OM style guitar, this one will feature an oval sound hole. CF Martin did this on a larger, 0000 sized instrument back in the 1980s/1990s (MC-28, see image below). The oval soundhole will possess a similar opening surface area to a traditional 3-7/8" round sound hole for acoustic reasons.

While not fully defined yet, the top will likely have some type of sunburst or soft fade shading to it. For decoration, we will use Howard's take on colorful early CF Martin "Style 30esque” custom purflings/backstrip and contrasting Ceylon Satinwood bindings. For tuners, we ordered some Rodgers SS23 Single Gear Tuners with black pearl buttons. Here's a shot of the set (pearl is not red, photo artifact).

Playability:

For tonal balance, we chose a 24.9" to 25.4" multi-scale length (1/2” offset). The guitar will have a 1-3/4" nut width and 2-5/16" string spacing. To enhance playing comfort, the body will incorporate a 1/2" Manzer wedge. Howard will also install a sound port on the upper bout to augment the personal playing experience. The body will also incorporate a Venetian cutaway and have a shallower profile "Gibson-like" style heel for easy upper fingerboard access.

Top Wood:

For the top, Howard chose one of his E (extra) grade sets of Italian Alpine Spruce (Picea abies) that he personally selected during a visit to Rivolta Tonewood (http://www.riwoods.com/) in Tesio, Italy last year. He shared his visit with the forum in this AGF Custom Shop post (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...hlight=Rivolta). The spruce set was harvested some years back in the famous Val di Fiemme in the Dolomite region of Italy. More important than its historic provenance, is the fact that Howard went through about 150 sets to find 15 that acoustically spoke to him when handled.

Here is a shot of the Italian Alpine Spruce top set below. Howard's typical 000/OM plantilla a bit rounder shape in both the upper and lower boughts than its Nazareth inspiration. However for this project, he felt the Martin plantilla looked better with an oval soundhole.

Body Wood:

For the body tonewood, Howard will be using a two-piece set of dense, resonant, quartersawn African Blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxylon). ABW trees are quickly becoming harder and harder to find large enough to make quartersawn two-piece backs, so this set is quite unusual. Howard purchased this rosewood set some years ago from Jerry Hibdon (http://www.hibdonhardwood.com/). The set is large enough to remove the sapwood for a 15" bodied guitar. Some browns and purple hues can be seen in the darkness of the set.

Here is the back plate trimmed to shape with the heart wood removed replaced by Howard's colorful backstrip marquetry. The set is beautifully quartersawn.

As Howard forwards me with images as he progresses through the build through this summer, I will share them with you in this thread

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 05-22-2016 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 05-22-2016, 04:08 AM

Wow. From one build to another!! You're a lucky guy gorgeous ABW set Bob! Looks like Howard has gotten quite a bit of work underway with this build

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 05-22-2016, 04:18 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Marcus, I am indeed feeling quite fortunate.... Builds end up overlapping due to uncontrollable circumstances. Bill and I commissioned the archtop in late 2014 and its coming now. Howard and I began discussing this commission in the Summer of 2015. Combinations of mismatched lead and execution times between builderscreate the schedule.

Howard has just begun. The top and back plates glued up, thicknessed, rough cut, the back channeled and the backstrip installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Wow. From one build to another!! You're a lucky guy gorgeous ABW set Bob! Looks like Howard has gotten quite a bit of work underway with this build
Old 05-22-2016, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Thanks Marcus, I am indeed feeling quite fortunate.... Builds end up overlapping due to uncontrollable circumstances. Bill and I commissioned the archtop in late 2014 and its coming now. Howard and I began discussing this commission in the Summer of 2015. Combinations of mismatched lead and execution times between builderscreate the schedule.

Howard has just begun. The top and back plates glued up, thicknessed, rough cut, the back channeled and the backstrip installed.
Hahah what a great coincidence then! You mentioned that you are going for an oval sound hole for acoustic reasons. What differences might one expect?

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 05-22-2016, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

The oval sound hole is an aesthetic choice.

Maintaining a soundhole opening in the top similar in surface area to the typical 3-7/8" round hole is what I was saying is likely acoustic. I suspect as the long-axis of the soundhole gets wider, structural accomodation in the bracing will also be needed to prevent the guitar from "folding" under the load of the strings. This is really better answered by Howard. I just wanted the look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Hahah what a great coincidence then! You mentioned that you are going for an oval sound hole for acoustic reasons. What differences might one expect?
Old 05-22-2016, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Wow - I can't wait to watch this one come together!
Old 05-22-2016, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Wow - I can't wait to watch this one come together!
Me too...

I have a feeling that it is going to be a stunner!
Old 05-22-2016, 08:45 AM

At NAMM a few years back, I had dinner with the crew from the Luthier's Consortium. Howard was well represented. After an evening with plenty of libations, Howard asked me with genuine concern if I was safe to drive. I was, and I will always be thankful that he was aware of the goings on and was concerned for my welfare.

In addition to being a top shelf luthier, attorney, philosopher and all round genius, he is a kind and caring individual.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:50 AM

NICE woods, someone will be very happy with your effort!

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 05-22-2016, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Default Luthiers Consortium

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
At NAMM a few years back, I had dinner with the crew from the Luthier's Consortium. Howard was well represented. After an evening with plenty of libations, Howard asked me with genuine concern if I was safe to drive. I was, and I will always be thankful that he was aware of the goings on and was concerned for my welfare.

In addition to being a top shelf luthier, attorney, philosopher and all round genius, he is a kind and caring individual.
Thanks for sharing your story. Howard is all of those things. Glad to see that you made it home...

Ironically, if I look back at the photo from the last "Luthiers Consortium" presentation at NAM 3-years ago, I see that my acoustic flat top collection is comprised of many of the builders in this photo: Left to right, Laurent Brondel, Kent Chasson, Howard Klepper and Bruce Sexauer.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

And in the back of the photo we see Eric Schoenberg, Valerie Waid, and Randall "Sparky" Kramer, with Michael Lewis at the extreme right. Valerie was at that time the marketing force behind ToneRite, and supplied us with the floor space and display at the NAMM event.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Bruce...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
And in the back of the photo we see Eric Schoenberg, Valerie Waid, and Randall "Sparky" Kramer, with Michael Lewis at the extreme right. Valerie was at that time the marketing force behind ToneRite, and supplied us with the floor space and display at the NAMM event.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

I think that this is gonna be a wonderful build - I love watching your projects, and I think Howards work is inspiring! Looking forward to more pics -
Old 05-22-2016, 11:19 AM

OK - I'm officially jealous! Should be a great build.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:48 PM

Wow! I'm SO looking forward to following this thread. Thanks to both the OP* and Howard for the time and effort documenting and sharing with us. And how much luthier talent and expertise can be represented in one photo? Would someone be so kind as to total up the years of building experience there?

*OP always sounds so cold and impersonal, but wasn't sure you would like "JCP" as a nickname...anything to not have to hunt and peck iim7V7IM7. Hah!

Last edited by tekaitora; 05-23-2016 at 06:02 PM. Reason: edited for content

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop