The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on "De Profvndis"! The wood choices already emit a visual "deep" aura about them. I'm looking forward to continuing this feeling as it's being built.

And like Steve K. said... those tuners! Perfect choice.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Congratulations on "De Profvndis"! The wood choices already emit a visual "deep" aura about them. I'm looking forward to continuing this feeling as it's being built.

And like Steve K. said... those tuners! Perfect choice.
Thanks! The tuners are similar to ones I have on my Doerr Trinity. I really like them and like the idea of having essentially the same tuners on this guitar, just so they are familiar to me on each guitar. I chose polished bone to keep a fairly understated and classic look. Since the woods are so deep, dark, and intense, a simple white bone button helps to lighten it up a bit. I chose the bone over ivoroid because I like "authentic"/organic materials wherever possible. Same for the silver plates and hand-hammered finish.

Instruments:
2022 Dake Traphagen 12F Slope Dread--Torrefied Carpathian Spruce/Snakewood
2016 Darren Hippner "Torres" classical model--German Spruce/Pernambuco

Commissioned:
mid-2024 Michel Aboudib MA-J Fanfret--Western Red Cedar/Bois de Rose
late-2024 Michel Aboudib--TBD
Old 02-03-2016, 06:26 PM

GaultierRedon14,
Bois de Rose is a wonderful tonewood and I think you'll really be pleased with the sound but especially with the aesthetics. The wood really glows under a finish and retains a deep, eggplant-purple color. It probably is my favorite wood species but unfortunately, is incredibly difficult to source. I have a large stockpile of bridge blanks but I haven't seen any back/side sets in a very long time. You're in great hands with Steve and I'm certain he will meet your expectations and more. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Steve does with that Sitka top. BTW, here's a photo of the back of a Bois de Rose guitar I recently finished - it was my very last set .

Old 02-03-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Sort of the same idea as the John Pearse arm rest; except that this one will attach with imbedded neodymium magnets..
This is a brilliant idea! I can't wait to see the execution of it...
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 02-03-2016, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Smile Oooohhhhh

This one will be fun to watch! Lovely woods and nice concept, too!!!

I too am intrigued by the magnetic arm rest. Fab idea.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-03-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
GaultierRedon14,
Bois de Rose is a wonderful tonewood and I think you'll really be pleased with the sound but especially with the aesthetics. The wood really glows under a finish and retains a deep, eggplant-purple color. It probably is my favorite wood species but unfortunately, is incredibly difficult to source. I have a large stockpile of bridge blanks but I haven't seen any back/side sets in a very long time. You're in great hands with Steve and I'm certain he will meet your expectations and more. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Steve does with that Sitka top. BTW, here's a photo of the back of a Bois de Rose guitar I recently finished - it was my very last set .

That is a beautiful guitar Mr. Fay. Outstanding back! What figure that has. Too bad there is not more of the Bois de Rose available. I bet there would be a lot of instruments made from it.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

GR14...if my work schedule allows for a visit when the guitar is complete, but not yet shipped, I would be overjoyed to have the opportunity to play her...but I'm sure that will be a very small window of opportunity.

I'm currently juggling a kitchen remodel, a few custom-furniture projects, and a remodel of the galley on a Hatteras, so I don't foresee being able to be selective in my opportunities to visit Steve over the next couple of months...I'll simply have to take them as they present themselves.

Then again, he's only four hours to the north of me, so a quick weekend visit wouldn't be so bad...for the opportunity to hear her sing in person before she's shipped off to you. Thank you for the offer, and hopefully I'll be able to take you up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaultierRedon14 View Post
Thanks, Wood Knot. Yes, it's been a dreadful wait, but it has given me plenty of time to solidify the specs. I assume one of your trips will be post-build to play it?? You're more than welcome to!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Simon...what a beautiful guitar! There's so much visual depth that I could take a dive into the finish and never reach the bottom. Simply gorgeous!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
GaultierRedon14,

Old 02-04-2016, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Woodknot,
There will be a delay of weeks between when Steve is likely to finish it and when I'll be able to get it since I'm out of the country. I plan to have him keep it until I return for summer vacation. You can work it out with Steve once it's finished. I expect you'll have a large window of opportunity(unfortunately for me!). It'll be nice for me to get a review from others while I wait!
------------
Regarding the armrest idea, I'm really excited about it. The concept of having an armrest to avoid damping the top with your arm makes perfect sense, but I wouldn't want to put an after-market stick-on armrest on this guitar. I decided to ask Steve if he had any idea if there was a way to make a really attractive armrest that is also removable. I wasn't optimistic that he'd have a solution, because I wasn't aware of any myself. He quickly responded that he'd given thought to this question before and had ideas for it, but had never had a serious request from someone to do it. I think using these small, powerful magnets is a great idea.
-------------
Simon, thank you for posting that sweet picture of your recent Bois de Rose guitar--very beautiful! Sorry, I don't have any leads on where to acquire new sets!

Instruments:

Commissioned:
Old 02-04-2016, 09:49 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Steve--very cool idea with the armrest, especially to preserve the special wood!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Outline of the EPC-F1 Model on the Sitka top.

I intended to post the following picture when I began the thread, but had trouble uploading it. This is a 1905 copy of "Levana and our Ladies of Sorrow" (part of the Thomas DeQuincey "Suspiria de Profundis" prose poem collection mentioned previously-- http://www.bartleby.com/27/22.html ). I love the Art Nouveau/Aesthetic Movement cover design. The rosette will be vaguely similar to the leaf motif behind the title words. The overall appointment scheme will be relatively understated, although it won't fit in the "post-modern minimalist" paradigm, that's for sure.

Steve is adding a Lignum Vitae center wedge to the back. It will be a narrow piece cut from the large piece of Lignum in this picture. Steve added spirits to darken the woods to give an idea of how it'll look under finish. Beautiful and a bit surreal!

Instruments:

Commissioned:

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 02-10-2016 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:54 PM

I think that lignum vitae is going to tie in fabulously with the glacial spruce top. I'm wondering though: is the decision to use it aesthetic, or practical? Was the bois de rose not quite wide enough? Just curious - all the woods in this project are exceptional and I'm certain the final result will be stunning, as all Edwinson guitars seem to be.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

VanSandt--

The choice of a center wedge on the back is purely aesthetic. The Bois de Rose back pieces are actually wide enough for a super jumbo body size. The bindings on the guitar body will also be Lignum Vitae. Steve has finished the wedge inlay, and it looks very nice. He used a piece with a slightly wavy grain pattern. I'll have pictures of it soon.
Thanks for your comments!

Instruments:

Commissioned:

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 02-10-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Default More raw pictures of the Bois de Rose back/sides

I'm a wood lover, and since this set of tonewood back and sides is such a rare and beautiful find, I couldn't resist posting a couple more pictures I just received from Steve. He released the first "official" set of build photos today, and I thought I'd start with these, then go on to post groups of pictures showing each stage of the build process.

This photo really shows the subtleties of the grain pattern and color variations:

Close-up of the Bois side and Cocobolo double side:

Instruments:

Commissioned:
Old 02-13-2016, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Bending the sides

Laying out the sides

Ready to bend

First sides done

Fresh out of the bender

Bois and Coco

Instruments:

Commissioned:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop