The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-19-2015, 10:01 AM

Question Southern Pine for Tops???

I have some very old (~50 - 60) pine that I reclaimed from built in book cases in my childhood home. It has never been painted. It is stamped in places (ends) with the year and supplier. I think it is southern yellow pine. I have been "seasoning it" for over a decade. It spent 10 years in the rafters on an unheated detached garage. It got very hot, very cold, very dry, very moist.

Each is ~ 3/4" by 10" Lengths vary. I had been planning to have it build into finger-jointed cabinets to house "tweed" fender-style combos. My good friend who was also my amp guru passed unexpectedly last December. I'm evaluating if that took the wind out of my sails for that project as we were to undertake it together, each winding up with a cool bandmaster (or whatever).

MIGHT the wood be useful as top-wood for acoustics? Or is pine in general just too soft?

Thanks for the opinions. I posted this here instead of "general" because of the concentration of expertise in "custom" relative to the salient question.

All best and thanks.

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 11-19-2015, 10:27 AM

Instruments have been made out of all kinds of stuff - even gourds. Taylor made a point once by building a pretty nice guitar out of pallet wood.

Having said that, I don't think of Southern Yellow Pine as an instrument wood. It is quite strong and is striking to look at, making it a beautiful wood to work with. I don't know of anyone who has tested the material scientifically for suitability, but a guitar top isn't on the long list of things I would use that wood for. I'm quite a fan of southern yellow pine, but I can't see it on a guitar.
Gold Tone open back banjo
Anon. mountain dulcimer
Creaky old Framus 5/1 50
About 1/2 of Guitar One completed; currently intimidating me on account of the neck geometry.
Stacks of mahogany, spruce, maritime rosewood, western red cedar
Expensive sawdust

Old 11-19-2015, 10:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Sugar pine has seen some very limited use for soundboards but I would pass on yellow pine due to its density and weight. It makes great vertical grain flooring though.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

You have not mentioned the orientation of the boards. You will most likely want to use only material that is within a degree or so of quartersawn across its entire width. Also, you ought to want it to be fiber aligned with the surface of the soundboard. If you don't have these qualities, the top will likely be inadequately stiff nor stable enough to achieve the delicacy required for an acoustic top plate.

Also, you mention wildly varying humidity conditions in storage. These fluctuations raise the likelyhood of subtle checking degrade in the material. A single such flaw not discovered until the finishing process can be quite depressing.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Chris, we live in Southern Yellow Pine forests here in East Texas.
Lots of experience with the wood, and lots of appreciation for the tree.
It is striking, and strong, but very heavy.
It has a tendency to move, and in thin pieces grain orientation would be critical.
I have often thought, that given a really fine piece, SYP would work nicely for back and side material. But for soundboards? I feel it is too dense.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 11-19-2015, 12:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Let's see some pics.

The above responses encapsulate why SYP isn't used for tops and is used for construction. My guess is that it could make a fine top, if not a "great" one. I've seen examples from hobbyists that were passable, but as we're building a mango top instrument right now, you can top a guitar with just about anything. Whether you want to spend the money on an experiment is the rub.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 11-19-2015, 12:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ha! Guess boss and employee need to talk more during lunchtime. We're posting past each other.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 11-19-2015, 12:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yeah, you've been hitting the DQ again.

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 11-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

You know.....that's a pretty amazing and impressive resource you've got there (and we should never take for granted) - you ask a technical question about a soundboard and three replies in a row encapsulate as esteemed an expertise as there is.

I love AGF

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 11-19-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
You know.....that's a pretty amazing and impressive resource you've got there (and we should never take for granted) - you ask a technical question about a soundboard and first three replies in a row encapsulate as esteemed an expertise as there is.

I love AGF
Perfectly stated. I will get some pics and see what happens. I also want to check the exact wording in the "labeling."

After the first couple of posts, anticipating consensus, I placed a call to Mark Baier. He was out but I'm calling back. Perhaps a 6G7 or 6G7A still lurks....

The Acoustics

Old 11-19-2015, 01:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
Each is ~ 3/4" by 10" Lengths vary. I had been planning to have it build into finger-jointed cabinets to house "tweed" fender-style combos. Chris
Chris,
Given the board lengths are only 10" is another [possible] negative I missed earlier. Properly machined and glued finger joints can be stronger then the wood itself but I question how this joinery would react in carrying long grain vibration modes and possibly encourage some unwanted nodes?
Old 11-19-2015, 01:46 PM

i have built 8 or 9 out of Southern Yellow pine and they all are stable and sound great. Have done a resonator with a SYP top but not any pull on it. I can tell you it is hard as nails to bend. 350 degrees and twice in the blanket just to get it to hold a shape. It was perfectly quartered though. I would not hesitate to use it for a top on one.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:47 PM

I think it was Aubade Acoustics that posted a build just recently with southern pine back and sides. It looked very interesting.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:49 PM

oops! posted while I was typing!
Old 11-19-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Chris,
Given the board lengths are only 10" is another [possible] negative I missed earlier. Properly machined and glued finger joints can be stronger then the wood itself but I question how this joinery would react in carrying long grain vibration modes and possibly encourage some unwanted nodes?
It's not the lengths, its the widths. And I just re measured. They are 3/4 x 7.5 x 5' to 8'. Lots of length. Need to glue for wider panels (along the grain).

Mark is talking to his "guy."

The Acoustics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop