The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-09-2015, 06:58 PM

Default HFN Schatten - need a preamp?

Hi, I have a passive HFN Schatten installed in a guitar and I find it sounds pretty good as is. I'm using a short cable and plugging it into a Godin ASG-150. I prefer this to other pickups I've used. But I'm wondering if it's worth getting an external preamp. The Schatten website and common practice states that a preamp will help.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has been in the same situation.

I'm thinking that if I show up at an open mic or coffee house that I might have issues without a preamp.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!
Old 12-09-2015, 07:50 PM

I have Schatten HFN Player (passive) pickups in all of my instruments and I agree that, plugged straight in (assuming an input that accepts a passive signal), it sounds pretty darn good. However, I use a preamp and suspect that any good premap will help you shape the tone. My preamp of choice is the Baggs Venue but I've also tried the Radial PZ Deluxe and the Baggs Session. Both were fine but I keep returning to the Venue because of the better EQ control and the effects loop. One of these days I'd like to try the new Fishman Platinum Pro...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

I love the Schattens.

But the signal strength is pretty light when plugging into typical open mic PA setups. Therefore I have their mini-pre preamp. It's a belt clip unit. I've also installed their active system with and end-pin preamp. That is also a quieter signal than a typical UST/preamp system. So I've gone back to using their beltclip preamp along with the internal preampped pickup. That gives me plenty of boost. So i can let the sound guy find me with medium volume. Then i've still got some volume in reserve for a quiet piece that needs a bump.

PS - The internal preamp I use from them is the VT with a volume and tone switch. I basically EQ all the way to bass to cut trebles and harshness.

Works great !

PSPS - All soundboard transducers are more susceptible to feedback than USTs. I keep a feedback buster in my guitar case for those occasional instances where a stage monitor is going to give me trouble.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification