The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Estimated haircut on Braz Rosewood project?

Hi All,

I have a Crafters of Tennessee Brazilian Rosewood drednaught that I paid a pretty penny for that I have decided to sell. Let's just say returning it to the builder is not an option, you can do your own due diligence on that one.

The back is split in several different areas. It arrived like that...no answer at the seller's office. It has been a couple years now. A local jazz luthier glued some of the splits, but opined that the rosewood back had been cut so thin that it was very, very brittle and was going to continue to split no matter what I did.

I don't mind a beater guitar, but this is too much. The front and sides are gorgeous. The sound is fantastic. Then you flip it over and see the mess that the back has become.

So I would like to put it on the market, and I was wondering if anyone could submit an opinion about how much of a haircut the splits in the back should cost. I can get a general idea of how much a Braz rosewood dred should go for in good condition, but I don't if a buyer would want to keep the guitar as is, or replace the back with either Braz or some other tonewood.

So I am hoping to get a few opinions that basically say, "Price this at whatever you thought would be market value minus XXX dollars for repairs"

So I would be interested in whatever the pros thought the XXX figure might be.

Thanks,

CK
Old 02-24-2012, 06:02 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

How thin is the back? Are you diligent in keeping the Humidity around 50%?
Is it repairable or need a new back?
Can't voice an opinion on value without pictures. BUT, the way you paint it in the description its a project guitar, not a great guitar with cracks. Definitely a eBay candidate with clear pictures and the minimum hit you would take.
Generally project guitars on eBay price out way above what I am willing to pay.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
A local jazz luthier glued some of the splits, but opined that the rosewood back had been cut so thin that it was very, very brittle and was going to continue to split no matter what I did.
I don't understand that statement. The relative thinness of the wood doesn't change the wood's properties, making it more or less "brittle". If the wood was properly dried prior to construction, AND you keep it at a humidity level similar to that in which it was built, the wood should be stable, particularly now that you've had it for a few years. (If the wood wasn't properly dried, all bets are off.)

Depending upon where the splits are, it MIGHT be indicative of structural problems.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:25 AM

Photos necessary.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair