The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-29-2017, 10:38 AM

Default How to create recordings to give to friends - CD, or other format??

Hi, well I have a Zoom H2N but have not used it yet. I want to create a
"CD", or, more likely some other format of recorded Christmas and original fingerstyle originals. I want to present them as a gift to family and friends. What format would be expected and how do I create the product? I suspect that providing them with a CD would not be the best option as that format apparently is on the way "out" if not already ? I'm a beginner when it comes to recording and don't like complex high-tech gizmos...
Old 12-29-2017, 10:49 AM

What kind of computer?
Old 12-29-2017, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

For family and friends I might still go with CDs. With CD cases you can have nice cover art on the front and a list of tunes on the back. They are more like gifts than handing out USB drives would be. People can play them on their computers (most computers still have CD drives). However if they are not able to play the CDs at home then USB drives are a back up method.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-29-2017, 11:57 AM
Guitar Gourmet

It doesn't feel official without the physical media format (CD). You can provide a slip of paper inside with a download link as well if you like.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-29-2017, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

I agree - it is still nice to give family and friends a CD. The cover can show a list of tunes/songs and you can print a link to you music if you keep it somewhere on the net as well. This is what I do.

I would say a lot depends on what you have available already to use. For instance after recording to the Zoom you could transfer a computer, use a DAW software to edit the recordings, burn to a CD, print a CD jacket, even print directly on the CD if it is printable and you have access to printer that can do this.

There has been many threads in the Record sub forum that are worth looking up that talk about recording through something like your Zoom, and choosing and using software to edit the music.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 12-29-2017, 01:09 PM

As another perspective, most of my friends dislike dealing with CDs and only purchase music as MP3 downloads. If they go to a live show many artists simply sell download cards for new music at their shows.

Some relatives and friends, especially ones a bit older, would most likely prefer the CD format.

You might choose to do both, or stick a download link card in with your CD production.

The way we market, distribute, and use music is changing rapidly so take that into consideration.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:14 PM

I have done several of these original instrumental CD's over the years with exactly the same intent: "friends and family". These came off a Zoom H4n, separate condenser mics/ with separate pre-amp, and some sound/acoustic treatment.
Depending on how much you want to spend, you could try it "in house" or move to export your songs.
I found Matty, at www.mixandmastermysong.com to do the work with the files to make them "the best they could be" as he's a top sound engineer with studio,,, and used Discmakers in New Jersey for development of the physical CD. They have a section where you can design everything online which is fun and of course a bit intricate, but very doable.
The turnaround time for each of these outlets is fantastic.
Folks do appreciate the songs and effort it takes to put this together...and, it's also a legacy/commemoration of your hard work!
Good luck!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 12-29-2017, 01:33 PM

i've found it depends upon your family and friends. if they still have a stereo system with a cd player, or one in their car, you can provide them with a cd. if they only download or use a smart phone, you may have to put them on an internet music site and allow them to download the music.

i've got friends who have an old enough car that they can play cds in it as they no longer have a stereo system with a cd player in the house. my nephews only use a smartphone so i put the songs on the internet for them to download.

i wouldn't spend any money making thousands of cds and having them mastered as most of my family and friends wouldn't be able to tell the difference. but that is me.

you'll have to be the one to determine which route(s) to go.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-30-2017, 10:13 AM

Relevant article just appeared on our Canadian Broadcasting Corporation website:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment...ture-1.4467596
Old 12-30-2017, 10:54 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Relevant article just appeared on our Canadian Broadcasting Corporation website:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment...ture-1.4467596
Thanks for that - it contains some interesting statistcs, namely that the download market shrank far more than the CD market this year (25 to 18%). That is fascinating.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-02-2018, 08:49 AM

You needn't get hundreds of CDs replicated by a place like Discmakers.
Kunaki.com offers duplicated (CD-R format) CDs with jewel boxes and artwork in any quantity, at very inexpensive prices.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-02-2018, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

As far as making physical CDs for family and friends it's easy enough to do it yourself. You do need a CD burner, CD cases,
case labels (all of that is pretty cheap), CD burning software (free or cheap).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-02-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
You needn't get hundreds of CDs replicated by a place like Discmakers.
Kunaki.com offers duplicated (CD-R format) CDs with jewel boxes and artwork in any quantity, at very inexpensive prices.
Discmakers will do small numbers...2, 15, 50, hundreds......whatever. ...... Doing my own design with their online templates, two page, including on-disc printing, jewel case/poly wrapped, 50 duplicated CD units.....about $225 including shipping.(spring of '17). Accounts are stored with them...you can re-order small amounts or large amounts at any time.
I'll check out Kunaki...hadn't heard of them before.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-

Old 01-03-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Discmakers will do small numbers...2, 15, 50, hundreds......whatever. ...... Doing my own design with their online templates, two page, including on-disc printing, jewel case/poly wrapped, 50 duplicated CD units.....about $225 including shipping.(spring of '17). Accounts are stored with them...you can re-order small amounts or large amounts at any time.
I'll check out Kunaki...hadn't heard of them before.
They didn't use to have that option (any volume). I just did a sample quote of 10 CDs with jewel cases, shipped total cost is $51.24. Compare that with Kunaki - $19 plus shipping.
When I ordered 50 CDs from Kunaki last time, I think my total cost was about $103. (shipped).
At $2 each cost, I can afford to give some away, and occasionally offer them for $5 each and still make some money (want to buy one?) or sell them at $10 including mailing cost, and still make money.

Does Discmakers provide a UPC/barcode for free? Kunaki does, and I've used to then sell at other places (like CD Baby) that want to charge extra for that service.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-03-2018, 08:31 AM

Good to know....thanks! Yes, Discmakers provides the bar code option, which I believe is no additional cost( I didn't use it). One ingredient which likely speaks to the cost difference......staff support?
They actually provided a staff member who called me directly on the phone to introduce himself and guide me through any aspect of the project. Loved it...and did use his advice.But, you also pay for that too!
Thanks again
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD