The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2017, 01:06 PM

Default Strings on HD-28

I got a new HD-28 last year and have done a little experimenting with strings. It came with medium Phosphor Bronze strings, which sounded very good, but were hard to play. I started getting wrist problems.

I had it set up and switched to light 80/20s. The guitar became much easier to play, but I was not happy with the bass strings in that set. They were not very loud and went muddy very quickly. I LOVED the treble strings, though. They sounded super pure, not jangly at all, and sounded really pretty when recorded. I may do some more experimenting with 80/20s later.

I tried putting D'Addario PB mediums on it again, since I'd had it set up. The guitar sounded powerful and awesome (that's why I bought it!), but my wrists started hurting again. I didn't keep them on too long.

I then tried Martin's Medium-Lights in Phosphor Bronze. They were easier to play than mediums (no wrist problems), and sounded almost as good, but not quite. They are a little more jangly and metallic sounding than 80/20s in the trebles. Still, they sounded pretty darn good. I played with them for a while and enjoyed them, and considered ordering more.

Lastly, my wife got me some D'Addario Nickel Bronze Bluegrass gauge strings. They are my new favorite. They sound smooth, not metallic or jangly, but are nearly as loud as the PB mediums. I've had them on for 2 1/2 months, and I don't want to change them yet. They still sound really pretty and smooth, and not muddy or jangly at all. Bass strings are medium, so they sound big and strong. They're still holding their tuning very well. They may have lost a little volume, but I was having a hard time singing over medium PBs, anyway. Oh, yeah, and I have no wrist pain!

I may continue to try more, but I am definitely coming back to the Nickel Bronze bluegrass gauge strings!

This is, of course, all my opinion, and YMMV. Cheers!
Old 03-13-2017, 01:36 PM

The guitarist of my former band played an HD-28 with Custom light Martins SP Phospor Bronze (MSP4050). Ithink they sounded great and make the guitar easier to play. He also lowered the saddle a bit, because he mostly play folk (ex: CSNY) songs and does not dig hard. You can talk to your local luthier about that. If you don't feel confident, you can also order a new bone saddle from Maury's music and have it lowered to taste, so the operation is fully reversible.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 03-13-2017, 01:45 PM

See my signature line.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
hd-28, nickel bronze, strings