The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2016, 07:08 AM

Default Bourgeois oms vintage 12-fret

hi everyone, this is my first post, I love reading the discussions here, you can learn an awful lot!
I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the Bourgeois OMS 12 fret? There are few video's or reviews available. I'd initially put the Collings 00 12 fret as top of my list, I've played this and like it a lot, but this is in the same price band, comes with an Adriondack top, looks very nice indeed!
Has anyone played both?
Any feedback at all is greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 11-19-2016, 07:15 AM

Without looking, I would guess that the Bourgeois neck is no wider than 1 3/4" at nut to the Collings stock 1 13/16" . Ths may be of no concern to you but is a dealbreaker for me. That being said, I'd love to be true to my home state and buy a Bourgeois if not for that. I have owned a Collings DS2H since 97 and got no complaints after two refrets worth of play.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:31 AM

hey Grumble,
Ryan @ Bourgeois Guitars
on their user forum will set u straight.

http://bourgeoisforum.com/viewforum....386c8b2150ea60
Old 11-19-2016, 08:06 AM

Physically the two guitar's will be very similar. The Bourgeois might have the 1 23/32” nut or the 1 3/4" nut. You'll have to decide which sound you like best. I always prefer the Bourgeois tone to Collings. Both will likely have the same build quality and play comfort and both will be great instruments. If I were choosing between the two I would choose the Bourgeois because of my preference for the Bourgeois tone but everyone's preferences are different. Get an audio clip of the OMS and see what you prefer.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 11-19-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:12 AM

I have played both. The general descriptions of those two brands apply.

The Collings was more crisp, articulating each note. The Bourgeois is warmer and richer, with a more resonant bass.

Neither is better. They're both very well made, respected brands. It just depends on the tonal character you want. I prefer the OMS.

A few years ago I visited a shop with a smattering of high end, boutique brands. Wingert, Collings, Goodall, Huss and Dalton, Froggy Bottom, etc... An adirondack/rosewood OMS was one of 3 guitars that stood out among some very stiff competition.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

I own OMs from both Collings and Bourgeois and agree with descriptions and advice provided by Steve and dneal above. I enjoy the differences in tone so I play both, but you can't go wrong with the build quality and playability of either. There is what I consider to be a small difference in neck profiles and while I prefer the mod V of the Collings, it's not a big deal in my hands. The Bourgeois does have a bit deeper sound profile, but if you are looking at a 12-fret model, you should have plenty of depth with the Collings if that is the sound you are looking for.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I've had a Collings 0002h for many years now and I love it - so did Mando Bob my old picking pal, so some time ago he fell in .ove with a Bourgeois OMS and bought it.
Adi top, 1 & 3/4" nut width.

Both makers are excellent! The Collings is more "in your face" and perfectly balanced - Bourgeois don't lack volume or projection but they are tonally more .....subtle.

Then it gets personal. Collings necks don't seem to move - Bourgeois necks are more like Martins and (in my experience) tend to need adjustment more (I once had a wondrous DS260 which seemed very susceptible to weather changes.

Collings necks suit me, but sadly Bourgeois necks don't - they are very low profile.

I'd say the Collings is "male" and the Bourgeois" is "female"
Old 11-19-2016, 09:02 AM

I don't see it mentioned above, but if both guitars are standard then the Collings will be short scale and the Bourgeois will be long scale, if that makes a difference to you.

Jon
Old 11-19-2016, 01:36 PM

Thanks everyone, lots of info to digest, to answer a couple of points;
The nut width is 1 3/4 on the Bourgeois, I currently play a Lakewood 12 fret A32C, this has a 1.81" nut width, so I'm happy with the width. My other guitar a Collings OM1 has a 1 23/32 neck and I do find this a little narrow, although you get used to it after 10-15 mins.
I will go over to Bourgeois forum, a couple of things this has thrown some light on is the neck, I love the Collings neck, and generally the chunkier the better
The scale length I always thought had to be short, but I've modified my thinking over the years, my Lakewood is 25.6 and the Blues sound just fine on that.
My gut feeling is to go for a Collings, a 00 or 000, , but there's a lot of love for the Bourgeois and i'd like to a/b them,
thanks for your time everyone,
regards
If anyone finds any links to sound files or reviews they would be much appreciated.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:49 PM

Guitar Gallery, one of our AGF sponsors, recently listed a 2005 Bourgeois OMS with several audio files available -- https://www.guitargal.com/collections/guitars/bourgeois

Bourgeois OMS Walnut/Redwood
Bourgeois 00 Pao Rosewood/Italian
Taylor K16ce Fall Limited Koa/Cedar
Old 11-19-2016, 02:19 PM

I would not consider either the Collins or the Bourgeois as having "chunky" necks. In fact, my one and only issue with my OMS is that I wish the neck was a bit more beefy. I think fatter necks work much better on 12 fret guitars whether short or standard scale.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:24 PM

Very nice clip No.534, beautiful Guitar.
Silly Moustache, that was a very nice analogy, the male /female thing, very good!
Old 11-19-2016, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjond56 View Post
I don't see it mentioned above, but if both guitars are standard then the Collings will be short scale and the Bourgeois will be long scale, if that makes a difference to you.

Jon
Both the OMS and the Collings 000 are 25.5" Collings don't go to short scale until the "00"

Why on earth Dana calls a 000 12 fret an "OMS" is beyond me.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:32 PM

Smile

Hi Terrapin, yes fair point, and agree, the Clapton 000 is a good example of a chunky neck. I was thinking more re the 'V' etc, which sits a bit deeper in the hand.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Why on earth Dana calls a 000 12 fret an "OMS" is beyond me.
I know, right? That Froggy Bottom guy calls his an "H12". What is up with that? Everybody knows that builders have to follow Martin's naming convention.

Or not...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 fret, bourgeois, collings 00